Page 3 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2010, 12:11 am

Avarice wrote:
It's probably because most people are diagnosed as children and those of us who have jobs aren't as likely to be diagnosed. Not to mention that AS children are probably brought up thinking that they can't ever get a job.

There would be more than than small amount with jobs, just not all would have a diagnosis.

You have a valid point there, I think. In the past people had a sink or swim mentality, and nobody made excuses for aspies (who knew they even had it?).

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2010, 11:26 am

Avarice wrote:
It's probably because most people are diagnosed as children and those of us who have jobs aren't as likely to be diagnosed. Not to mention that AS children are probably brought up thinking that they can't ever get a job.

There would be more than than small amount with jobs, just not all would have a diagnosis.

It's not so much that they're being brought up thinking that, but its that the system tells them that and assumes it to be true. My mum told me all about how she had to fight the idiots at the government to get me into a school and such. They thought I wouldn't be able to get through a normal school.

But I am very lucky to have a mum who defends me like that. Most people wouldn't fight their point like she did.

skribble
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Mar 2010, 1:41 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
According to the National Autistic Society site, only 12% of people with AS and HFA are in full-time employment. When I read that, I was honestly shocked. I mean, if you were including LFA in that I might understand, but even it's low... But for only 12% of Aspies and HFAies to be in full-time employment is really shocking.

But, why? Why is this? Is it because we don't have the social skills to deal with offices?Are we just really bad at interviews? Do we really have that much trouble being independant?

Wow. I really like this question that you have put up, together with the ensuing points. Thanks for doing so, they're very useful considerations.

Cheers,
.Skribble

alana
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2010, 3:39 pm

I didn't know it was that bad. My job is only part-time hours right now. There have been times when I have been higher functioning. I suspect it's like someone said, most people are not diagnosed, certainly few people in my age group are. I am beginning to think that if I work in a situation with coworkers then I can't have a relationship. Because it is so draining I'm doubtful that I can handle both.

petitesouris
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Mar 2010, 3:42 pm

Quote:
It's not so much that they're being brought up thinking that, but its that the system tells them that and assumes it to be true. My mum told me all about how she had to fight the idiots at the government to get me into a school and such. They thought I wouldn't be able to get through a normal school.

:roll:

same here. where i went to elementary school, they began tracking kids in the 1st grade, which means that the classes taken in first grade deteremine those you take in high school and your entire future. all the kids were given tests to be placed in whatever class they went to, but the hideous people who taught in my grade arbitrarily placed me in remedial classes without giving the usual test. if my mom had not fought them tooth and nail, i would have stayed in those classes, and my future would have been screwed and i most likely would never have made it to college.

Quote:
But I am very lucky to have a mum who defends me like that. Most people wouldn't fight their point like she did.

luckily my parents are not easily manipulated by authority which is good because i was only six years old then and thus would not have been able to stick up for myself.

these imbeciles (employers and educaters) seem to think that just because we do not communicate well and because we do not know how authorities expect us to behave, that means that we cannot do anything.

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2010, 4:09 pm

Point to make about that 12% statistic from the NAS

The study is based on data from their own organisation so 12% of their MEMEBERSHIP with aspergers diagnosis are in employment.

They have no verifyiable way of determining if their sample group is representative of the wider UK ASD population so take from the study what you will.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 10:51 am

Laz wrote:
Point to make about that 12% statistic from the NAS

The study is based on data from their own organisation so 12% of their MEMEBERSHIP with aspergers diagnosis are in employment.

They have no verifyiable way of determining if their sample group is representative of the wider UK ASD population so take from the study what you will.

That's good to know, thanks for that info! :D

FreeSpirit2000
Toucan
Toucan

07 Mar 2010, 7:26 pm

These statistics are totally invalid in my opinion and they just surveyed a small group I am sure, so people should not believe this stat at all. Most very high functioning AS people can succeed and move on with their lives, this is all I can say in my opinion.

blastoff
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Mar 2010, 9:51 am

Brittany2907 wrote:
As my mum says, they put us in the "too hard basket", meaning that they categorize as one of the people who's just too hard to deal with.

