Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Adamantus
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Feb 2011, 8:24 am

I don't know what to do. I'm slow and make too many mistakes to be good for anything. Do any of you have jobs and if so, what are they and how long have you had them? I have many options for a career now but don't know what I'm really capable of.

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2011, 9:16 am

I have a job.
I basically just answer the phones and make the tea.

zee
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2011, 7:04 pm

Adamantus wrote:
I don't know what to do. I'm slow and make too many mistakes to be good for anything. Do any of you have jobs and if so, what are they and how long have you had them? I have many options for a career now but don't know what I'm really capable of.

I don't have a full-time job, and I find a lot of the labour-type work I do boring, but I still get experience and find out more about myself, and about jobs that I never knew existed. (I work in the theatre & film industry). I also worked in a warehouse for 2 years, boring, but it gave me time to think about what I'd rather do instead. Also worked for a gardening company for several summers--it's good if you like to be outdoors and active.

The best thing that ever happened to me was getting into a union... they can't fire you b/c you're slow, not social enough, etc., and there's other people in my union who are just as bad as I am, and they would probably not be able to find work anywhere else.

There must be something you are good at. The best career advice I ever got was "follow your passion", meaning things you are interested in & start there.

RandomSniper
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Mar 2011, 12:14 pm

emlion wrote:
I have a job.
I basically just answer the phones and make the tea.

I want your job.

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2011, 12:53 pm

:D it's pretty easy going.
except the occasional sexist comments from the mechanics, but it's kind of cute at the same time. ^.^

DoniiMann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Mar 2011, 3:53 pm

I'd advise finding a job where you don't have to multi-task in a sporadic way. For example, my last job had multi-tasking, but only in context of my work station. I knew my tasks and moved around my little world far better than anyone who held my position in the company's previous twenty five years (or so I was told). BUT... take me out of there and set me a task in another part of the site, well things got real slow and clumsy.

Factory, quality control, secretary/admin, cake decorator, craftsperson, plant nursery, etc are all jobs that allow you to work in a limited radius and know your subject well enough to not get tripped up too often on 'the unknown'.