Why I never chose to find a good job after college(s)

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Buffaloboy92
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Oct 2018, 8:55 am

In my transition between community and state college, there was a thought of getting a job early before even going back to school. When I was in community college my name was on the list of Associate degree level jobs that I could’ve found even if I decided not to continue my education. However due to low motivation and eating habits I found my efforts to begin looking for a job out of college lacking. Life wasn’t even beginning yet as I was still young. I worked two part time jobs with SSI income counted towards my tuition. I was even restricted working less than 20-25 hours a week at both jobs. It wasn’t a bad experience except that my interests could’ve been more serious looking for jobs before transferring to state college. I asked my name be taken off the list for whatever job site the search was for now I regret it. I even slacked with seeing what jobs could’ve been chosen close to graduation from state college had I taken one of two job offers from two different human service agencies seriously. As you have seen in a previous forum for “worst jobs you’ve had,” I wound up with a garbage job after college at a car dealer and I got out of that via a serving job at a banquet facility. I then left that job to return to my old job as a cart associate at a retail store and I’ve gotten into shape during my tenure there. What more is to come as life is only beginning for me. :roll:

AQ38

20 Oct 2018, 9:07 am

I'm not big on jobs either. It just never really appealed to me to sell my time to some random corporation that didn't value it at cents on the dollar. Most of the jobs that are out there for you young pups coming out of college and us oldsters who "failed" don't even have much of a point---we serve them Whoppers so they don't have to cook so they can spend that time thinking up new ways to make us feel like crap for not having enough money to buy their garbage.

Anyway, I'm getting too political, but you could read "The Abolition of Work" by Bob Black or watch this yooo toob video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DuoI4bQ07M if you wanted to go down that rabbit trail.

What's coming for you looks rather gloomy, but I wanted to encourage you to see jobs as PART of your life, not the whole thing. Please don't let your job define you. You are way to beautiful to allow yourself to become a "used car dealer" or a "waiter". You are a multifaceted multitalented human being who has to work some crappy job to pay your bills, but that job is not who you are.

Buffaloboy92

21 Oct 2018, 9:48 am

AQ 38 thank you for your words. Those were very kind of you. As for my significant other’s brother he cooks and cleans at a burger joint so he’ll try to complain. But yes our current jobs do not define who we are and there are dream jobs out there which only mean you hope to find a job you want to stay with for awhile longer than 5 years. I did so at both my college jobs and the retail one made more money than my other job as a stocker at an auto parts store. No job seems permanent for our generation but the greatest generations stayed at their jobs their whole life, some of them. How that is different from the rest of generations followed is how will the millennials be good future leaders. Lots of them out there willing to get their lives together before they are able to start new experiences. They got their whole lives so I would see no need to complain. The reason we never see much full time employment is because unemployment in the autistic population runs at 95%. That would take a lot of time to change or never change at all. I’ve had two maintenance jobs and three non-maintenance customer service jobs plus a volunteer patient transportation job Im still unaffiliated with. I was told at a job fair once I could work a front desk with my employment experience but given patience and time in an ‘uninterrupted’ hiring process and something will happen.