Anoyone working in delivery jobs?

Page 3 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Worthless
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2022, 1:09 am

I was told a couple days ago that I could become a shift lead if I wanted to. When I expressed surprise and asked something along the lines of, 'Aren't I too new for that?'. I was asured that, no I had been there long enough and am a good employee. I was also told though that it isn't worth it and that I would end up making less per hour than being a driver because it is the same pay in the restaurant, but without making tips from deliveries (except when filling the roll of a driver). It is also a lot more responsibility and then when I'm working as a manager, I wouldn't be spending an average of half my time in my vehicle and would just be at the restaurant for almost a full shift.

I think I will stick to being a driver for now.

On a different note, when I was on a delivery to a tightly packed suburban neighborhood on Friday night, I had just stepped out of my truck when I heard shots fired close by, maybe a block or two away. The customer who had already stepped outside to meet me, also stopped and looked in that direction and confirmed that it sounded like gunshots, not fireworks.

I also tonight had my first two person delivery for safety. I was warned about the address and the customer due to past issues with other drivers and I was given extra money to cary because the customer had claimed he only had a hundred dollar bill and would need change. I was going to just take the delivery, but one of the managers said that it wasn't safe and I would probably get robbed or something and that he would drive me there for safety reasons. He kept his vehicle running and parked so he could watch the door and rolled down the passenger window so he could hear what was said. He also of course had his revolver on him. Thankfully all that was unnecessary and there were no issues.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2022, 11:04 am

Ummmmm, if a customer is so volatile and likely to be violent or rob a driver that a manager has to drive, keep the car running, and pack a REVOLVER with him, why wouldn't the pizza shop just blacklist the guy and not take his order???

I dunno about where you live, but here, it's stressed to every new employee everywhere that we have a Right to refuse unsafe work. Usually this pertains to things like bosses asking people do to sketchy things like stand on top of fully extended ladders and overreach to try to do some task - basic no-no's in the construction field, but still applies to restaurant employees. If they can't provide the right type of ladder or safety equipment and training etc to do a task safely, workers have a right to refuse it and just flat out say "No, I won't do that. There's a high risk of injury or death, so, no, I'm not doing it under these conditions. Get the right tools and safety gear or contract it to an outside company that is capable of doing it safely." sort of thing.

100% if a customer called in that was known to be a safety risk to delivery drivers the driver (here) could simply decline to do the delivery. IMO the manager should decline their order - not worth the driver and/or manager's life for a friggin' pizza sale. That guy can order from somewhere else and treat them better, or go to a store and buy frozen pizzas or ingredients and make his own.

It's pretty nuts that you guys are delivering to people you legit fear are going to rob or kill you.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2022, 2:27 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Ummmmm, if a customer is so volatile and likely to be violent or rob a driver that a manager has to drive, keep the car running, and pack a REVOLVER with him, why wouldn't the pizza shop just blacklist the guy and not take his order???

I dunno about where you live, but here, it's stressed to every new employee everywhere that we have a Right to refuse unsafe work. Usually this pertains to things like bosses asking people do to sketchy things like stand on top of fully extended ladders and overreach to try to do some task - basic no-no's in the construction field, but still applies to restaurant employees. If they can't provide the right type of ladder or safety equipment and training etc to do a task safely, workers have a right to refuse it and just flat out say "No, I won't do that. There's a high risk of injury or death, so, no, I'm not doing it under these conditions. Get the right tools and safety gear or contract it to an outside company that is capable of doing it safely." sort of thing.

100% if a customer called in that was known to be a safety risk to delivery drivers the driver (here) could simply decline to do the delivery. IMO the manager should decline their order - not worth the driver and/or manager's life for a friggin' pizza sale. That guy can order from somewhere else and treat them better, or go to a store and buy frozen pizzas or ingredients and make his own.

It's pretty nuts that you guys are delivering to people you legit fear are going to rob or kill you.

the amuuurican working class choice seems to work at the dangerous jobs, or starve.

TheUndiagnosed
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Nov 2022, 11:20 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Sorry you’re unemployed, Undiagnosed.

Are you looking for a job?

yes, I'm a software engineer but I cannot find any job (as strange as it may sounds)

seaweasel
Toucan
Toucan

09 Dec 2022, 5:26 pm

I work for the USPS as a CCA, i started earlier in the year and i thought i wasnt going to make it, but it turns out i love the job, mostly because there is no interaction its just me and the mail. I did use to work for Amazon but USPS is a lot better