I've encountered Aspie discrimination....

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

SadAspy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 8:23 pm

My vocational rehab office got me an interview for a low-paying, part-time job (but hey something's better than nothing). It was pretty brief, and the interview really didn't ask me questions so much as talk about the job. Today, my counselor called to say I got a second interview, but also that the interviewer didn't like that I wasn't very talkative (and it's true...I especially despise small talk, and I suspect most Aspies do). That's right....apparently, not being talkative can keep you from getting a job.

Now you may ask why I care. After all, I got a second interview, and it's not like it's a great job. I care because I've probably lost out on other, better jobs because I wasn't bubbly and outgoing in the interview. That's all employers care about.....they'll give the job to somebody with less qualifications all because they're more likeable. It's discrimination against those with on the spectrum, but it's also discrimination against anyone who's introverted. I'm really sick to death of living in a society of, by, and for the extroverts.

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2011, 9:32 pm

Well, Plato once said that wise men talk because they have something to say, and fools talk because they have to say something. We live in a society of fools. What do you expect from that?

orchidee
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Jul 2011, 12:37 am

Unless the job had something to do with social interaction - dealing with customers, frequent meetings, etc. - I don't think that's right... but in a way we do live in a world of extroverts. I'm mostly introverted myself and I think at times it can be really rough, whether you're on the spectrum or not.

However, congratulations on the second interview. I hope that you get the job!

MountainLaurel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 12:40 am

You call this discrimination?

You just received an uncommon gift. At being called back for a second interview, you were told exactly how to improve your appeal in the the 2nd round. A free cheat sheet, so to say. Do you know how rare that is and how much advantage it gives you?

Would it kill you to extend yourself for a 15 minute interview and talk to the interviewer?

Speech at job interviews is not blabbing; silly social chit chat. It is a short serious conversation which allows the interviewer to see that you are serious about wanting the job and willing to engage in a short discussion of such.

SadAspy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 1:01 am

Mindslave wrote:
Well, Plato once said that wise men talk because they have something to say, and fools talk because they have to say something. We live in a society of fools. What do you expect from that?

Well-said. We really are turning into the Mike Judge movie Idiocracy.

orchidee wrote:
Unless the job had something to do with social interaction - dealing with customers, frequent meetings, etc. - I don't think that's right... but in a way we do live in a world of extroverts.

If it's a sales job, I understand. If it's any other type of job, I think it's BS.

MountainLaurel wrote:
You call this discrimination?

As I said in the OP, I'm sure I have lost out on other jobs because I wasn't chatty Cathy, but employers wouldn't just say it like this one did. Yeah, I know introverts aren't a protected class, but Aspies are!

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 1:28 am

SadAspy wrote:
That's all employers care about.....they'll give the job to somebody with less qualifications all because they're more likeable.

In my personal experiance, this is true on some introverted jobs even. If you win the first impression, then they might consider your experiance. Not many people give a fart about actual skill and effort, just satisfactory performance. If you're on a spectrum, then it's a terrible, depressing pain in the butt.

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2011, 8:36 pm

how was the second interview?

SadAspy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2011, 10:42 am

liveandletdie wrote:
how was the second interview?

It didn't happen. Vocational rehab screwed me over yet again.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2011, 11:14 am

I think its true that jobs are given to the people that the interviewer likes. I know how to act through an interview and have had lots of practice. But I hate doing it because I know that when the employ me they will find out I am not that person.

mesona
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Jul 2011, 1:09 pm

Robdemanc wrote:
I think its true that jobs are given to the people that the interviewer likes. I know how to act through an interview and have had lots of practice. But I hate doing it because I know that when the employ me they will find out I am not that person.

Same. I know all the right answers and how look good on paper but when it comes to the job it self I about going about half the speed hey want...

gc1ceo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Aug 2011, 5:17 pm

Yes not having social skills can keep you from a job, its a fact of life, you have to try and be a certain level of social for most job interviews. I'd treat it almost like acting like another person, maybe even script it a bit in your head. I have the same problem sorta in job interviews, I wear my emotions and state of mind on my sleeve too easily so its hard for me to act confident or whatever if I'm not.

It also depends the job, if its a job with socialization you might stop now and try and find something else because the socialization in the job will even more intense then the interview. If you don't deal with a single soul for the most part in the job you might be upfront and honest and say that socializing constantly with people is something that you feel is a "weakness of yours" but then utterly emphasize your other traits.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2011, 6:22 pm

Im guessing you guys are right. Cause the one interview I did very well in cause I chit chatted with the interviewer and showed excitement. See I didnt even know it was an interview, I thought it was a meeting. She told me, that we'd meet and then see if we could schedule an interview. But then she changed her mind w/out telling me and just had the interview. I wasnt nervous cause I thought it was a meeting.

Because of how friendly appeared, she overlooked the fact that i didnt have a small qualification and told me I had a good shot at the job. I walked out of their later wondering how the hell I did that. I thought it was gonna take intensive training to impressive an interviewer.

Still crossing my fingers for the job.

gc1ceo

19 Aug 2011, 7:27 pm

Sounds good, I'm terrible at interviews myself.

Marlena
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Aug 2011, 9:55 am

hey, i had a similar experience don't worry.

when i went into my interview the man who was interviewing me told me i was shy before i could even answer one of the questions he asked me! that comment didn't bother me too much since i am a shy person but when i was talking a little bit about myself, i unknowly made no eye contact with him (i have a habit of talking and not really making eye contact with people). he stopped me after i was done and told me i should make better i contact and he would'nt be sure to hire someone if they didn't make eye contact. that really made me upset and i was pretty shaken by that but i had to finish the interview. I felt like he was discrimitory towards me as well just because i was soft spoken, shy, and didn't have the best people/interview skills. I really understand your frustration and where you're coming from. I hope its gets better :)

voyage-one

21 Aug 2011, 2:10 am

For me personally, I become racked with nerves before a job interview.
I don't know if it's the fluorescent lights or moron managers, I just prefer to get
the interview done and dusted without a hitch.

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2011, 10:21 am

Ai_Ling wrote:
Im guessing you guys are right. Cause the one interview I did very well in cause I chit chatted with the interviewer and showed excitement. See I didnt even know it was an interview, I thought it was a meeting. She told me, that we'd meet and then see if we could schedule an interview. But then she changed her mind w/out telling me and just had the interview. I wasnt nervous cause I thought it was a meeting.
Best of luck on that.

Heh, the last company I really interviewed with, I had an old friend call me up to take me out to lunch. I suspected that he might broach the topic of a job in his new company which I had asked him about.

I was pretty relaxed because I thought it was just lunch between friends to catch up.

He shows up, brings another guy with him, and tells me that rather than just catching up, this lunch is a preliminary interview, not just for a job as a data scrubber that I'd seen, but, a job as a Project Manager, then asked to hear my 'elevator speech'.

I was completely and totally in shock for a minute. But, I finally found my voice and rolled with it. I did not come off very confidently. But, luckily the guy has read a lot of stuff I've written and knew my skillset was appropriate.

I fumbled through my 2nd interview as well, giving short answers. I had researched the company and talked to two other employees who worked there, so, once I got passed the basics of the benefits package and client list, I did not have any other questions about the company. For some reason, I think they expected me to.

Still hoping that one might come through, once the economy picks up more.