Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

superior_1234
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Mar 2014, 8:23 pm

Hello Everyone,

I am relatively new to this forum and actually tried to post this question a while back, but for some reason, it didn't go through the first time.

First of all, I have Asperger's, but an extremely mild case of it; if I didn't tell you that I had it, you wouldn't know.
For a career, I have wanted nothing more than to have a career in transportation, specifically passenger transportation. I want to start off my career in this field driving school buses to gain some experience operating a bus. Driving a school bus, obviously, requires a CDL (Commercial Driver's License) and a School Bus endorsement. I was doing some research on all of the requirements for a CDL, and one is a physical examination. I read that during the physical exam, they check for mental, nervous, psychiatric, and emotional disorders that are likely to interfere with the person's ability to drive the vehicle. I really don't think that Asperger's would qualify under this, as I think that it is more of a social learning difference, but I don't know for sure. My Asperger's would not, in any way, interfere with my ability to safely operate any vehicle. So, the question is, would Asperger's disqualify someone from getting a CDL/ school bus license if you mention it during the physical exam? Also, are there any fellow Aspies on here who are school bus drivers, or for that matter, have CDL's?

Thanks for any input anyone can provide.

WAautisticguy
Toucan
Toucan

26 Mar 2014, 8:53 pm

I don't think so. If you can just pass the CDL, drug tests and background checks, you will be setting sail. Many autistic people like school buses (I do too) and they would love to be drivers.
I wonder if you would be better fit as a special ed driver? General ed buses (the large ones) might be a migraine for you. Making sure the kids in the back of the bus aren't getting into trouble gets old after a while probably. You might build some "driver to student" relationships with the special ed kids. I was on a special ed bus route for many years because of my high functioning autism. I am now on the regular buses but always sit in row 1 or 2. NEVER in the back for me!

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2014, 10:45 pm

I don't think aspergers alone would disqualify you from a CDL.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2014, 7:48 am

One doesn't have to reveal one's diagnosis. If you pass the CDL, you're fine.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2014, 2:25 pm

If I was a School Bus Driver I'd bring a blowgun with Tranq Darts to work.

towngirl
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Jan 2023, 8:03 am

I have been a school bus driver for 2 decades now. I love my job. I have done regular routes, special needs, substituting for drivers, as well as special trips. When I got my CDL I never put that I have Asperger’s on my application, nor do I reveal it to doctors at my yearly DOT Physical. I never have revealed my diagnosis to an employer either. I am not on medication, I just struggle with communication. I have a terrific ability to remember each students names and other drivers names. I remember street names and directions, and I’m punctual (following the same routine for a run each time I do it). There’s no question that I have made mistakes, but I always am careful to learn from it. I’ve never gotten a ticket or been in an accident. My brain just works differently than others, but I’m not ignorant or a harm to myself or others. I say “go for it” because being a school bus driver has made me a better person!