Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2023, 2:15 am

I applied for another job while still working in my current job...but I am sick of it idk the animals at my work are cute but I don't want to shovel poop as a long term job. But so I saw a job add at a place me and my boyfriend like to go...its like a nerd store with a bunch of minatures, cards table top game stuff and some board games. They also have a little coffee shop and were looking for someone who couuld help with that, and idk I have no idea about coffee shops but they will train so prsumably I get to see someonee else do it and learn from them before they have me do it on my own.

But nah I am freaking out, like I want to make a goodd impression so I get hired, but also I need to keep that up after, but they need not know how anxious I am about the job intervview I can keep that to myself. But still worried about it, never have done that job before so idk if I can even do it... just seemed like a good oppurtunity so want to give it a try if they'll hire me and give me a chance. Then again I felt kind of like this on the last job I got, but was able to get through it and get the job so I can probably do it this time as well.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2023, 12:17 pm

No worries, I always feel like that before a job interview, and sometimes after sending an application, too. I tend to be more nervous the more I want the job. I think it's just our fears of the unknown speaking. While everyone's not nervous about things like this, it's still very common. Just do your best!

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2023, 5:30 pm

Keep in mind that some stereotypes carry more truth than others do. I doubt very much that you'd be the first candidate to work someplace like that who wasn't all, OMG, OMG, I love the miniatures and collectibles.

I've been working retail the last few years and it can be soul sucking. So, having any sort of genuine enthusiasm for the products you're dealing with, especially if you like them enough to keep up with it as a hobby may help to overshadow the nervousness.

DoniiMann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Apr 2023, 4:45 pm

You say that it's a place that you and your boyfriend like to go. Maybe try and go a couple more times before the interview, but this time with the intent of checking the place out as a prospective employee. Check out the lay out. Watch what the employees do. Are they happy? Are they stressed? Do some employees stay at one station, but not others?
I've always found that familiarity helps dispel fear. Maybe not all of it, but some.