How was your day or week at work?

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

maxiefried
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Apr 2021, 6:51 am

Hi! I find work really difficult, and I'm starting a new job in the next few weeks, and change feels quite difficult, especially when it's a change as big as a new workplace.

I thought I'd create a thread where we could check in about how our day or week at work has been. :) Work causes me significant anxiety and I know I'd find it helpful to have somewhere to debrief after work, and I'd be interested to hear how everyone else is doing with their work too, maybe we can get a communal debrief space going.

I'm planning to post here each week to debrief about my week at work, or after individual workdays if I feel like it. Join me! How was your day or week at work?

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2021, 3:45 am

My week was boring and uneventful, but no news is good news, right? I mean, at least nothing bad happened.

browneyedgirlslowingdown
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 May 2021, 9:38 pm

I resigned but my contract goes until June. It was a rough week, I am anxious about the week coming up.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 50 of 200
You are very likely on the broader autism cluster (Aspie)
Systemising Quotient (SQ) 78
Empathy Quotient (EQ) 41
CAT-Q 156 Compensation 56 Masking 48 Assimilation 52

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2021, 11:40 pm

I haven't been to work in over a year :oops:
Basically I told them I was uncomfortable with the lack of masks and social distancing, and they basically gave me the finger.
I've thought about finding something new, but with how sick I've been, I don't know what I could even do.
I really need to get off my butt and apply for disability.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2021, 12:11 am

I like the idea of this thread, it's good to have somewhere to vent about work stresses.

Though I've nothing to report yet - I go back tomorrow after over a week of leave :)

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2021, 5:00 am

I thought there'd be lots of work piled up waiting for my attention when I got back from leave - but there was hardly enough to fill my first day back.

I actually find slow periods like this really unsettling.
It's much better to have enough to keep me busy, otherwise I start getting paranoid, wondering if nobody's giving me work because they're trying to get rid of me or something.

Can anyone relate, or is that just me?

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2021, 10:21 am

MrsPeel wrote:
I thought there'd be lots of work piled up waiting for my attention when I got back from leave - but there was hardly enough to fill my first day back.

It's much better to have enough to keep me busy, otherwise I start getting paranoid, wondering if nobody's giving me work because they're trying to get rid of me or something.

Yeah I know the feeling, though I'd like to add that for me it also brings the fear that people will think I'm lazy if they don't see me hard at work, but if there's no work to do how can I work hard?

Fortunately, while this was a problem in my previous job, I've had my hands full in my current one. The lock down did give me a scare though since my usual tasks can't be done from home, but fortunately there was other stuff that could be done on my home computer, so I didn't have to stop working.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2021, 4:08 pm

Work was stressful last week. I wouldn't be so stressful if we didn't have to disinfect everything on top of our standard duties (thanks to the pandemic everything people touch has to be disinfected every day and it's my job to do that because I am a cleaner). I'm OK with it but the shift just isn't long enough to do everything without rushing, and having 2 rather selfish co-workers working there who slows everyone down just makes it stressful. There's also a guy there who likes being a jerk and finds fault in everything we do even though we do a thorough job.
It used to be a laid-back place to work before all this COVID started.

Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2021, 11:00 pm

I've had a holiday this week, but last week was ok. Recently I'm doing a lot of CAD, wish I could have some CG-making for a few days, or translations. Having real meetings and actually meeting people are high up on the wishlist too.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2021, 1:34 am

maxiefried wrote:
Hi! I find work really difficult, and I'm starting a new job in the next few weeks, and change feels quite difficult, especially when it's a change as big as a new workplace.

I thought I'd create a thread where we could check in about how our day or week at work has been. :) Work causes me significant anxiety and I know I'd find it helpful to have somewhere to debrief after work, and I'd be interested to hear how everyone else is doing with their work too, maybe we can get a communal debrief space going.

I'm planning to post here each week to debrief about my week at work, or after individual workdays if I feel like it. Join me! How was your day or week at work?

my day at work was okay.....

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2021, 9:15 pm

Sunday through Wednesday this week, I work 9 am to 5pm. Part time job, and usually 27 to 34 hours a week. It was pretty hot. Even more tired than usual. Paws blisters make it hard to walk. Cart pusher. Load merchandise into cars. Socially don't have to sit around trying to have a conversation with precious lil "people", like a cashier. That's good. However, trying to lift:. Toilet, mulch, sink, refrigerator, tank, tub, too heavy. Right paw still sore from three months ago trying to load two by fours. And I am just 38. Uneventful this week. Coworkers and customers, loud and annoying. They talk too much and too dramatic but whatever. For unskilled labor, it doesn't get much better than this. The public transportation takes a lot of time and energy. Not getting enough sleep especially lately. Sometimes wake up in the middle of the night and can't sleep more. Sometimes can't fall asleep.

I am getting too old for this

After they make me redundant, I will then be completely (unemployable)

angelofdarkness
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 May 2021, 10:27 pm

Kind of rough since I'm working two jobs the newest one I've been at few a few weeks im having a hard time learning how to make pizzas and do some of the stuff properly. The other im not getting enough hours to pay the bills alone on. Its tiring working both jobs back to back in a day but ill have to make a choice eventually

maxiefried
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 May 2021, 12:39 pm

I haven't worked in about a month and I booked two shifts next weekend. I'm super nervous. Will I get things right, will someone be angry at me, who will be on shift with me, etc.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2021, 1:48 pm

MrsPeel wrote:

When I run out of stuff to do at work I get nervous too but because the director walks back and forth the hallway upstairs and can see me doing nothing in the workshop. Remember.....always hide in the toilets for at least 5 hours a day if you run out of work.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2021, 9:48 am

Eventful, for once. Or well, not really, but something out of the ordinary happened in the morning. The association I work for rents space from a big archives building, and some big shots leading the place who usually work somewhere else were touring around the building. One stopped at me and my coworker's workstation and asked me who I was, what I was doing and for whom. I got a little tongue tied at first since this kind of stuff rarely happens and when it does, people tend to address my coworker, be it because he's a man or because he's clearly older, dunno, but in the end I did manage to answer his questions. I'm actually glad that I was wearing a mask because I think my face went red from embarrassment, which tends to happen when I get tongue tied. I'm also embarrassed 'cause I was wearing sunglasses even though we were indoors. I was wearing them for a reason of course; the lights I have to use while working are very bright, so it'd be a strain on my eyes not to wear them. My former coworker used to wear them too for the same reason, but that person might not have realized that I wore them due to the light, so I might've looked stupid. And it would've probably been proper etiquette to take them off while speaking.

Oops, but well, I'll live. :oops:

adoylelb90815
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 May 2021, 5:11 pm

I'm still waiting to get the call back to work due to the pandemic shutting us down. Some are starting to go back as of Monday, and I should be getting the call next week with a start date. Due to capacity restrictions, we all can't go back at the same time. I'm fully vaccinated as well, but I have no problems with wearing masks at first, since it's like any other workplace safety guideline in my opinion.