Managing people - employee with a problem

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

julieme
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 May 2006, 10:41 pm

Hi,

One of the people I supervise has told me thay have been diagnosed as clinically depressed with ADD.

Work policy is that he should get accomodations (lighter work load, etc, while he is working things out, and get visits to our clinical social workers) but he does not want me to tell anyone - which I'd have to do to get him accomodations.

Any ideas?

Aeriel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 May 2006, 7:43 am

Are there other circumstances that would allow your employee the special accomodations s/he seeks? Like minor injury, recovery from physical illness, etc.? Or simply "reasons of personal health"?

But if the employee is going to get visits from a clinical social worker, won't the real reason come out anyway?

julieme
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 May 2006, 8:54 am

Hi,
THings have gotten worse. X has not shown up for work. I said he called in sick. Yesterday I found him crying in the lab storage room. He has lost a lot of weight and no longer stands up straight

How do I poroceede- obviously the therapist he started seeing is not helping.
I have already talked to him nicely and he just cries or says what a horrid person he is --

I am starting to have to give his work to others. When they ask where he is I just say he is sick.

Pretty sonn I'm going to have to tell someone

pzrn
Raven
Raven

26 May 2006, 6:37 pm

It sounds like he is decompensating pretty rapidly from the depression with the weight loss, crying, and not showing up for work. You probably do need to tell someone in a higher position at work. With his behavior/symptoms getting worse, they are going to notice anyway. Then it may come back to you in the form of 'you were the only one who knew, why didn't you say anything so we could have helped him before things got this bad?'

Hopefully there is someone very understanding at work who you can tell, someone who will work with him to get him the help he needs while protecting him from losing his job.