Anoyone working in delivery jobs?

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

TheUndiagnosed
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Aug 2022, 2:09 pm

Anyone working as food delivery driver?
How is the job? Can you tell a bit about your experience?
Thanks

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2022, 10:28 pm

I did it off and on for a few years some time ago, I liked it at the time and the money was decent for what was required, but that was before delivery apps so I can't comment on what the job is like these days. I happened to like the schedule, which was more evenings than mornings, and I don't imagine that has changed in recent years. If you do it, be sure to set your cash tips aside for car maintenance and repairs, it's very easy to just spend that money because it feels like you just get more every night, but since your income is completely dependent on your vehicle it's very easy to get in trouble if you have a break down. A credit card is also not a bad idea if you qualify, you don't use it to carry debt, you just use it to spread your expenses around if they fall on inconvenient times money wise and pay it off monthly, which also helps build your credit.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 2:48 pm

With the cost of gas still being over $9 cdn/us gallon, I don't think delivering food via car is very worth while around here. A friend did it and claimed he grossed around $25/hr after fuel expenses.. (but that didn't count anything for car payment, insurance, maintenance etc) but that's still putting miles on his new car that depreciate it's value. He did it when home renovations dried up during early covid and no one wanted people working in their homes. Basically, it's only worth it if you don't have another option available to you that you could earn more money doing.

The way I think it might really be worth someone's time is if they live in a very densely populated downtown core area and they're able to make deliveries without having to have the expense of a car/insurance/gas etc - bicycle or electric bicycle/scooter. Those guys make the same amount of money without having to spend $1-2k/month on vehicle expenses. If you can manage to pickup and deliver enough orders like this it might be worth your time as a side hustle. Maybe - I've also read stories of people pedalling their asses off on bicycles and still not even earning minimum wage. Depends on where in the world you are and how much the gig pays and how much people tip - you'll have to do the math for yourself.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 3:08 pm

I've done this sort of work in the past....it's a pain in the butt.

DaleReynolds
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Sep 2022, 9:41 am

My brother worked in delivery for 10 years, after which he quit and stopped working. Now he has his own delivery company.

Worthless
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2022, 8:22 pm

I just did my first interview for a pizza delivery job and I was told to come back for the second interview and a ridealong with a driver later this week.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2022, 7:36 pm

I hope you get the job.

I hope they pay for the gas.

It's about $3.25 - $3.50 a gallon for gas in NYC right now.

I looked up Vancouver gas prices. It's about CAD $8 per US gallon on average, or about USD $6.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2022, 1:27 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I hope you get the job.

I looked up Vancouver gas prices. It's about CAD $8 per US gallon on average, or about USD $6.

Regular gas is 2.339 right now and going to be 2.399 by Thursday - the highest pump price ever recorded in North America. That’ll be $8.853 cdn / us gallon for regular 87.

And it might peak higher than that, even.

Tight supply on the West coast due to limited refining capacity and at least one refinery down for maintenance rn - but it seems like there’s always one down for maintenance. Also, Vancouver has a special blend of gasoline made for it - something about it burning cleaner I guess.. but it’s a boutique blend so
we pay through the nose for small batch custom production vs the same identical gas as everyone else.

Worthless
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2022, 2:31 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I hope you get the job.

Thank you. I don't know if they pay for gas, I would assume not, but I will find out friday. It varies here between $3.059 and $3.599 per gallon

Worthless
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 9:00 pm

I got the job. I will find out my schedule on Tuesday. They do pay for gas, and it verries based on what vehicle you drive.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2022, 3:22 pm

Worthless wrote:
I got the job. I will find out my schedule on Tuesday. They do pay for gas, and it verries based on what vehicle you drive.

Congrats!

Hope it goes well and people tip you generously. 8)

For myself and anyone else curious, if you’re okay with it, it’d be interesting to hear how you’re compensated for time/gas/tips etc.

I think some local pizza places pay drivers minimum wage and others pay per delivery - so if it’s super slow and not many deliveries they don’t make any money.

3rd party app deliveries I’m told average around $20-25/hr between delivery fees and tips, after fuel expenses. (But that doesn’t include other vehicle expenses.. so, really, it’s not that great of pay unless you drive a total piece of crap that extra mileage isn’t depreciating, yet it’s still reliable - so old corollas only lol) and ofc only if you can’t make more $ elsewhere doing something else.

Worthless
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2022, 9:17 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Worthless wrote:

Congrats!

Hope it goes well and people tip you generously. 8)

For myself and anyone else curious, if you’re okay with it, it’d be interesting to hear how you’re compensated for time/gas/tips etc.

I think some local pizza places pay drivers minimum wage and others pay per delivery - so if it’s super slow and not many deliveries they don’t make any money.

3rd party app deliveries I’m told average around $20-25/hr between delivery fees and tips, after fuel expenses. (But that doesn’t include other vehicle expenses.. so, really, it’s not that great of pay unless you drive a total piece of crap that extra mileage isn’t depreciating, yet it’s still reliable - so old corollas only lol) and ofc only if you can’t make more $ elsewhere doing something else.

Thank you. I hope so too. The people seem friendly, but they seem more hands on with each other than I would like them to be with me.

They said that it is something like $10.20 while in the store and $8.20 on the road. They also give a gas stipend that verries based on the vehicle. Cash tips I get to just pocket and don't have to tell anyone. Tips on a card go onto my paycheck or something.

Worthless
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2022, 11:12 pm

Just got home from my first day. I worked 7.5 hours and did 8 deliveries. I brought home nearly $55 cash (tips and gas money), 7 large pizzas, and a dozen wings. The only delivery who did not tip was some guy who payed with a card but chose no tip... He apparently is known for doing that and for being quite rude. Also, that whole delivery was rather sketch.

I definitely need to buy some different shoes for work.

There was also some methhead scouting our cars in the parking lot durring closing when it was only like 3 of us left. The last cook asked me if my truck was locked and let me know that some dude with a bag was walking around each of our cars and looking in them.

TheUndiagnosed

12 Oct 2022, 5:56 pm

I'm unemployed, don't know what do do

D0rf
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Oct 2022, 2:42 am

i did food delivery for a small family restaurant for 2 years, it is probably my favorite job ive ever had but its hell on your car and can end up costing you long term so i had to find something else.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2022, 6:32 pm

Sorry you’re unemployed, Undiagnosed.

Are you looking for a job?