Is it legal for a state job agency not to help me?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2021, 4:46 am

I tried to get the state vocational rehab agency to help me get a job after college as a disabled person.i thought as a disabled person i had federally protected civil rights to help me get a job but they were never honored.i just basically gave up on ever getting a job for another company because i had enough resources but it would of been good to be able to get out of the house.Its frustrating because I made straight A's in high school and college and now im unemployable.I feel like i wasted the first 20 to 25 years of my life getting ready for a 9 to 5 that never came.The only job outside of working for the family business ii can have s a retail McJob making McWages in work environments that are aint spectrum friendly or mowing yards again working with gasoline which scares me.

My college degree was so long ago that its obselete now.I dont want to be dependent on my family forever but it looks like thats the way its gonna go down.I have to have a job coach to train me for my job environment or else i cant perform the job.

Am i legally protected in my job search dealing with the Texas state vocational rehab agency as a disabled American?I dont know how to go about asking a lawyer about it because i never have hired a lawyer before.Also, I feel self-esteem issues for having so much free time on my hands.Does federal law protect me in my situation.I feel like the state employment agency has made me even more unemployable because i waited on them for 5 years and i have no experience in a paid job becasue of my disability and situation.I dont need the money.I just want something to do to pass the time and to not make school and college feel like a waste. Thanks.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 7:00 am

You should start with going to the website known as Disability Rights Texas.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 8:18 am

You would be better off to hire a lawyer to look into this for you.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 8:26 am

Well has voc rehab outright refused to help you? Or are you just disappointed with the help they have given?

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2021, 3:04 pm

Two ideas:

1) H&R Block sells tax classes every Sept. for about $100. They have jobs for about 5 weeks from late Dec. to early Feb. No guarantee for the job, but highly likely. They really need people for this beginning-of-the-season rush.

It’s a chaotic work environment, but I always felt my clients were lucky to get me. I was brief and matter-of-fact — and honest — about disclosing the negatives of the loan and bank products. And I made a point to get good at Earned Income Credit.

One year out of four I was fired from the job. But that means three years out of four I wasn’t!

2) I wish we had non-profit Autism Centers.

One thing, if you walk in with an advocate, either for the lawyer or the Rehab Agency, the man or woman there is likely to be on their best behavior. This gets the odds appreciably more in your favor.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2021, 11:07 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
You should start with going to the website known as Disability Rights Texas.

I think we might of and we even went through like an ombudsmen or state office for the disabled because DARS wont help me.However it did not work.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2021, 11:13 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Well has voc rehab outright refused to help you? Or are you just disappointed with the help they have given?

Well They have kept us waiting for about 5 years for my first entry-level job right out of college.There's a revolving door of DARS workers because its not given high priority and funding in Texas.The DARs people seem to only want to put people like us in Min Wage jobs even if we have 4 year degrees like i do .A couple years ago a DARS person we were working with said that they would get me a job requiring a 4 year job but nobody will hire me with out 3-5 years of experience and I am 30 so its kind of late to get your first job out of college..

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2021, 11:14 pm

Fnord wrote:

Ya that is true Fnord.Sadly i have no way of getting a lawyer.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2021, 8:20 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Ya that is true Fnord. Sadly i have no way of getting a lawyer.
Contact the local law schools.  Ask for a list of advocacy programs for the disabled.  Ask which ones do pro-bono work.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2021, 8:20 am

Fnord wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Contact the local law schools.  Ask for a list of advocacy programs for the disabled.  Ask which ones do pro-bono work.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 11:59 pm

Fnord wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Thanks for the advice.Sadly i am only qualified to work a McJob making McWages or unpaid internship or volunteering according to the local disablity advocacy program despite having a 4 year degree.There are no law schools in my area.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 8:16 am

1. Advisors offer advice.
2. Advisee dismisses advice.
3. Go to Step 1.

:roll: There is no "End" step.