Truck driver shortage: Opportunity for some of us?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 2:51 am

Those of us who are not educated enough for most decent-paying jobs, but who are able to drive a car, might want to consider learning to drive a truck. Here in the U.S.A., there are severe truck driver shortages these days, according to news stories here and here.

Truck-driving is probably NOT a good long-term career. Within the next decade or so, human truck drivers are likely to be replaced by self-driving trucks. This will likely take longer to happen than predicted by various folks in Silly Valley, but it probably will eventually happen.

However, driving a truck might still be a good way for some of us to earn money for the next several years, perhaps while also taking online courses to prepare for something better in the long run.

Of course, truck driving would not be a good option for the many autistic people (such as myself) who, due to attention issues or sensory issues, can't safely drive even a car. But hopefully it might be suitable for some of us.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2021, 3:59 pm

Quote:
Within the next decade or so, human truck drivers are likely to be replaced by self-driving trucks. This will likely take longer to happen than predicted by various folks in Silly Valley, but it probably will eventually happen.

There are relatively cheap self-driving retrofitting kits for old trucks. FWIK, this is mostly legislative regulation problem at this point. It might easily change literally in a few weeks and shortage of truck drivers makes it more likely to happen very soon.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2021, 4:26 pm

I am sure that there are millions of lazy people who will make up any excuse to turn down a truck-driver's job.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2021, 3:11 am

Fnord wrote:
I am sure that there are millions of lazy people who will make up any excuse to turn down a truck-driver's job.

It's funny truck drivers who have already invested time and money into getting CDL, already have all the paperwork, experience and been offered up to 30% salary raise are among those millions. If people who already have all the prerequisites refuse to come back and choose to use pandemic break to learn some new skills and get a new job, it's kind of a good reason to think twice if this is a worthy opportunity.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2021, 3:32 am

Hmm, looks like autonomous trucks are indeed further along than I expected, judging by this article in IEEE Spectrum.

So it's a bit odd that recent news stories I've seen about the truck driver shortage don't mention this, but instead mention only a desire by trucking companies for more immigrants to be allowed in to do the driving.

But thanks, badRobot, for bringing this to our attention. I wouldn't want to mislead anyone here. If you can conveniently do so, it would be helpful if you could post some relevant links.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2021, 6:23 pm

Nonverbal learning disability comorbid with autism

Nonverbal learning disability, same as visual spatial learning disorder

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2021, 12:41 am

It does appear that there is a genuine short-term need for BUS drivers, even if not for truck drivers, at least here in the NYC area. Here's a help-wanted ad from the MTA.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2021, 9:43 am

I didn't know the shortage of truck drivers was happening in America too.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2021, 9:48 am

Autonomous trucks are in response to past shortages of human truck-drivers.

Also, it is fair to point out that current laws still require a licensed driver to be present behind the wheel, and for that driver to take over driving when necessary.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2021, 5:58 pm

People are just being idiots, and not getting vaccinated.

This could potentially cause serious problems.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2021, 10:52 am

In the U.S., I’ve read that companies really try to bait-and-switch you from being a regular employee to being an “owner operator”-in-progress where you have all these fees taken out of your check. Meaning, they’re very slow to assign your trips unless you make this switch.

And this after you’ve incurred maybe $8,000 in student debt for the training.