The real reason why Aspies are often unemployable.

Page 4 of 10 [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next

Electric_Kite
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2011, 11:45 pm

Yeah.

All I can say is that higher education is fun, and you can put off the nigh-inevitable doing it. But the people who say it'll help you get a good job in the future don't mean you. They mean NTs. You and me are free to choose fields of study with zero professional applications and it probably won't make a scrap of difference. The mindless factory job I'm going to apply for tomorrow or the next day doesn't need my BA or my Master's. And I'll be grateful to have it. If I even get it.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2011, 11:48 pm

Electric_Kite wrote:
DW, what assistance?

I am very clever and highly skilled and just got myself a professional degree in a field that I am very very well suited for. I loved my internship work and, according to my boss-mentor-person there, did an excellent, really impressive job at it.

I got help from family and used all I'd managed to save to try to play the cognitive hand I've been dealt as best I possibly could, and if you judge by my graduate school grades and my internship and volunteer work I made a very smart move.

But I can't get hired, and I asked the Autism Society in my state if they could help me get an official diagnosis so I could get some assistance in finding work and get hiring committees to cut me a break and they said that they could only help me get accommodations after hire, but I don't need that because I tried to get myself into a career where I wouldn't need them, and as far as I know I don't. I just need to get hired. But I can't get hired and there's no assistance for that.

I believed it was possible. And now I'll have to take the kind of job where they just hire anybody and don't care about interviews, and my intelligence and skills won't be used, and the sensory issues and stress problems that I thought I had successfully worked around by choosing a career that didn't set them off will be there for those jobs. If I'm lucky I'll come home shaking every day, puke, and fall into bed but be able to hold it together well enough to not get fired and keep the job long enough that I can get another sh***y job and not end up blacklisted for having changed jobs every month. If not, well, I can live in my mom's garage. Until I can't any more, and am homeless.

And I'm a f-g genius, I am.

The service would be the one you were hoping the autism society would provide: a way to get the job without having to go through an interview process that brings out the worst in you, but not the best.

Totally brainstorming here:

What if you could skip the interview and show a portfolio of your work?

What if someone was allowed to come to the interview with you and explain that the situation makes you uncomfortable because of neurological difference, but that if they have a test problem to give you, you would love to do it?

In a world where a good percentage of the work force can and does telecommute, there ARE jobs that don't require inter-personal skills. The trick is connecting to the potential employers.

You are right, that process does not exist today. But shouldn't it? And why couldn't it?

Mishmash
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Sep 2011, 6:03 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
That is simular to the path I seem to be on...except I have not graduated from college yet and can already see it coming, I'll get a degree and not be able to find work so what is even the point of pursuing the degree....and it certainly does not seem there is much help availible for that problem

My heart goes out to you Sweetleaf; I hope you come to a place soon where you are able to feel positively about your studies, education and future.
I am about to pursue a degree aged 27. I am not bothered if I am able to find work in my chosen field of study (luckily I am working in the industry at the moment, but that may change any time), it would be lovely if I did, but not essential. To me the degree is worth it; I am doing it for myself, for the love of my subject and for the love of improving my mind and knowledge. I am not doing it to impress future employers, I am doing it for self-gratification! And if I happen to get hired in the field, HUZZAH! If I don't get hired in the field it will open other doors for me in unrelated jobs where the advert states "must be educated to degree-level".
Please don't anyone misunderstand me, attatining this dregee will NOT be easy; I live alone on very little money, have no support (financial or practical) from either parent and in general have really struggled my whole life. However I have chosen a small course, and the people I have met from the department at the Uni so far seem just as odd as me! :o)
It is SO important not to let the past colour the future; don't paint future dreams with the memory of a tarnished past. Otherwise you have already created your self-fulfilling prophecy of failure, and who wants to create THAT for themselves? Not me.

Electric_Kite
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2011, 2:43 pm

DW, yeah. It should be like that, but it isn't. I'm 36 years old and have never been financially independent, because it isn't like that. And I don't expect it will be in my lifetime.

What worked quite perfectly for me was how I got my internship -- I applied, they didn't interview me, they interviewed my instructors about me. And probably thought, "Oh, god, what have we got ourselves into?" when I arrived, and got a happy surprise because I was ripping along with an acceptably low error rate within twelve hours. And by the time it was done they'd forgotten that I'm weird. I wish employers would just call my internship supervisors and ask them.

