Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

LAEMapsie
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Jun 2009, 11:52 am

Since the recession has made jobseeking hard, I have started to participate in psychology related surveys at UCL (University College London). The pay is OK starts from £3 for a 20 minute survey to £20+ for more complicated surveys (which last 2 hours plus).

I was wondering if I could put this on my CV(resume) since I have had NO employment experience, expect for work experience in Year 10.

WillWasHere
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jun 2009, 11:57 am

I would say no, putting that you were a lab monkey on your resume will sound desperate. The best way to get a job is to tell everyone you meet (that you think is a good contact) that you're looking for a job. Make a mental note to do it and network, network, network.

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2009, 12:20 pm

If you don't have any other work experience to show, then I think you should put it on your CV. Don't list them all individually though. Indicate that you have participated in sessions of varying length and depth between certain dates, or starting from whenever.

Think about what you have gained from these experiences which can be used in another job - in other words, what are the transferable skills you have gained.

Depending on what type of jobs you are applying for, and assuming you did gain these from your experiences at UCL, you could mention such things as reliability, objectivity, ability to follow complex instructions, team-working and so on. Whatever you put on your CV, make sure that you can demonstrate and provide examples of in an interview situation.

When I applied for my first full-time job after University, I detailed various Saturday and holiday jobs I had had while a student. My first boss said that this impressed him favourably, as it demonstrated that I was able to commit to something and follow it through. Although the jobs themselves weren't relevant to my new career path, the fact that I had them was a positive factor which worked in my favour.

LAEMapsie
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Jun 2009, 12:37 pm

I guess I could put this in experience rather than past employment. Though Im aiming for an I.T career so Im not sure about how Psychology would be directly linked to I.T

kostopsykologi
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Mar 2011, 10:58 am

I would definitely say 'No'.

That isn't really work. You get paid a token amount for your time, but it isn't really a job.