Does Anybody Here Work As A Financial Analyst or Accountant?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

bluecountry
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Jul 2011, 12:29 am

I am very curious on if being a Financial Analyst would work with me, given I have AS.

I am good at research, digging deep and analyzing (or over analyzing) anything!
I have an interest in doing investments.
I can handle and enjoy some degree of people interaction, 75/25 split in terms of solo research v dealing with people.

My big thing is I need a job with predictable structure in terms of what will be done each day, what the hours are, and if they can be steady 9-5, some OT ok but better if it's more on occassion than regular and known in advance.

I know accounting is ranked high for AS Jobs, but I am more interested in learning about how to invest and manage money as opposed to doing taxes.

I am NOT into being a day trader, more like an analyst who helps firms decide how to invest retirement funds.

If any of you work in the finance or accounting field, please, please do share if you feel this will or will not fit.
Thanks.

bluecountry
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Jul 2011, 12:38 am

I'd be curious on how being a financial analyst compares to that of accountant in terms of:

1) Do accountants mostly do taxes or do they handle money management and investing too?
2) How do the hours compare? Are both similar or is finance much longer and less 9-5?
3) Are both predictable in terms of the work for the day?
4) Do you get out of the office much?
5) Would an AS person fit?

mv
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2011, 7:01 am

I'm an actuary, not a financial analyst, but I do similar things (research, risk assessment, etc.). It's a *great* fit for being AS, and depending on the firm you get into, you can dictate how much interpersonal interaction you get. Go for it!

bluecountry
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Jul 2011, 10:41 am

The biggest thing for me is:

KEY KEY KEY
1) Predictable work schedule in terms of knowing what my day and hours will be and being able to have a gameplan
2) "Bankers" hours, not "trial lawyer" hours with good work-life balance are VERY big.

So my question, given what works best for me, is the finance industry a good fit? Is it common or typical to find a position which follows this structure or would it be something not to count on?

I have heard people say those in finance work long, long 80 hour weeks, overwhelming and too much for me.

If I could find a job which does investment and financial analysis and has managable hours I would be fine.
Question, is this normal and possible in the finance industry or not?

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2011, 4:17 pm

There was a similar thread recently where I posted lots about what I do as a CPA, and what I see as some of the pros and cons, and how that plays out with career paths. If you find my post list, you can probably find the thread.

bluecountry
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Jul 2011, 1:31 am

Is there an easy way to search instead of going through 6K posts!?

nicknottaken
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Jul 2011, 5:06 am

bluecountry wrote:

I think DW_a_mom meant this thread: http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt165281.html . She made some informative posts here. :)

bluecountry
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jul 2011, 1:46 pm

work in the finance field?

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2011, 4:41 pm

Good luck getting a job as a financial analyst... Every single one of those jobs I've looked at requires a degree and at least 2 years of experience.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 7:37 am

Cyanide wrote:
Good luck getting a job as a financial analyst... Every single one of those jobs I've looked at requires a degree and at least 2 years of experience.

The good news is that part isn't always necessarily hard and fast. They will lower that for the right people, you just have to work a heck of a lot harder when you're new to the field.

I can't say much on financial analyst work, I work in a niche area of the auditing world and am looking for new employment. My own concern as well when I look around has been that anywhere I wanted to get in, my four years of experience are great but everyone's wanted GL for the positions I was looking for :(. Hopefully something will break for both of us regardless of how stench the economy is.

The good news about financial analyst work though - it will be in demand. Its one of the few fields (and accounting in general) that are experiencing significant growth.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Stereokid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jul 2011, 11:39 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Cyanide wrote:

The good news is that part isn't always necessarily hard and fast. They will lower that for the right people, you just have to work a heck of a lot harder when you're new to the field.

I can't say much on financial analyst work, I work in a niche area of the auditing world and am looking for new employment. My own concern as well when I look around has been that anywhere I wanted to get in, my four years of experience are great but everyone's wanted GL for the positions I was looking for :(. Hopefully something will break for both of us regardless of how stench the economy is.

The good news about financial analyst work though - it will be in demand. Its one of the few fields (and accounting in general) that are experiencing significant growth.

What exactly do you mean by "the right people?"

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2011, 2:59 pm

Stereokid wrote:
What exactly do you mean by "the right people?"

Sharp, good GPA, etc.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2011, 4:31 pm

bluecountry wrote:

I'm glad someone found it for you.

The self-directed way to approach the problem is this: she must have written that recently, or she wouldn't assume there is an easy way to find it.

At the time I wrote this post, the thread I was thinking of had happened in the past week. I didn't link it because I wasn't typing on a device where that is easy to do, but I wouldn't have suggested finding if I had thought it would be difficult.

Be aware that the financial worlds do expect you to show a certain amount of self-direction, to take an incomplete instruction and see the way to narrow it down. Without wasting a lot of time, of course. If that doesn't work, you can go back to your boss and ask for more detail, noting that you already took steps A and B, didn't get results quickly, and are now worried about wasting time.