Why do some employers not reply back?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2022, 7:24 am

Why is it that some employers don’t ever reply back after a job interview to tell you if you have got the job or not?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2022, 7:59 am

Because, frequently, there's too many applicants for one job.

When I sought a second job 5 years ago, I submitted resumes/CV to more than 100 companies. I only got two interviews; the first did say they hired someone else; the second was the one where I got the job. It took me a month to get that job.

It's crazy-----this Internet-driven job searching.

I remember, in the 80s, when I could just take a typing test, and be sent out for a temp job the same day.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2022, 8:28 am

Because they do not have to.  Otherwise, a robocall would be all it would take to meet the letter of the law.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2022, 10:57 am

Jamesy wrote:
Why is it that some employers don’t ever reply back after a job interview to tell you if you have got the job or not?

I can answer that. In the area that I live in Wales, UK, they often have anything from 3000 to 15000 applicants per position if it is a well paid full time job due to the shortages of work, and due to this most employers do not have time to even look through all the applicants so will take the first few hundred and sift through them to find suitable people and then make interviews based on finding so many people from the ones they look at.

Do not be put off by this. It really is a matter of being in the right place at the right time for both you and the employer... Have patience.

Last edited by Mountain Goat on 13 May 2022, 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2022, 11:01 am

True story. I had been working in New York City for around fourteen years when I was offered the opportunity to interview for a general counsel position with the New York office of a large international bank. I went on the interview, thought it went ok, and never received any sort of a reply, not even a we are not interested. I thought that was odd and a bit rude, but I moved on to other things.

My interview was on the 82nd floor of the South Tower of the World Trade Center. On September 11, 2001, the second plane crashed directly into the 82nd floor, killing most (but somehow not all) of the bank's personnel at work that morning.

I have never in my life been so grateful to be passed over for a job.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2022, 11:07 am

Because it's too easy.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2022, 11:30 am

I usually hear "Why Do Some Employers Not Reply Back?" from people who apply for only one job at a time, and then pin all of their hopes on getting that one job.  This is both foolish and ineffective.  An unemployed person should apply for multiple jobs.

aspiemike
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2022, 5:03 pm

I have been told that you could always place one phone call to follow up after the interview. Some might say to let them call you if they said they would. However, if i call, I would leave this to only one call and leave a message in the event noone answers. Whether you get a response back or not is a different story.

Dial1194
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 May 2022, 10:44 am

Largely because they don't have to and there's very little social pressure on them to do so.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2022, 2:41 am

All my job applications were from decades ago, when most communication was by post. You always knew when your job application or interview had been unsuccessful before you opened the envelope, because it would invariably have a second class stamp on it. Then again, they nearly always did you the courtesy of replying to inform you.

GoldTails95
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Jul 2022, 1:39 pm

The experience I had from the couple of jobs is that I usually get a call from an employer saying that I'm hired and a message to go to an orientation.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2022, 4:02 pm

Sounds like “customer service.”

I had applied to hundreds of jobs in 2017, and only received two responses. One of them was the employer I have now.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2022, 4:33 pm

Employees are looking for applicants whom they think will be the best fit. If a crippled person with a funny walk applies to work at a fast food restaurant, chances are more likely than not that the employer will not reply back to the applicant.

nomad48
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Sep 2022, 12:28 am

Because those employers are not named...
Waffle House
Dollar General
McDonalds
Ross-Dress For Less

DaleReynolds
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Sep 2022, 9:39 am

In fact, everything is very simple, most of the employees believe that they are obliged to do their task and nothing more. I think in the same way, the truth is to ignore the boss or manager is too much.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2022, 2:25 pm

They don't have time to waste communicating with people they're not moving forward with hiring. Business is business and time is money. Sometimes employers get hundreds of applications for a single job. No one in business has time to waste contacting people they're not going to hire.

Also, no one likes giving bad news, so there's that, too.