Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

jeems
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Jan 2011, 6:21 pm

i feel like i'm doing nothing with my life. i try to do things but i never get around to it or i have a panic attack. i'm an amatuer filmmaker and writer. and i feel like i should be doing more

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2011, 9:50 pm

Have you seen a doctor? Are you on any medications? If you can find a medication that can help you gain control of your focus and motivation, you'll be a lot more productive. See your doc about this. You don't have to live with everything out of reach and unfinished.

DeusMechanicus
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Feb 2011, 1:33 pm

Medication is not the most effective route for dealing for a very ordinary human concern.
This is not unusual. People need to learn to be more self-disciplined rather than rely on medical solutions.

It may be necessary for you to consider or develop other interests. Since you are an Aspie, I would suggest a scientific or technical discipline. Many more of your skills and abilities await discovery.

jackbus01
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2011, 5:10 am

DeusMechanicus wrote:
Medication is not the most effective route for dealing for a very ordinary human concern.
This is not unusual. People need to learn to be more self-disciplined rather than rely on medical solutions.

It may be necessary for you to consider or develop other interests. Since you are an Aspie, I would suggest a scientific or technical discipline. Many more of your skills and abilities await discovery.

Medication could be effective here especially since the OP was talking about "panic attacks". Also telling someone to be "more self-disciplined" is almost insulting.

backagain
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Mar 2011, 3:08 pm

I think the idea of more self discipline is a good one. Many many medications do not work in the long term, that is why they keep coming out with newer drugs for depression, anxiety, etc, and most have side effects best avoided.
Mental self discipline worked for me in the form of cognitive therapy, which helps one realize how much their thoughts (over which we have control) affect our emotions and even physiological reactions.
It takes time though, so maybe some anti anxiety help in the form of medication while in therapy might be the ticket.

Cognitive therapy was the best thing I ever found after decades of being medicated here and there.