Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Marikunin
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Jan 2010, 1:00 pm

This happens to me a lot (I work part-time at a Rite Aid). However, when it gets to be too much for me, I just go to the bathroom and lock the door for a minute. It's quiet in there and the lights are dimmer than the ones in the main store. Anyone else have sensory overload at work?

jamesongerbil
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2010, 1:27 pm

yep. i work at a pizzeria. it's sensory city. loud, many people, crashing dishes... at least it smells FANTASTIC! :D

when i become overloaded, i sometimes go into the basement to make boxes. luckily, i only work there a few days a week.

blastoff
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Jan 2010, 6:59 pm

I absolutely have sensory overload at work. In my case, it doesn't take much.

kc8ufv
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2010, 7:50 pm

When I'm in court, I don't get sensory overload too often. Usually the judge doesn't tolerate people doing the things that cause overload. Though, sometimes the time delay on the recording system can be quite frustrating. And when I'm down in the office, sometimes things can be a bit out of hand. I always keep headphones available to use if needed, though. (my cell phone doubles as an MP3 player)

the_pressure
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Jan 2010, 3:41 am

I work as a swing manager at a local McDonald's.
Bright lights and loud noises. And EVERYTHING beeps. High pitched long beeps. Adding on top of that a frantic pace and having to deal with so many people at once it ground zero for me.
I cry a lot at work.
But I am happy to say that I've master the act of doing most of my job while crying like a baby.
My boss does not understand.

FreeSpirit2000
Toucan
Toucan

22 Jan 2010, 11:31 am

the_pressure wrote:
I work as a swing manager at a local McDonald's.
Bright lights and loud noises. And EVERYTHING beeps. High pitched long beeps. Adding on top of that a frantic pace and having to deal with so many people at once it ground zero for me.
I cry a lot at work.
But I am happy to say that I've master the act of doing most of my job while crying like a baby.
My boss does not understand.

"But I am happy to say that I've master the act of doing most of my job while crying like a baby. "
What you just said sounds very ironic, seriously.

Feline_Kingdom
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Jan 2010, 11:14 pm

Yes, quite often.

I am a software engineer and, although I enjoy the work itself, I have a very difficult time with the constant chatter of co-workers, laughing and their ongoing inappropriate actions in a professional environment.

At times I have to go sit in the bathroom quietly, in a stall, or go out and smoke a cigarette.

I cannot handle it sometimes and the wiring of my brain feels overloaded, literally. No one there has any idea what is going on behind these eyes. It all seems so fake. Honestly, I generally abhor social interaction.

iamtre
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jan 2010, 10:24 am

Yes im am suffering terrible stress and overload at work. I just can't take it anymore and am seeking a new line of employment.
G-d help me i teach high school math.

dtoxic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jan 2010, 12:46 am

I can't work anymore due to a convergence of factors, but this is the biggest one. Bright artificial lights, loud noises, and certain horrific smells (Febreze, vile contraptions in bathrooms that periodically spit crap into the air, polyurethane, etc) drive me away from the workplace. I also have too busy a mind which runs its own routes and tangents (often denigrated by NTs as "daydreaming") and can't be bothered to focus on menial fryolator and mop-bucket issues.

druidsbird
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2010, 12:56 am

Yes, every day. I work in a very busy Whole Foods. The loud music and flourescent lights, combined with work stress and having to interact with so many people in a day. It's very difficult, and I take many breaks and the bulk of my anxiety meds at work.

I usually go sit on the steps in the alley at the side of the building where it's quiet. I stand against the wall and bounce off it for a while. Or go sit in the nearby burger king, which being next to a whole foods is always dead, quiet, and relaxing.

I risk getting in trouble with the number of breaks I take in a shift. And even that sometimes doesn't keep me from complete meltdown.

I'd much rather do something working from home. Or to be a librarian, that has always been my humble dream. Quiet, and surrounded by books, all day, and getting paid for it... Heaven.

Oisin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Jan 2010, 9:58 am

It's amazing how many Aspies are in a high stressful job. I coudn't work in a busy pizzaria. I work only 3 days for a boss and the other days I work at home for myself. If it gets too noisy at work I leave the area and go sit on my own. I get confused when there is too much going on. I am well able to do stuff but not all at once.

druidsbird
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2010, 6:31 pm

If I didn't have to work, that would be a good thing for me. However, I have no choice.

While it is highly stressful at my store, I'm capable of the work and, I actually LOVE the work I do. Building displays of fresh fruits and vegetables allows me to play around a lot with color and shape patterns, and my beloved symmetry. There's definitely artistry and skill in it. That and my habit of counting everything helps to keep my mind busy, which mitigates a very small amount of the stress. It just happens to occur in an environment which is not at all good for me.

That being said, I'd still rather have a boring unpleasant uncreative job that I hate, but in a safe environment. I wonder how many people would also choose that alternative?

FreeSpirit2000
Toucan
Toucan

27 Jan 2010, 9:37 pm

If you are not good at getting along with others, try to look for jobs you can do that are involving less socialization and less noise. Usually, these office/cubicle related types of jobs are very good in my opinion, because you can just concentrate in your little corner where you can do your tasks and concentrate on what you need to accomplish. Just make sure you get an bachelors, masters or a vocational/trade degree if you want to do a career which you will enjoy in life and learn how to pass your classes. This is all I can say right now as we can speak.

Treehugger
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Jun 2010, 12:18 am

iamtre wrote:
Yes im am suffering terrible stress and overload at work. I just can't take it anymore and am seeking a new line of employment.
G-d help me i teach high school math.
Maby go into Collage and Teach There? I've been In Collage for one week now, and the class size is Only Five students. The rules of student behavior are that No Loud Desruptive Behavior, or Actions are Allowed. There was Only one Guy who was obnoxios, and He was quickly relocated out of the lab! The atmosphere in Collage is much as a Library would be,at least in the afternoons,Quiet. :sunny:

Shivan
Raven
Raven

19 Jun 2010, 10:01 am

kc8ufv wrote:
When I'm in court, I don't get sensory overload too often. Usually the judge doesn't tolerate people doing the things that cause overload. Though, sometimes the time delay on the recording system can be quite frustrating. And when I'm down in the office, sometimes things can be a bit out of hand. I always keep headphones available to use if needed, though. (my cell phone doubles as an MP3 player)

Hi kc8ufv, I also work for a court. Fortunately, I'm never in court as I'm in the fiscal dept doing accounts payables and timesheets. I have my iPod on all the time. What do you do?

kc8ufv
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2010, 11:29 am

Shivan wrote:
kc8ufv wrote:

Hi kc8ufv, I also work for a court. Fortunately, I'm never in court as I'm in the fiscal dept doing accounts payables and timesheets. I have my iPod on all the time. What do you do?

I'm a court clerk, in a Probate and Family Division court.