How do I figure out whats truly important to me?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2021, 1:43 pm

How do I figure out whats truly important to me in terms of getting a job?

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2021, 1:45 pm

Get some work experience

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2021, 2:40 pm

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB wrote:
 20 Ways To Improve Your Chances of Getting a Job 

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2021, 3:59 pm

Fnord wrote:
TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB wrote:

@Fnord

Do you have a link for picking/choosing the correct industry?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2021, 4:23 pm

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB wrote:
Fnord wrote:
TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB wrote:
@Fnord: Do you have a link for picking/choosing the correct industry?
I am going to be very blunt with you.  Do not read the spoiler below if your feelings might get hurt.

You really need to start thinking for yourself.  There is no "correct" industry; there are only jobs for which you are best suited.  So you need to make a self-assessment, and determine: (1) your interests, (2) your skill set, (3) your abilities and disabilities, and (4) what you are willing to do.

You also need to show initiative.  Any employer that must constantly tell you what to do and how to do it will eventually tell you to find employment elsewhere.  The people who know how to find their own answers will last longer and go farther in their careers than those poor, sad souls who seem to have no idea whether they should "fish or cut bait".

Do I make myself clear?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2021, 4:37 pm

Fnord wrote:
TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB wrote:
Fnord wrote:
TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB wrote:
I am going to be very blunt with you.  Do not read the spoiler below if your feelings might get hurt.

You really need to start thinking for yourself.  There is no "correct" industry; there are only jobs for which you are best suited.  So you need to make a self-assessment, and determine: (1) your interests, (2) your skill set, (3) your abilities and disabilities, and (4) what you are willing to do.

You also need to show initiative.  Any employer that must constantly tell you what to do and how to do it will eventually tell you to find employment elsewhere.  The people who know how to find their own answers will last longer and go farther in their careers than those poor, sad souls who seem to have no idea whether they should "fish or cut bait".

Do I make myself clear?

Very clear, I appreciate your bluntness it's helpful for me personally, I like very direct communication. No feelings hurt. Thank you :)

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2021, 6:28 am

Fnord wrote:
TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB wrote:
Fnord wrote:
TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB wrote:

Do I make myself clear?

@Fnord

Do you have any resources which will help me answer those 4 questions?

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2021, 7:56 am

babybird wrote:
Get some work experience

I know this seems a short reply, but working in lots of different jobs did help me narrow down what I wanted to do.

Are you looking for a job now or are you trying to choose a college course that will help you establish career?

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2021, 12:05 pm

hurtloam wrote:
babybird wrote:
Get some work experience

I know this seems a short reply, but working in lots of different jobs did help me narrow down what I wanted to do.

Are you looking for a job now or are you trying to choose a college course that will help you establish career?

@hurtloam

Looking for a job now. What do you do?

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2021, 12:16 pm

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB wrote:
hurtloam wrote:
babybird wrote:
Get some work experience

@hurtloam

I do computery stuff.

I wasn't sure what I wanted to do. I did office work for a long time, but found it boring. I did a multimedia course at a technical college because it taught all sorts of computer related things in creative industries such as sound production, video editing, web design, graphic design, digital photography. I got a taste for a few different things. It was hard finding a job after that because I hadn't focussed on one specific thing; I was a jack of all trades and master of none.

My first job out of college was an office job again. It was all I could get, but because I had done some web dev at college I got to work on the company website which improved my skills. Each job I did after that had some web dev elements and I've ended up on a support desk for a large organisation now, sort of. It's a complicated job to explain. I have to be a jack of all trades in this job to fix issues and solve problems, so basically I'm a master Googler.

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2021, 12:49 pm

hurtloam wrote:
TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB wrote:
hurtloam wrote:
babybird wrote:
Get some work experience

@hurtloam

I do computery stuff.

I wasn't sure what I wanted to do. I did office work for a long time, but found it boring. I did a multimedia course at a technical college because it taught all sorts of computer related things in creative industries such as sound production, video editing, web design, graphic design, digital photography. I got a taste for a few different things. It was hard finding a job after that because I hadn't focussed on one specific thing; I was a jack of all trades and master of none.

My first job out of college was an office job again. It was all I could get, but because I had done some web dev at college I got to work on the company website which improved my skills. Each job I did after that had some web dev elements and I've ended up on a support desk for a large organisation now, sort of. It's a complicated job to explain. I have to be a jack of all trades in this job to fix issues and solve problems, so basically I'm a master Googler.

@hurtloam

I would also define myself as a bit of a master Googler. Well for my own problems at least. I worked in IT before but the lack of training & support I struggled with. Also the fact all calls are problems there isn't any down time to breathe where everything is going well and everything is working because you only hear from people when something is broken or they have a problem you need to fix yesterday. How do you deal with solving very difficult problems on a very tight deadline?

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2021, 2:41 pm

Yes, I've had jobs with a bad lack of training. It was horrifically stressful.

This job isn't too bad with time sensitivity. I don't cope well under pressure. I can discuss things with my team and there are other departments that I can talk to for complicated issues that my team can't fix.

Thankfully I don't get deadlines that are too tight.

I get projects to work on too, so there's a bit of collaboration and it's not all problems and stressed out people I'm dealing with.

DoniiMann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Oct 2021, 4:52 pm

First decide if you want a survival job or a career. Survival jobs are the 'whatever you can get' types of jobs that pay your bills. But the risk is that you might not know until you get it if it fits you. I've had a few such jobs that I only lasted in for a day or a week. If you do find a good fit, you might limit yourself to that field. Then you're developing a career. That requires determination and making choices.

Best case scenario is using survival jobs to fund training for a career. Hardest thing is to keep on track and not drifting in a survival job that you're successful in. Such jobs could end any time, and then you start the rat race again. Careers increase employability.

Once you've determined which of the two models you'll pursue, you might look online for articles about about autists and work, getting to know yourself tests, etc.

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2021, 2:26 pm

hurtloam wrote:

This job isn't too bad with time sensitivity. I don't cope well under pressure. I can discuss things with my team and there are other departments that I can talk to for complicated issues that my team can't fix.

I get projects to work on too, so there's a bit of collaboration and it's not all problems and stressed out people I'm dealing with.

@hurtloam

Hi hurtloam, can you PM me? I tried to PM you but it didn't send. Thanks

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2021, 2:38 pm

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB wrote:
hurtloam wrote:

@hurtloam

Hi hurtloam, can you PM me? I tried to PM you but it didn't send. Thanks

I got your message. You should have a response from me sent earlier today.

TB_TB_TB_TB_TB_TB
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2021, 4:22 pm

DoniiMann wrote:
First decide if you want a survival job or a career. Survival jobs are the 'whatever you can get' types of jobs that pay your bills. But the risk is that you might not know until you get it if it fits you. I've had a few such jobs that I only lasted in for a day or a week. If you do find a good fit, you might limit yourself to that field. Then you're developing a career. That requires determination and making choices.

Best case scenario is using survival jobs to fund training for a career. Hardest thing is to keep on track and not drifting in a survival job that you're successful in. Such jobs could end any time, and then you start the rat race again. Careers increase employability.

Once you've determined which of the two models you'll pursue, you might look online for articles about about autists and work, getting to know yourself tests, etc.

@DoniiMann

"Hardest thing is to keep on track and not drifting in a survival job that you're successful in."

You are definitely right about that!