Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2021, 7:23 pm

Yes, I got into grad school, but they admitted without me borrowing money or my own funding I couldn't afford it. Also it involves teaching children and I'd be the only adult around and I'm horrible at that... Plus it's off campus in a tiny-isolated town... I don't think I'd do well there...

On the other hand, I applied to a permanent Federal position with the US Forest Service working at a visitors center... Very ironically in the same exact area my previous AmeriCorps position was based in... Actually same exact town!! !

This position involves stuff I've done very well in the past... And it's only open to certain groups, though thankfully one is Schedule A...

But I keep putting my hope in these positions! Like that other grad school bird one, they said I don't have the skills they seek...

And should I even be working? Am I only just trying to run away from my problems? I blocked so many relatives on my FB, but living close to them I know I'm gonna encounter them more... IDK....

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2021, 7:29 pm

I don't have answers. Just wishes that whatever happens turns out to be good!

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2021, 9:01 pm

Well, I just don't trust my own opinions...

I mean it's a problem, I think others know better than me...

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 11:51 pm

I would say go for it.
Hope I'm not misunderstanding the situation, but I feel like you need to have that independence of having a job to be able to completely sever ties to your relatives and start over.
Just try not to get anxious about how things go at the start of the new job, it's always hard in the first few weeks, but if you can stick it out you'll be OK.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 11:54 pm

Angnix wrote:
Yes, I got into grad school, but they admitted without me borrowing money or my own funding I couldn't afford it. Also it involves teaching children and I'd be the only adult around and I'm horrible at that... Plus it's off campus in a tiny-isolated town... I don't think I'd do well there...

On the other hand, I applied to a permanent Federal position with the US Forest Service working at a visitors center... Very ironically in the same exact area my previous AmeriCorps position was based in... Actually same exact town!! !

This position involves stuff I've done very well in the past... And it's only open to certain groups, though thankfully one is Schedule A...

But I keep putting my hope in these positions! Like that other grad school bird one, they said I don't have the skills they seek...

The job you were offered sounds like a dream job in the foresty centre. Why not take up the offer and come back later and do grad school when you have put away money into your savings?

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2021, 5:36 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Angnix wrote:

The job you were offered sounds like a dream job in the foresty centre. Why not take up the offer and come back later and do grad school when you have put away money into your savings?

I don't have it yet.... But it's very likely I'll get an interview at least...
My social worker I talked to today wants me to go for it for sure and to keep distancing myself from family members...

My main worry would be housing, the listing says "Government housing may be available" but it doesn't get more specific and I asked about that and other things, but they haven't answered me yet...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2021, 5:53 pm

I agree that you must make sure you have housing before you embark on this Grad School thing.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 8:27 am

*IF* you are offered the Forestry Service position it sounds like you are pretty sure you would like the job.

*IF* you could afford to rent something that would meet your living needs and was near enough to the job...

Sounds Wonderful!

Otherwise you have to choose whether you can get through grad school, or not. School might not be pleasant but it is not permanent. It is a temporary "inconvenience" that is between you and whatever else waits for you on the other side of it. You would not have to endure it forever, just long enough to graduate. If you keep remembering that, it might help.