Why can't I get a job in what I have experience in?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

LookWhoItIs
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Jul 2019, 10:18 pm

I've been doing customer service for almost a decade...can't even get an interview for other customer service jobs. What gives?

Yeah, it's a terrible job for an Aspy, and I hate it, BUT I'm not really qualified for anything else. My degrees are useless for anything other than toilet paper.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 10:45 pm

Insufficient information.

Generally it is easier to obtain a job if you already have a job.

Sometimes the individuals you give as references that establishes your credentials, give you a poor review. This is especially true if you were fired from the job.

If you are one of their better workers and your current boss wants to keep you, he/she might give you a poor review so that other potential employers might decide not to hire you.

Working customer service requires that you have good knowledge of the operation. But companies provide different products and your specialization may not transfer to other products. For example, customer service for IT may have a different set of skills than customer service for sneakers.

Maybe your degree might seem like it is worthless but it validates the fact that you stuck it through till you obtained your degree. When I went to college, it was not so much what specific knowledge I learned but rather that I learned process of learning. So whatever field you majored in is a type of door opener. You might reinvent yourself around your major.

When I graduated from college, I sent out 500 resumes and visited a couple hundred companies in person. Without success. But then I landed a job and worked that career for over 4 decades. It wasn't exactly what I majored in but it was close. I reinvented myself. But as it turns out, the reason why I was not offered a job or multiple jobs was because there were no jobs, no openings. It really had very little to do with me. I just happened to finish school during the middle of a recession. The recession was somewhat limited to the West Coast. Had I known that if I had applied to other regions of the U.S., I probably would have been more successful.

martianprincess
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2019, 9:57 pm

This is a common sentiment I've heard from most people, unfortunately. :( It's not very easy, and it's generally a lot of work and a lot of rejection and it feels bleh. I hate job hunting.

I like wild orchids and neighbors with wide orbits

LookWhoItIs
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jul 2019, 9:37 pm

jimmy m wrote:
Generally it is easier to obtain a job if you already have a job.

I'm employed...it's not helping. Basically, almost a decade ago now, vocational rehab put me in a customer service job that I am still doing (I also substitute teach some for extra income). The job has absolutely no advancement opportunities. All I am asking for is another customer service job that has that...that's it. I don't even have to make more money starting out. I've applied to tons without hearing back.

Quote:
Working customer service requires that you have good knowledge of the operation. But companies provide different products and your specialization may not transfer to other products. For example, customer service for IT may have a different set of skills than customer service for sneakers.

You may have something there...

Quote:
Maybe your degree might seem like it is worthless but it validates the fact that you stuck it through till you obtained your degree. When I went to college, it was not so much what specific knowledge I learned but rather that I learned process of learning. So whatever field you majored in is a type of door opener. You might reinvent yourself around your major.

It's not impressing employers at all. The employers in my area either want a STEM degree OR they just want a high school diploma/GED plus years of experience that someone with that education is very unlikely to have unless they went the military route.

martianprincess wrote:
This is a common sentiment I've heard from most people, unfortunately. :( It's not very easy, and it's generally a lot of work and a lot of rejection and it feels bleh. I hate job hunting.

It's the absolute worst. I would seriously pay someone to job search for me, but it would have to be commission-based ha ha (in other words, they would only get paid if they got me a job).

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2019, 9:42 pm

LookWhoItIs wrote:
I've been doing customer service for almost a decade...can't even get an interview for other customer service jobs. What gives?

Yeah, it's a terrible job for an Aspy, and I hate it, BUT I'm not really qualified for anything else. My degrees are useless for anything other than toilet paper.

What are your degrees?

There are a number of degrees that are pretty useless. Most are probably various liberal arts degrees. There really isn't a big demand outside of teaching for many of them.

One non-liberal arts degree that appears to often be more of a hobby degree is geology. I've known a number of people with geology degrees, but only one who ever actually worked as a geologist.