Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

catsagdn
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Jan 2007, 5:48 am

I am from Canada, from the Yukon Territories to be exact. I have mild asperger syndrome, however, I completed the prerequesites that one needs in order to apply to the Bachelor of Social Work program here at the local college http://www.yukoncollege.yk.ca/programs/bsw/index.php . I am scared, I know that my teacher and Psychiatrist told me to persure a career such as an accountant, or a Librarian, that doesn't require complex interpersonal skills. But I majored in Criminology, and I wonder what kind of jobs you can get with that. I want a good job, but I am scared, as I already submitted my application to the social work program. What should I do, anyone please answer this question.

CAN AN ASPIE WORK AS A SOCIAL WORKER?
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

alex
Developer
Developer

24 Jan 2007, 8:43 am

catsagdn wrote:
I am from Canada, from the Yukon Territories to be exact. I have mild asperger syndrome, however, I completed the prerequesites that one needs in order to apply to the Bachelor of Social Work program here at the local college http://www.yukoncollege.yk.ca/programs/bsw/index.php . I am scared, I know that my teacher and Psychiatrist told me to persure a career such as an accountant, or a Librarian, that doesn't require complex interpersonal skills. But I majored in Criminology, and I wonder what kind of jobs you can get with that. I want a good job, but I am scared, as I already submitted my application to the social work program. What should I do, anyone please answer this question.

CAN AN ASPIE WORK AS A SOCIAL WORKER?
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

An aspie can be whatever they want to be. I don't think its fair for your psychiatrist to limit your career options by telling you not to do certain jobs that you really want to do.

janicka
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2007, 3:46 pm

alex wrote:
An aspie can be whatever they want to be. I don't think its fair for your psychiatrist to limit your career options by telling you not to do certain jobs that you really want to do.

I would have to agree with Alex.

Realize, too, that you do not necessarily have to interact with people in a complex manner to be a social worker. You could do research, for instance. Discharge planning in hospitals is also something that requires organization, but you don't necessarily have to spend hours on end listening to peoples' problems. There are all sorts of options in that field that don't involve you becoming a therapist.

I dropped out of a MSW program because I had a particularly nasty advisor who was really pushing me to work with children - something I am not good at. She basically told me that I could never be a social worker if I was afraid of children. I sort of regret dropping out because it was a load of crap what she told me. I'm totally happy with my MPH and current job tho. My main regret is letting some hostile NT egotist tell me that I could not enter the profession due to my fear of working with children.

catsagdn
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Jan 2007, 3:56 pm

Are you really sure that a person with asperger syndrome can really have a career as a social worker? are you folks really pulling my leg?

janicka
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2007, 4:20 pm

catsagdn wrote:
Are you really sure that a person with asperger syndrome can really have a career as a social worker? are you folks really pulling my leg?

I agree with Alex's original statement that you can be whatever you want.

I had a negative experience with my program, but please realize that Social Work is such an extremely diverse profession... You choose a career path that will not put you in a position that you feel too limited to do.

Katou
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Jan 2007, 7:30 pm

Not to hijack your thread or anything, but..

I've always said to go with your heart in whichever career path you choose, and not let others negatively affect your outcome. Some people will find their niche in their chosen field.

I have AS, and I'm studying part-time for my Bachelors of Elementary Education. Everyone and their dogs are recommending me against it, but I've found a niche called "special education" where I intend to work with. The smaller classes, young children who have autistic or other issues won't really affect me how I operate. I've had a chance to supply teach in special ed a few years back and I've loved it immensely, and have gotten recommendations from some instructors that I may have a "gift" in the field.

Cheers!

catsagdn
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Jan 2007, 2:47 am

I have a new sense of confidence after reading all of your posts; most of whom were encouraging and thoughtful. Like one reader on this forum, I can't work with children because I find myself very uncomfortable around them and I can't relate to them. On the other hand, I can relate to adults better because during conversation they are more mature and are more likely to cooperate with help. Since my major is criminology and I am obsessed with crime related subjects, I want to help incarcerated inmates while they are in prison, and help former inmates adjust to life upon their release from prison. Since here in the Yukon most inmates are aboriginal (Native-American) and myself being part aboriginal, I want to help former incarcerated aboriginals integrate back into the community and help them adjust to a society that is largely shaped by European and Christian culture, as opposed to traditional aminaist aboriginal culture. My next step into the BSW program is an interview next month, I hope to ace the interview and get into the BSW program. Thank you everyone