Page 3 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2021, 4:01 am

badRobot wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Okay I am trying to get a McJob so i can at least get some experience and i am working some paid internships.

Like I said, you should take employers perspective into account. If you are on the spectrum and it is obvious, have a college degree, in your 30s then you have a better chance at getting a different job. If you are applying for some McJob position normally occupied by very young school drop-outs as "in-between" gig, you don't match the pattern, and your condition is a huge liability because you would need to get along with a lot of people, young coworkers with various backgrounds, customers. You have no chances to get this job.

This is magnitudes of order less of an issue in positions like data entry, they don't give a s**t about your condition if your job is filling forms in a cubicle on your own. Take these factors into consideration.

well the problem with that is that the state workforce people refuse to help me get a clerical job.they are making me take a McJob if i want to work at all.So its either a McJob or no job.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2021, 4:30 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
well the problem with that is that the state workforce people refuse to help me get a clerical job.they are making me take a McJob if i want to work at all.So its either a McJob or no job.

You are not allowed to apply for jobs without state workforce or something? How many job applications did you send in the last 5 years? It should be like 10 000 if you send like 5 a day.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2021, 5:08 am

badRobot wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

You are not allowed to apply for jobs without state workforce or something? How many job applications did you send in the last 5 years? It should be like 10 000 if you send like 5 a day.

ya i can only do it with the state wirkforce because I am disabled and i need job accomdations and coaching.Also, I live in small podunk Texas and they put all autistic people into only mcjobs even if they have degrees because the state does not give them the funding and resources and workers needed to help me.The state makes me go through them.We got with workforce 5 years ago and we are still waiting for their help.I heard the waiting list is years long.I am thinking about giving up my job search.I did have a job coach withou them but we are paying for them and we were paying more money than we were making to work a McJob so i was losing money every paycheck working a McJob.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2021, 5:22 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
badRobot wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

ya i can only do it with the state wirkforce because I am disabled and i need job accomdations and coaching.Also, I live in small podunk Texas and they put all autistic people into only mcjobs even if they have degrees because the state does not give them the funding and resources and workers needed to help me.The state makes me go through them.We got with workforce 5 years ago and we are still waiting for their help.I heard the waiting list is years long.I am thinking about giving up my job search.I did have a job coach withou them but we are paying for them and we were paying more money than we were making to work a McJob so i was losing money every paycheck working a McJob.

I don't get it. If there is something like work from home remote data entry, copywriting or editor job opening with $18-$20/hr, you are not allowed to apply without state workforce?

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2021, 5:27 am

badRobot wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
badRobot wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

I don't get it. If there is something like work from home remote data entry, copywriting or editor job opening with $18-$20/hr, you are not allowed to apply without state workforce?

Well i could theoretically apply to a work from home job that did not require a job coach but I wanted to work from home and my counselor said basically something to the effect that i have no hope of getting any job except a job flipping burgers with no experience.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2021, 5:35 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Well i could theoretically apply to a work from home job that did not require a job coach but I wanted to work from home and my counselor said basically something to the effect that i have no hope of getting any job except a job flipping burgers with no experience.

Don't listen to stupid counsellors, just search for jobs that fit you, match your strengths and weaknesses, consistently work on improving your resume and send applications every day. Make the numbers work for you. 10000 applications at 1% chance of getting a job means 100 jobs you get. And signup for online course, start learning some practical skills in whatever field you like.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2021, 5:44 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

Almost none of your strengths, like your college degree matter at a job flipping burgers, but all your weaknesses make it almost impossible. Your disability, the need of accommodations and coaching, risks of workplace bullying, confrontations with customers, workplace injury, potential lawsuit in case of injury, potential disability discrimination lawsuit in case you are fired, this all makes your employment unprofitable and a huge lability, there no hope of getting a job flipping burgers.

On the opposite, you are almost guaranteed to get a job if it matches your strengths and your disability is not a factor at all. Your counsellor is dumb.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

07 Sep 2021, 6:33 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
I think this "counselor" is doing very, very poor job.
Actually, quite the opposite of what they should be doing.
Consider firing them.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2021, 7:40 am

Why don't you look at the civil service tests for your state, your city, your county, and for federal jobs?

That's how I got my job. And I was only a high school graduate when I got my job.

Apply for a civil service test. And pass that test. You will be put on a "list." It might take a couple of years----but if you get a high score, they'll pick you up within that couple of years.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2021, 9:03 pm

You're in a small town, so I'm thinking some remote (online) data entry or something. You wouldn't make much at first, but you would start gaining experience and building your confidence. My BFF and I both had "crap" jobs after my BSEE and her Masters. I temped doing paperwork -once did inventory: counting buttons which I remember I liked but wasn't very good at it (kept recounting); she did data entry (for a retail catalog and then for medical). It took us near four years to build our confidence/resume but it was worth it. We both happened upon jobs with ND key persons who saw the strengths of our ASD and hired us. It's ironic that we couldn't sustain McJobs, but we could sustain careers working with data.

BTW volunteering has been a way for me to "branch" out. While I am between jobs this year, I found a great thrift store to volunteer at - quiet, dimly lit, community-oriented (inclusive; seems to have lots of ND volunteers) ... perfect for me. I'm also nervous about can I find a "fit" again... time will tell... for one thing I am very persistent and although I hear resilience is better, persistence pays off also.

Wishing you well - hoping you find something that clicks for you.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2021, 5:03 pm

I hope it isn’t true. I am hoping to relocate to Seattle, and I would need to find something that pays at least $112,000/year, the minimum salary need to afford a house there.

My degree is in geography, and I have about 5 years of GIS experience, but GIS jobs are almost impossible to come by in both Seattle and Houston, and they don’t pay the salary I need. So what jobs would there be where my skills could transfer to a higher paying job in Seattle?

Or am I permanently trapped in Houston?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2021, 11:05 am

And as far as autism goes, we’re treated worse than people with schizophrenia are (and they’re stereotyped as *murderers*!)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2021, 11:13 am

Double Retired wrote:

(1) It's better to have a degree than than to not have a degree if you don't go deeply into debt getting a degree that isn't very marketable.

(2) It's better to have a degree credential than to not have a degree credential. There are technical schools and training programs for skilled trades and positions.
One of my best hires had only Cisco certifications right out of high school.  Sadly, he saw his first job as a "stepping stone" to management positions in other companies and we lost him.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2021, 12:04 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
badRobot wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

I can attest to our piss poor disability resource system.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 5:07 pm

badRobot wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

Don't listen to stupid counsellors, just search for jobs that fit you, match your strengths and weaknesses, consistently work on improving your resume and send applications every day. Make the numbers work for you. 10000 applications at 1% chance of getting a job means 100 jobs you get. And signup for online course, start learning some practical skills in whatever field you like.

what kind of online class would you sign up for?Sadly there are less than 100 companies in this area I could work at and be a good fit at.My cousnesor think im entitled and wrong for wanting to make a living wage as a 4 year college degree holder....I am like isnt that the whole point of a bachelor's degree for most people.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 5:08 pm

magz wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
I think this "counselor" is doing very, very poor job.
Actually, quite the opposite of what they should be doing.
Consider firing them.

Ya I am giving the state job agency no more chances after this one.