Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

NCISAGENT
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Mar 2011, 6:57 pm

This may have been covered but I want to ask has any one had this when there at the Job centre where you not been able to find work for 6 mouth's and you go for a review and you think that it going to be simple not for me wasn't as there person seem not to have a clue much less a care that I had Aspergers syndrome as she asked me what job that I'm able to do.

Now that in it self it a very hard one for a person such as my self but as you think the advisor try to give you jobs that have no connection to what you want to do in the first place and second the person that doing the interview hurry's you into think of one that in it self if is not helping or asking what Aspergers is as I said to her as we talked that my disability are on her screen and I felt like she didn't care.

Any way after giving her what she wants she tell me that if I don't apply for the job she gave me I be docked 6 months of JSA.

Now I have a part time job as first aider and about to start a voluntary job as steward and I said this at the beginning of the meeting now would that sound to you that I'm look for a job as well as gain experience you could even look it as a work trial.

But she pushed me into think of job that I'm able to do not what I WOULD WANT TO DO now think would be more happy in a job that your happy with rather then doing a job so you can get off JSA ? as I think this is one on the massive failing of the Job centre that they want to bully people into jobs that no one wants and not only that they have little or on care for a person with a disability.

Don't get me wrong finding the job I want it a mission in it self and that I want to work in the TV and film industry but I think that more could be done to better costumer relations when it come to looking for a job to person with disability's.

Poppycocteau
Toucan
Toucan

21 Mar 2011, 7:15 pm

It sounds like you need to apply for ESA - this is the benefit on which you will be supported in your search for work, rather than forced into jobs you can't do. That's the idea, anyway.

Do you have a diagnosis?

NCISAGENT
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Mar 2011, 7:19 pm

hmm sounds like a good plain and yes I'm diagnosied with Aspergers but I'm claming DLA can I still get that and ESA ?

Poppycocteau
Toucan
Toucan

21 Mar 2011, 7:57 pm

Yes - DLA does not relate to income. You can still have it even when you're working.

If you qualify for DLA then you should be able to get ESA for the same reasons, and help finding a suitable job, and not just the first thing the Job Centre drone sees on her screen.

Here's some information about it:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeo ... /DG_171894

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 9:37 pm

NCISAGENT wrote:
. . . Now I have a part time job as first aider and about to start a voluntary job as steward . . .

That sounds very good, that you have multiple positives going at the same time.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 9:40 pm

Yes, they try and slam dunk people (if it's anything like similar social services here in the States). Yes, in order to get their 'numbers' up. You need to just accept that as part of the social landscape---and then be very strategic in response.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 9:44 pm

Any chance you might be able to go to the next appointment with a friend or family member? And for example, you might just say, you sometimes have trouble negotiating bureaucratic structures, or something similarly benign. And the fact that you have a witness there, the person is going to be more professional and more on the top of their game. You might find it really changes the social dynamic.

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 10:53 pm

Yeah, they're morons - I REALLY regret not keeping some sort of diary or blog of all their stupidity.

My experience with them and asperger's was that after nearly 3 years telling them 'I can't use a phone' while they had me applying for call centre roles, they finally listened but decided that it was my fault I was applying for jobs I couldn't do and because of that plus my problems using a phone I wasn't keeping to my job seekers agreement. Adviser called me 'mentally incapable of working', and went from encouraging me to get my nursing degree and go for managerial roles, to telling me I was barely able to manage working on a check-outs. I was forced onto ESA - I didn't get to stay on ESA because there's no criteria for asperger's thus I scored zero - so back on JSA (4 months later it's still not set-up correctly, but they're too incompetent to sort it out, and given as their only way to address the issue is via phone it's probably never going to get sorted).

The job centre manager and this adviser obviously denied this ever happened, claiming that they had done all sorts of things to help me (omitting all the above, or examples such as forcing me to leave college, or forcing me into a dangerous work trial) and I was obviously just refusing to work - I'm just plain dole scum...or specifically dole scum who 'cried for attention' (aka - had a meltdown after being insulted and kicked off job seekers by their ignorant staff).

I now have a disability adviser who doesn't seem to know anything about Asperger's, or care about what Asperger's is...other than thinking it's hilarious that I struggle using a phone while not being deaf - he's not asked me what sort of jobs I can do or can't do, not discussed my 'disability' at all, offered zero support what-so-ever in helping me back into work or providing me any sort of information, in fact he's worse than other advisers as all he does is do a job search like they do on sign-on days.

I have NO IDEA AT ALL what jobs I can apply for, what to do about my lack of references, how to get voluntary jobs, what to do about arranging interviews when I struggle using a phone...I NEED support, but nope...get none.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

NCISAGENT
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Mar 2011, 11:11 am

I will have a look at that Poppycocteau and see if I can get that and AardvarkGoodSwimmer I will take that advice as well and have done in the past but at the time when I had the meeting my mom and dad where busy but my mother is going to make a complaint as I feel the woman that was dealing with me didn't know or care as the last person I saw understood my circumstances.

but the fact remains that no one in the job centre can't take into account mental disability's and I think that is discrimination to a small degree as they think they see a able body when that person could need as much help as some that deaf or blind any way I'm rambling.

((Bloodheart ))

I know what you mean and can rifle lots about my time with them and such and I think we should take a bit of a stand with this with the government as this has gone on too long and there need to be change to the way that person with a mental disability's finds work.

I could tell you loads about how the job centre and how they do my head and make my life more difficult.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 12:11 pm

Sounds like you are not in the USA, but two tips...

1. You are dealing with a bureaucrat. They aren't in their job to care. Frankly, a lot of them are burned out and just doing the gig for the money.

2. Unemployment insurance in the USA works in a similar way. Unless you have a good reason, you must apply for jobs they refer you to. Even with a good reason, not applying for a job will result in a suspension of benefits until a hearing is held to decide if you had good cause to not apply. So, it's easier to just put in the application and be done with it.

3. Applying does not mean you will get an interview. There are lots of ways to throw an interview if you don't want the job. You can only be penalized if you are offered a job by the employer and turn it down. In short, they can't make the employer offer you a job you don't want.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2011, 1:31 pm

Better jobs are easier.

For example, working for an accounting firm is easier than working as a checker in a grocery store. And I don't mean easier relative to the pay or easier relative to the responsibility, I mean easier in absolute terms! A professional or paraprofessional job is easier in almost every dimension that counts. You're likely to have a boss that's somewhat of a good coach rather than a petty ogre like a person might have in a grocery store. The work is less repetitive, more interesting, and it might even be appreciated to some extent. And on the aspie dimension, the grocery store will have background noise and stupid, repetitive, insulting commercials over the intercom system. All these aspects will be subdued in the office. The good job, at both one and the same time, has both less downside and more positive upside.