Actually, I think I do have the interpersonal skills for this work, or even some more intensely social stuff. I was 'lead' on a little project with another student who was behind me in the program and after a few days she, without my asking, started to remark on how pleasant and easy I am to work with and why. It was nice and very useful feedback. But nobody's going to know that about me based on a 30 minute interview. As I understand it, 30 minutes with me just leaves people thinking, "There's something creepy about this guy and I'm not sure what." It's better if I tell them what, but half the time they think I'm joking or something, I guess. Maybe that's why I can't pass an interview. I'm either a creep, or a creepy clown. But really, I do quite well socially if people give me some time. (I imagine that it is sort of like watching a CGI character in a movie. It looks horrible and kind of scary for a while, and then you get used to it.)

Heck, I am not even uncomfortable during interviews. I don't mind them. Meds do wonders for me and I'm pretty comfortable talking with people now. I wonder if this makes me worse, though -- they also make me chatty, and ticcy.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2011, 3:20 pm

Mishmash wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
That is simular to the path I seem to be on...except I have not graduated from college yet and can already see it coming, I'll get a degree and not be able to find work so what is even the point of pursuing the degree....and it certainly does not seem there is much help availible for that problem

My heart goes out to you Sweetleaf; I hope you come to a place soon where you are able to feel positively about your studies, education and future.
I am about to pursue a degree aged 27. I am not bothered if I am able to find work in my chosen field of study (luckily I am working in the industry at the moment, but that may change any time), it would be lovely if I did, but not essential. To me the degree is worth it; I am doing it for myself, for the love of my subject and for the love of improving my mind and knowledge. I am not doing it to impress future employers, I am doing it for self-gratification! And if I happen to get hired in the field, HUZZAH! If I don't get hired in the field it will open other doors for me in unrelated jobs where the advert states "must be educated to degree-level".
Please don't anyone misunderstand me, attatining this dregee will NOT be easy; I live alone on very little money, have no support (financial or practical) from either parent and in general have really struggled my whole life. However I have chosen a small course, and the people I have met from the department at the Uni so far seem just as odd as me! :o)
It is SO important not to let the past colour the future; don't paint future dreams with the memory of a tarnished past. Otherwise you have already created your self-fulfilling prophecy of failure, and who wants to create THAT for themselves? Not me.

Well I felt more postive about it last semester.....I mean I am studying what I want to study because it intrests me. But a lot has really piled up on me and for whatever reason my motivation is gone and I can hardly concentrate on my classes at all and I am preoccupied with finding some way to survive long term but not getting very far on coming up with any sort of plan. But maybe I will figure something out I might and I might not....

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 1:01 am

Electric_Kite wrote:
DW, yeah. It should be like that, but it isn't. I'm 36 years old and have never been financially independent, because it isn't like that. And I don't expect it will be in my lifetime.

What worked quite perfectly for me was how I got my internship -- I applied, they didn't interview me, they interviewed my instructors about me. And probably thought, "Oh, god, what have we got ourselves into?" when I arrived, and got a happy surprise because I was ripping along with an acceptably low error rate within twelve hours. And by the time it was done they'd forgotten that I'm weird. I wish employers would just call my internship supervisors and ask them.

Actually, I think I do have the interpersonal skills for this work, or even some more intensely social stuff. I was 'lead' on a little project with another student who was behind me in the program and after a few days she, without my asking, started to remark on how pleasant and easy I am to work with and why. It was nice and very useful feedback. But nobody's going to know that about me based on a 30 minute interview. As I understand it, 30 minutes with me just leaves people thinking, "There's something creepy about this guy and I'm not sure what." It's better if I tell them what, but half the time they think I'm joking or something, I guess. Maybe that's why I can't pass an interview. I'm either a creep, or a creepy clown. But really, I do quite well socially if people give me some time. (I imagine that it is sort of like watching a CGI character in a movie. It looks horrible and kind of scary for a while, and then you get used to it.)

Heck, I am not even uncomfortable during interviews. I don't mind them. Meds do wonders for me and I'm pretty comfortable talking with people now. I wonder if this makes me worse, though -- they also make me chatty, and ticcy.

