Knowing someone's IQ as an employer

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Itendswithmexx
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Oct 2021, 4:32 am

For example if I were an employer and had 1000 resumes to go through. I think knowing someone’s iq would speed up that process ?
Like my mother said to me if they had to choose between someone with a degree and someone without who you think is going to have that advantage over the other?
Life’s short. I think it should be mandatory.

Last edited by Cornflake on 27 Oct 2021, 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.: Clarified topic title.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2021, 10:24 am

Itendswithmexx wrote:
For example if I were an employer and had 1000 resumes to go through. I think knowing someone’s iq would speed up that process?
No, it does not. A high IQ score does not always correspond to one’s ability (or their willingness) to do their assigned work, especially if the requisite skills are missing.
Itendswithmexx wrote:
Like my mother said to me if they had to choose between someone with a degree and someone without who you think is going to have that advantage over the other?
Having a degree and having a high IQ score do not always correlate, either. Some people are just smart enough to earn their degrees, but not smart enough to apply what they have learned. Some people with high IQ scores are “too smart for their own good” and cannot handle classrooms or work environments.
Itendswithmexx wrote:
As a person directly involved in the hiring process, I whole-heartedly disagree. You have no idea how many self-professed “jeenyusses” show up at my company’s door and expect to be hired into a salaried position on the spot because (they say) they are so very smart, even though they lack the credentials to convince anyone of their claims.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2021, 12:00 pm

Fnord wrote:
Itendswithmexx wrote:
For example if I were an employer and had 1000 resumes to go through. I think knowing someone’s iq would speed up that process?
No, it does not. A high IQ score does not always correspond to one’s ability (or their willingness) to do their assigned work, especially if the requisite skills are missing.
Itendswithmexx wrote:
Having a degree and having a high IQ score do not always correlate, either. Some people are just smart enough to earn their degrees, but not smart enough to apply what they have learned. Some people with high IQ scores are “too smart for their own good” and cannot handle classrooms or work environments.
Itendswithmexx wrote:
As a person directly involved in the hiring process, I whole-heartedly disagree. You have no idea how many self-professed “jeenyusses” show up at my company’s door and expect to be hired into a salaried position on the spot because (they say) they are so very smart, even though they lack the credentials to convince anyone of their claims.

I think what shouldn't be overlooked is the ability for a complete moron to get a degree in a subject they're utterly obsessed with. Even someone with a low IQ can develop an impressive depth on knowledge on a subject they find fascinating.

Itendswithmexx
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Oct 2021, 1:13 pm

Fnord wrote:
Itendswithmexx wrote:
Itendswithmexx wrote:
Itendswithmexx wrote:

What industry is that?

Last edited by Cornflake on 27 Oct 2021, 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.: Edited quote tags. Please either trim posts to what your response addresses or use properly formatted quotes.

Itendswithmexx
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Oct 2021, 1:16 pm

Nades wrote:
I think what shouldn't be overlooked is the ability for a complete moron to get a degree in a subject they're utterly obsessed with. Even someone with a low IQ can develop an impressive depth on knowledge on a subject they find fascinating.

Uhh if someone has been accepted into a uni degree then they have satisfied the requirements which means they aren’t a moron so what exactly are you trying to say lol?

Yeah but how is that useful to an employer? Or even relevant to what I’m saying? I just want to know everyone’s iq and I think everyone needs to be tested before primary,high school,uni,tafe and drivers license.

Last edited by Cornflake on 27 Oct 2021, 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.: Edited quote tags.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2021, 2:08 pm

Are you actually for real?

Itendswithmexx
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Oct 2021, 2:49 pm

What for real?is there something wrong with I said?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2021, 4:42 pm

babybird wrote:
She does not seem to know how to ue the quote function.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Itendswithmexx
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Oct 2021, 7:00 am

Fnord wrote:
babybird wrote:
She does not seem to know how to ue the quote function.

Lol

maycontainthunder
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 7:20 am

IQ is a bit meaningless. I have tried many online IQ tests and have often scored 0. By the same token I have recently done one and only answered one question and got it wrong...I skipped through the rest not having any clue of any of the answers..the site said that I had an IQ of 74....from one question that I got wrong.

To me this shows that the scoring system is flawed at least on the site I used.

Itendswithmexx
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Oct 2021, 2:16 am

maycontainthunder wrote:
IQ is a bit meaningless. I have tried many online IQ tests and have often scored 0. By the same token I have recently done one and only answered one question and got it wrong...I skipped through the rest not having any clue of any of the answers..the site said that I had an IQ of 74....from one question that I got wrong.

To me this shows that the scoring system is flawed at least on the site I used.

Uh yeah no an iq test conducted by a qualified neuroscientist or psychologist not a magazine quiz on dolly.

aspiemike
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2021, 11:32 am

You have to prove yourself an asset to the company you are applying for. If training is offered, you will have to demonstrate a willingness to learn and listen. I don't think anything can be more simple than that. As for most jobs around here, there is a standard 90 day probation period. It is easier for an employer to correct the wrong hiring decision in that 90 days to limit the money spent on that mistake as well.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2021, 11:52 am

Fnord wrote:
Itendswithmexx wrote:

Also, having a degree only matters if it's relevant. An employer looking for a computer programmer/analyst isn't going to care that you have a degree in biology, they're going to care if you have a degree in computer science. High IQ doesn't mean that you know things you've never tried to learn.