I've never met another person with AS, so I'm not going to be able to generalize, but i think this is a good point. I know that *I'm* hard to deal with, and I'm very grateful to have a boss who is willing to work with me and try to help me do my job in the best way possible. It wouldn't surprise me, though, if there were some moments when he'd rather I just went away....

DavidM
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Mar 2010, 3:35 pm

Something I've noticed about Asperger's people (okay Aspies) from reading these forums is an enormously high literacy level and a quite high average intelligence (spelling mistakes on this board are few and far between) ... you may scoff but there are neurotypicals out there who can barely read or write who are earning a good living, some a fortune ... so I'm beginning to think the Aspies are probably too literate, and so probably think too much and don't DO enough.

pixxie69
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Mar 2010, 4:58 pm

DavidM wrote:
. you may scoff but there are neurotypicals out there who can barely read or write who are earning a good living, some a fortune ... so I'm beginning to think the Aspies are probably too literate, and so probably think too much and don't DO enough.

you probably got a good point there :wink: (no offense)

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2010, 5:10 pm

There always seems to be a disconnection there. People often mention how smart I seem, and are always surprised to hear how hard I find it to get and keep work.

AS for the 12%, I reckon that asperger's is seriously undiagnosed in our society, but most people manage to get along. If you had a job and a relationship and money and a couple of friends etc. why would you go looking for problems, or a diagnosis? A lot of guys i've spoken to in technical professions seem rather aspie like, but with fewer of the negative effects that I seem to have.

I guess most of y'all already said something simliar, but I'm not going to go reading the whole thread, sorry!

pixxie69
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Mar 2010, 5:13 pm

guestrider999 wrote:
, left the UK to work abroad. I find the cultural and language differences 'help' my day-to-day functioning, as my colleagues often just write off my constant faux pas as eccentricity.

Same here. Working/living abroad has the advantage, that in the language-course you get the standard "sentences and replies", bodylanguage and situation training you maybe lack otherwise. Faux pas can be mutually laughed off, and you're always free to ask about things you're unsure about.

asplint
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Mar 2010, 3:34 pm

Hello DavidM,

You have a very interesting point about being "too literate".

The lesson here is not that literacy and similar skills are bad. They're just not enough.

In any situation where humans interact, social skills are needed. You may have your own set of rules of what constitutes an insult or a threat to status and what doesn't; trust me, everyone else has their own preferred rules, too. We need commonly agreed indicators of these things just as we need commonly agreed rules of spelling, grammar and punctuation, for the exact same reason: we'd all misunderstand each other all the time otherwise.

Meanwhile, when we meet all sorts of people we have to negotiate (in both senses of the term) all sorts of perceptions, expectations and priorities. As the saying goes, when you ask five different witnesses to the accident, you get five different statements. Different people have very different views of what really happened - especially when we have to implicitly decide what is and is not important so we can deal with the important stuff.

Also, people communicate in all sorts of ways, not just by using literal verbal expressions. And people, reasonably enough (up to a point), expect others to respond to all sorts of communications, not just those in words.

I'd say it's human nature...but check out some chimpanzees or dogs or cats sometime. Even animals have detailed social codes and signals. Check out Richard Conniff's The Ape in the Corner Office, for example.

Basically, in the workplace people need social skills at least as much as technical skills, not necessarily because some boss has arbitrarily demanded it but because the nature of diverse people trying to cooperate demands it. I'm sorry to say this, but not being able to get along with co-workers - let alone superiors or customers - can be a perfectly good reason to dismiss someone.

What do you think?

http://www.asplint.com

dtoxic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Mar 2010, 4:12 am

Brittany2907 wrote:
I also think it has a lot to do with co-morbid issues - anxiety, depression, OCD etc. Sometimes they get so severe that it's impossible to work and no one can say that's not true because unless they have experienced it, they don't know what it's like to be told to get a job constantly by people yet at the same time be trying to fight the urge to throw yourself off a bridge. Life isn't always so simple when your own mind seems to be fighting against you.

+1

dtoxic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Mar 2010, 4:14 am

DavidM wrote:
... so I'm beginning to think the Aspies are probably too literate, and so probably think too much and don't DO enough.

This is a pretty good working definition of executive dysfunction.