Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2010, 7:55 pm

I'm planning to get an online job hopefully the company has been in contact with me several times so IMO it's looking good. It'll help with my goals of paying off debt and going back to College. :-) So I was curious are there any other Aspies or anyone you know that works from home and how do they like it?

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2010, 8:03 pm

Yeah...I work from home..I help run an online business...

digitalb0y
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Jan 2010, 8:29 pm

I have a desk at work but %90 of the time I work remotely from home. It cuts out on all the distractions of other people and the mindless smalltalk that happens in the office. So I like it but I try to stop in every once in a while! Although I'm single and live alone with no pets so I have no distractions at home but I know other people do.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2010, 8:48 pm

May I ask what you guys are doing at home, to those that are going to post and to those that have already? How do you obtain a job at home, I´m sure lots of people would rather work at home so there can´t be many jobs like this.

demeus
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2010, 9:02 pm

I work from home and like it very much, especially when the windchills are -30F.

I work for a marketing research company. My job is to program and logic test online surveys as well as make sure the company complies with the CAN-SPAM act.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2010, 5:56 pm

I plan to take a look here in a few months:

http://clarkhoward.com/topics/workathome_help.html

luvsterriers
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 1:54 pm

poopylungstuffing wrote:
Yeah...I work from home..I help run an online business...

Can I work with your business??

I'm trying to find a job where I can work at home.

I would love to work from home. Less dealing with co workers who are rude and annoying. :roll:

If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with somebody else. (Don Omar)

saintetienne
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jan 2010, 2:06 pm

i work from home! i could do with someone with a whip to beat me when i'm lazy

lotuspuppy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 10:02 pm

I work from home for my job, though I have no objection going to the office.

Oisin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Jan 2010, 9:50 am

I work from home where I have the right envvironment and can choose my own times when I work. You don't have to travel and save also money on office costs. I run an online counselling service for people with a low budget.
http://www.cumco.webs.com/

asplint
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Jan 2010, 6:26 pm

I have my own business helping fellow Aspies, and I work from home.

(I started it up after confirming that it's permitted by my homeowners' association and local law.)

Anna, I've been there, done that and gotten the T-shirt. Rude and annoying co-workers - let alone bosses - are the pits. If you can work from home and escape (much of) these problems, it may really help.

If you work for a company and want to telecommute, you may have to prove yourself first, so your employer knows you'll still work and not run errands and catch up on Oprah (or WrongPlanet!). Even when you do gain their trust, you may still be required to come in a day or even a couple of days each week. That's partly a blessing, because your co-workers - and superiors - may feel like "out of sight, out of mind" when dealing with you.

(And of course, you won't get snow days off anymore.)

On the other hand, if you'd like to strike out on your own you might like to check out LiveOps. They may take you on as an independent contractor to handle various kinds of calls from home. NB: Independent contractor means you handle all your own tax paperwork, may pay extra taxes and might have to pay estimated taxes throughout the year or get penalized for waiting until tax return time to pay your taxes.

Also note that LiveOps has significant requirements, such as particular computer capabilities (for example, dialups need not apply), software and a landline with no extra features or all features disabled, plus a second number where they can reach you. And if you have any felony convictions or other serious problems in your criminal or credit history, forget it.

(I haven't worked for LiveOps myself; I just thought you might like to check it out. If you do, please let us know how it worked out for you!)

Cheers,

http://www.asplint.com

coralbell
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Feb 2010, 11:04 pm

I work from home doing basic bookkeeping and data entry for a non-profit agency. I also work in another office two days a week. In that office, they let me do things like adjust my own heat and lighting. I find that data entry is a good way to work from home, and non-profits sometimes have very small offices, so they don't have space for addtional staff anyway.

TheLogicStick
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Feb 2010, 1:54 pm

I have my own business and work mostly from home, with occasional visits to select clients.

I help people make use of technology, which is a broad, broad umbrella for everything from repairing machines to coding websites. It puts me at an aspie's advantage because I can bring cool logic (on a "thing" subject matter) to emotional NTs anthropomorphizing their computers/technologies. I set up how I advertise (through support of performing arts organizations, for example) so that I can select clients who are well-rounded and more likely to be accepting of my oddities.

I have a BS in Applied Math, which is only peripherally related to what I do now. I'm mostly self-taught (through volunteering for organizations - orgs tend to be verrrrrrry forgiving of oddities if you get the work done - and through buying/fixing/selling computers).

There are a lot of opportunities out there for self-employment, sometimes it just takes some time to match what you're good at to what will pay money.

lotuspuppy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 2:59 pm

I write for a specialty publication once a week. I can go into the office, but I often work from home. I wake up, turn my laptop on, and work from bed. It's nice.

FreeSpirit2000
Toucan
Toucan

30 Mar 2010, 8:46 pm

A good work at home job can be network marketing/online marketing.

spacecadetdave
Raven
Raven

31 Mar 2010, 2:54 am

I have been working from home for the last 6 months or so. My position is supposed to be office based but my office is about 54 miles away, and as I had a huge meltdown last year I have had difficulty a) driving, and b) facing an office environment. My employer is keen to get me back into the office so I'm not sure how long this situation will go on for.....

But.....

It does take a lot of discipline to work from home. I find that I do a lot of work between 8:30am and lunchtime as I have no interruptions other than the ones I create myself. i.e. I can finish my current train of thought and then put the kettle on, r have a look at the news headlines (I have CNN running for company!). The afternoon I save for looking at older issues and admin work, the morning is for number crunching and coding.

It works for me, but it's not as easy to be productive as you;d think. You have to identify when your peak levels of mental activity are occuring and plan your day around it. In fact, make damn sure you do plan your day or things will not go well.

The best thing is that if you over sleep slightly and wake five minutes before you're due to start work then that's fine... you just start work dressed in your short and dressing gown.