Why do some employers not reply back?

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2022, 2:33 pm

If an employer called to tell you you didn't get the job and you ask why - then they open themselves up to possible legal issues.

Dial1194
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Oct 2022, 7:00 pm

DanielW wrote:
If an employer called to tell you you didn't get the job and you ask why - then they open themselves up to possible legal issues.

Many employers issue automatically generated emails, with a template, saying not much more than "Thank you for applying; we have decided not to go with you at this time." They don't tend to run into legal issues.

It's at least marginally better than simply never, ever hearing back (including never hearing that an application has been received in the first place). I've applied at places before where people I know worked there and recommended I do so for specific advertised positions. Then the weeks, and months, and years drag on, and it's damn embarrassing to them that the place they work for couldn't even care so much as to manage even a template email for applicants.

Dial1194
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Oct 2022, 7:03 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
No one in business has time to waste contacting people they're not going to hire.

But they're more than happy for dozens, if not hundreds of people to waste time and effort attempting to interact with them. Because hey, it's not their money they're wasting, it's other people's! That's perfectly fine and no-one will ever call them out for being dicks, right?