Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

mharrington85
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jan 2023, 10:13 pm

I work for the state, at the Department of Health Care Services. I've been with them for about two years, though not always for the same employer. In November 2021, I moved to another position within the department, but I retained at least one old habit from my first employer.

One of my main tasks is to upload information into a system by NPI (or National Provider Identifier). It will often populate with that NPI, but I was advised to go with the first name that popped up, if it matched the company. That's what I did with my second employer. Unfortunately, it didn't always match the exact service (or mailing) address. No one called me out on it, but I caught it myself. Now I'm worried I will be fired as state employee for a simple mistake. I had learned my lesson and want to move forward, but I feel like I'm going to be fired because I feel compelled to go back through several months and correct all of them, and it's going to be a waste of time. Moreover, I fear that I will become a liability because of that.

There's a lot of ambiguity surrounding my predicament, and I went to a lot of trouble to land a job like this. Will I be fired for something like this?

mharrington85
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jan 2023, 10:19 pm

To further emphasize, I was told by my superiors that having to produce a JIRA ticket was expensive and that these mistakes cannot happen again. I was told this in no uncertain terms.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2023, 10:51 am

I was a city employee.

The best advice is to seek to avoid making the same mistakes.

You’re not “fired” yet.

I don't think you've even had a "written warning."

What is your civil service status? Are you in a union?

If you’re a full-fledged civil servant, it’s very hard to fire you.

mharrington85
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Feb 2023, 12:49 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I was a city employee.

The best advice is to seek to avoid making the same mistakes.

You’re not “fired” yet.

I don't think you've even had a "written warning."

What is your civil service status? Are you in a union?

If you’re a full-fledged civil servant, it’s very hard to fire you.

I'm with the Department of Health Care Services. I'm an office assistant. I'm affiliated with the SEIU (or Service Employees International Union).

I've tried to correct the issues as best I could, but it requires sending out JIRA tickets, which my boss tells me is very expensive to do. He made it clear in no uncertain terms that these mistakes cannot be repeated. He was very frank and direct with me, which scared me and made me shake and perspire.

I'm trying to move on from this mistake, but there is still one other letter that is kind of in a gray area, so to speak. The letter has been uploaded, but it appears to be in the wrong account. The address on the letter does appear deep inside the account that it was intended for, but there is a second account with the person and NPI where that same account not only appears on the first page as the service address, but is used in all of the other addresses in the account, too, including the mailing address and the pay-to address. The account where I put the letter only has the correct address in the pay-to section.

I really feel compelled to correct it, but I don't want to create any more expensive headaches. I'm worried that if I send out any more corrections, that will be the end of my job.

I've once brought it up with my coworkers, but they told me that as long as the address on the letter is in the account somewhere, it should be fine. Except, I know there is a proper place for it. And besides, the account has the wrong license number than in the letter, too.

I want to move on, but my perfectionist nature won't let me. I know one thing, though: I'm determined not to let it happen again.

And yes, as I've said, I'm with a union (which apparently happened automatically when I started working with the state), although I don't really pay much attention to it.

mharrington85
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Feb 2023, 3:46 pm

My concern about having to correct another costly mistake is enough to make me cry.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2023, 12:31 pm

My wife was a member of Local 1199. She was a nurse.

I wish I knew your specific job better, so I could advise you better.

I would ask your boss for clarification before you send out the letters. Tell him what you wrote here. You want the right person to get it. Just say you want to “dot your i’s and cross your t’s.”

Are you a civil servant who passed a test, or are you a provisional employee. It’s important that you know your status.

Are you in the state pension plan, Tier 4, 5, or 6? I assume you are in NY.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2023, 1:47 pm

Sorry I didn’t reply to you earlier.