Contractor with Federal Government

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2010, 11:20 pm

luvsterriers wrote:
Talked to a professor with a PHD and that is extreme experience with adults who have autism. A employee is an employee. So the Fed Govt should allow me to receive accommodations. So the co worker who told me I get no accommodations because I'm a contractor is a bigot. :twisted: I wonder if it's ok to hurt someone back? With words? Maybe I will feel better?

So you took the word of a coworker instead of talking to HR? That is who you need to talk to. I was a government contractor and then a civil service employee. There are very clear avenues you need to use to get the right information. First is the HR department for your company. NOT a coworker- they probably just wanted to piss you off.

Also, if your original contract stated that a job requirement was to train individuals, then this could be difficult for you. Is there any way you can train via email? I used to create extensive written training packages for people and send them via email or print them. There were times I had to sit with them too, but they had the paper and could ask specific questions. There is more than one way to train. You can make PowerPoint slides and have screenshots. This is an office job so maybe "hands on" training is not as necessary. It helps your case to be able to
provide ideas for alternatives rather than just telling them that you cannot train people because you have autism.

Edit to add: I was a contractor and Federal employee up in DC as well- I worked at Bolling AFB. There is a lot of competition up there for these jobs, so please think over what you CAN do instead of thinking so much what you can't, or think you can't do (sometimes it isn't impossible-have faith!)

Kirska
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2010, 7:15 pm

I work for a defense contractor and I do know of people who have been denied for security clearances based on having Asperger's. I, personally, am not diagnosed and have never had any treatment for it so it's not much of an issue for me. If you are considering the defense industry and you do have a diagnosis, be aware that it is a factor they may deny you for.

I'm not sure how accommodations go, but I have never seen any coworkers get accommodations for any sort of learning or personality disorder. The only accommodations I have seen are for physical disorders or physical differences.

JoeR43
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Mar 2010, 4:17 pm

luvsterriers, just want to post this generally:

Seems like EVERY thread in here, you have the ADA/lawyer card ready like it's a quick fix. It's not. It's time, money, aggrivation, and the burden of proof is on YOU to prove

a) You are disabled to a point where you can do jobs w/ reasonable accommodation

and

b) Your employer doesn't give you the opportunity to perform your duties with reasonable accommodation

Not to mention when you have a long trail of lawsuits against employers, guess what any good background investigator is going to find on you? You think ANY company wants to hire someone who leaves a lawyer trail everywhere they go? Even if you did win cases, what would the reward be?

Also, why is your coworker a bigot? Here's the Webster Dictionary definition of bigot:
a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

He said contractors don't get accommodations in a client site. He is right, and I fail to see how even if it's wrong, he's showing intolerance (and I don't know why you're promoting that you have AS to begin with, good luck getting promoted ever with that cloud hanging over your head).

Now I don't know the extent of your disability, but given that you landed a job with a federal contractor, I have to assume it's not crippling. How about instead of acting like it's you v. the world, you ask for help when needed? If you feel uncomfortable consulting w/ government employees and other contractors, then consult with your boss on the proper things to do. Also, since we've AS, I'm sure attention to detail is a weakness (which can be a problem given how process-oriented gov't agencies are, and you'll be doing work to support them). Ask for other's input when you've made significant progress, and see what they have to say (I doubt they'll have a new guy on an island in the office, you'll likely have coworkers from the same company). If they see your pestering as weakness, explain that you're trying to build on your less-developed skills, even though I doubt they'd fry a new employee for asking for help. So instead of worrying about the law, ADA, and things, worry about being the best damn employee you can be. I bet you'll be better off.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2010, 6:43 am

JoeR43 wrote:
Not to mention when you have a long trail of lawsuits against employers, guess what any good background investigator is going to find on you? You think ANY company wants to hire someone who leaves a lawyer trail everywhere they go? Even if you did win cases, what would the reward be?

Sadly, this is the double-edge sword of pursuing your "rights."

I've been there, don't know if I've been denied jobs because of it (a background check that would uncover complaints to EEOC or court filings cost money), but every time you file a formal complaint or suit in court, there is a paper trail. Even if you are 100% justified to pursue your rights, it paints you as the problem person...even if you really were the victim.

Every time I filed an EEOC claim, I had good cause. The problem (not to sound racist) is that I am a white male, and even though issues like my religious beliefs or even my race (hiring was pro-black and anti-white) were involved, the simple fact is that such organizations are more interested in uplifting the cause of what they deem "minorities in need of protection" and not "workplace equality" as they profess is the purpose of the law that they enforce.

I know full well IF I get a formal diagnosis of AS, I cannot risk disclosing it in a job interview unless they are actively trying to hire people with disabilities. Employers are avoiding the disabled at all costs, and it may not be legal, but proving it is next to impossible short of an employer being dumb enough to openly admit that they are doing it.

You know WHO the law protects? The militant minority (often black) who preemptively files complaints and has a lawyer (if not civil rights activist groups) on speed-dial to make a big stink on his/her behalf. Such a person generates so much attention that an employer has no choice but to never fire and never deny them promotion...even if what their work performance dictates is that they never be promoted and that they should be fired.

For everyone else, exercising your rights can result in being unemployable...depending on how much people talk about you behind your back.