Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2011, 5:42 pm

Well,
so far I've applied over at the local DVR (Division of Vocational Rehabilitation) though i still haven't heard back, I'm currently applying for SSI (Supplementary Security Income), & i've just qualified for some retail job training at my local Seattle Goodwill store (i just haven't been able to break into retail since i have virtually no relevant experience on my resume, so i thought this might help with that somewhat.

I'm hoping for the best :) .

Anyone know anything else i might try :o ?
Any advice as far as things that have helped you get a job? Ways to improve the resume, etc.
or any other helpful programs?

or would anyone like to share their success stories?
Thanks

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2011, 6:34 pm

Learn a trade. Computer repair, car mechanic, bicycle mechanic, something like that. Beware though, there are a lot of "trade schools" out there that are scams. If you learn a trade, you can always work for yourself.

aliensyndrome
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 May 2011, 7:06 pm

had dvr interview, didnt hear for them for months, then they gave me a drug test which i failed and they closed my case

WestBender84
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Jul 2013, 7:59 pm

DVR is time-wasting red tape. They do JACK-SQUAT.

Auto repair would be good due to being in demand and heavy on details, but employers are sticklers for having an ideal customer service rep in every mechanic. I hate to stereotype, but employers do, and so you need to play up your computer skills (whether you're an expert programmer or are secretly a novice in training).

And if despite your self-improvement employers still give you $h1t or nothing at all, then apply for SSI and get your entitlement for being treated like crap by Corporate America. They have a lot of nerve to effectively say we're useless! $*&#*&# them to ($*@)! !!