Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2022, 3:41 pm

Admittedly I cried afterwards which wasn't great. Mainly out of shock. I made some mistakes which delayed a project and my boss wasn't happy. Fortunately I didn't get fired but I am on thin ice. He asked if I actually want this job and that if I do, I need to start pulling more weight.

It's going to be awkward around my boss from now on. Yes, I made mistakes, but I think he was overly harsh. Frankly I have wanted to leave for a while now. I just hope I'm not fired before I can quit.

Time to start job hunting. Continuing to work there in the meantime isn't going to be easy.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2022, 6:21 pm

I'm sorry you had this encounter with your boss. Sounds like he's an Elon Musk type.

If I were you, I would seek to stick it out as long as possible. And to interview for other jobs, and get that job before you resign from your present job.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 6:39 pm

Unfortunately, I agree. As much as I'd like to stick it to him, I do want to find other employment first. I put in my first application today. Personally I suspect it'll be quiet around this time and pick up in January. It's been difficult being back in work. He called me a waste of money the other day which wasn't exactly the best. That whole conversation has been repeating in the back of my mind. I just have to keep getting through my work day and focus on finding a new job. The thought of escaping this place is what keeps me going. It's oddly motivating.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2022, 7:04 pm

It's always best to have a job---while searching for another job.

This means you don't to provide an explanation as to why you were fired.

jalila
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Dec 2022, 3:45 pm

It sounds like you are in a difficult situation at work, and it is understandable that you are feeling upset and stressed after your boss yelled at you. While it is not uncommon for bosses to express frustration or disappointment when an employee makes a mistake, it is important for them to do so in a professional and respectful manner. If you feel that your boss was overly harsh or unfair in their response to your mistakes, it may be helpful to discuss the situation with them and try to find a resolution.

If you have decided that you want to leave your job, it is important to start looking for new employment opportunities as soon as possible. This will give you the opportunity to explore your options and find a job that is a better fit for you. In the meantime, it is important to continue to do your best at work and to try to avoid making any additional mistakes. This will help to ensure that you are able to leave on good terms and with a positive reference from your current employer.

If you are struggling to cope with the stress and anxiety of your job situation, it may be helpful to seek support from friends, family, or a mental health professional. They can provide you with the emotional support and guidance you need to navigate this difficult time

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2022, 4:16 am

I have already started applying elsewhere. The way I was spoken to was far beyond the realms of professional or respectful.

My boss is rarely around, so I doubt he will even notice any improvement. If he does, I bet his response will be "Finally. You did the bare minimum". :roll: I doubt he is the type to be reasoned with, and frankly he makes my skin crawl. However, my supervisor may be willing to provide a reference. If not, then I hope my portfolio and experience will be enough.

Option three is going into business by myself or joining my friend's indie game development setup. That's a risky one though and would depend heavily on sales.

Lately, I have been reaching out to friends, to discuss my stress and how I have been feeling down. It has been suggested that I find something outside of work to take my mind off things a little, so I can wind down at the weekends, rather than live in a state of dreading the upcoming working week.

I have been thinking of joining a local writing group. Plus I also want to work on my illustration skills. I also need to go outside more for the sake of my mental health.

Maybe I should go into illustration. Sorry I'm just throwing all my ideas out here at once. :oops:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2022, 7:00 am

Indeed, it’s much better to do stuff for your pleasure than stewing over what happened at work.

Joining a writing group would be great! Perhaps a writer needs an illustrator?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2022, 7:45 pm

I understand you crying. I cry too whenever I'm yelled at by someone in authority, especially if it's over petty rules. I follow rules enough to respect others and not be a criminal but I'm not one for petty rules that are just made up for the sake of showing authority. I just forget to follow them, or if I see other people breaking the little rules then I tend to follow suit, then I feel mad and tearful when I'm called out on it. It's usually me who's called out on it.

stratozyck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Dec 2022, 6:28 pm

I'm going to give you a different angle here.

You can either 1) try harder or 2) plan to leave. Thats it. If the manager is halfway decent, it can be ok. If the manager is not...

I took a job once that started out really poorly. The manager had a really toxic style. It took me some time to adjust to it. I can say in hindsight he was an awful person and manager.

But a funny thing happens when you have an awful manager - often they find other targets to dump on.

Thats what I did, I changed how I approached him and basically became "neutral." I never gave him a reason to talk to me more than he had to. I never talked to him more than I had to.

Sure enough, 10 months in another new hire came in and upset him even more and for the next year, that guy was the target of his anger.

Once I learned how to handle it, the job was a breeze. He was an ego maniac and the #1 rule was never to question him. Stupid - yes. But once I figured that out - guess what? As long as you don't question him he doesn't bother you.

In the first 6 months at that job, I wanted to quit and was miserable. Once I "let go" and did what I mentioned, it got better. I ended up staying until the company failed 4 years later. Yeah, the company as a whole had a toxic management culture that came from the top.

The best part was I got to see my boss laid off when we got sold off to a competitor.

Don't get me wrong - I also got laid off but I know jobs at my level are a lot easier to find than manager jobs. He will never be a manager again and no other place would have put up with his BS.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2023, 2:39 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:
Unfortunately, I agree. As much as I'd like to stick it to him, I do want to find other employment first. I put in my first application today. Personally I suspect it'll be quiet around this time and pick up in January. It's been difficult being back in work. He called me a waste of money the other day which wasn't exactly the best. That whole conversation has been repeating in the back of my mind. I just have to keep getting through my work day and focus on finding a new job. The thought of escaping this place is what keeps me going. It's oddly motivating.

Nasty, and I want to let you know that it's not you, but that sounds like a problem that's on him as he's probably a toxic employer.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2023, 4:47 pm

Indie game developing a really risky cos if you look on steam there's thousands of 'em.
Hope you find another job.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2023, 2:53 pm

The strangest part has been my boss being nice to me nowadays. It just feels bizarre. He yelled at one of his employees in front of everyone recently and then went back to being friendly days later. It's a pretty horrible workplace.

I want out so badly.