Sometimes the world really does not to be shaken up. The trick is going to be how to make that happen.

If my life wasn't so underwater right now I'd actually really like to see if I could get something done in this area ...

Until then, I hope you find a lucky window of opportunity. I don't really know what else to say or wish, just ... it is frustrating to read on this board what happens with members and work.

Not sure I'm making sense ... super tired and stressed out. Maybe have spoken too strongly in my post earlier in this thread, but I also don't want people to see things as hopeless ... but there is a bridge that someone somewhere has to learn how to build, and then share with those who need it.

Electric_Kite
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 1:04 am

It's okay. You're a mom. It's not normal, in my experience, for moms not to at least try to refute despair.

Feral_Cat
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Sep 2011, 2:59 pm

Jkid-

Your words are so powerful and amazing. I have been struggling to explain why my social failings and troubles with friendships affects my employability as an adult.

I never could explain it. I have so many skills, I can repair computers, hardware and software. I can repair almost anything on a bicycle, I have built them from the ground up from parts I found in the garbage. I have done 90% of my own auto repair, clutches, headgaskets, ball joints, brakes, pulled engines, etc etc. I can do lots of carpentry stuff, framing, drywall, roofs, replace windows, even some electrical and plumbing. I can polish a piece of granite till it looks like a mirror. I am a good gardener. I am very knowledgeable about natural and herbal remedies. When I put my mind to it, people tell me I am a gifted writer. I could never explain why I had so much trouble with jobs and most people think that if I have all this knowledge and don't hold down a job I must be just lazy or not really trying or whatever.

Getting and keeping a job is very much about being part of the social circle as it is being able to do the work at hand. I almost always fail in the social arena, I usually end up on the bottom of the pecking order or completely excluded altogether.

Thank you so much for this post, I still don't know what to do about this problem, but now I have a much better understanding of it. You are a brilliant person.

angiebanana
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Sep 2011, 4:36 pm

I read once about a vineyard in Japan which employs people with autism and even provides housing. Don't remember what it was called or where the article was.

If only there was some organization that could help folks bypass the standard interview process...some sort of employment agency that had connections and contacts with HR people and executives at local businesses...that would show/tell them how what the HR folks see as a problem can be a benefit (such as not sitting around gossiping all day leads to increased productivity). A group or program that would make sure folks on the spectrum don't slip through the cracks.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2011, 2:19 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
The more fast paced the work environment the slower I get due to being overwhelmed
I really don't have very good social skills at all
I cannot stand florecent lights unless I want a very bad headache which will in turn effect my ability to get work done.
I am not always very good at pretending to be happy, people mistake that for me trying to be rude or something.
yes it is quite frusterating.

Yes it is similar for me. I have social problems, and executive functioning problems. I would love to get a menial job but I am not fast enough. :/

I am book smart but I am very unskilled, slow, unfocused, distractible, easily bored, and get overwhelmed by an excess of certain types of sensory data. I wish I could find just one type of industry which I could work in without becoming a nervous wreck eventually.

I also hate working by myself, I get lonely and bored, but i cant work well in a team either, I am either tuned out of the team, or I end up monologuing to the group. God.

Taking a break.

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2011, 10:11 am

Well, my workplace held a meeting with all staff just today to warn of impending staff cuts, where four services will be merged into one to cut costs, though specific staff implications are not yet known. However, I have succeeded well in this job and I have been there for over 5 years which is longer than I've held any other job, partly because I have been in a way well supported because the manager has an understanding of AS, even if it can be misplaced. He is in regular contact with a few other Aspies because they attend the same church as him. Without being lucky enough to have this sort of support Aspies are wide open to social and economic Darwinism, much more so in the current horrible climate. So far every time staff reductions have been made where I work I have lost my job, so I sure hope this time will be different. After all it took me 5 months to find this job, and 9 months to find a previous job, and these were not during recession times either.

alessi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Sep 2011, 6:27 pm

There is some truth in this. Lacking social connections makes it a lot harder. Also the truth is that when you get a job, no matter how hard you work and how good you are at it, if you don't have social connections and friends there, you will be targetted when people are looking for someone to blame for something. They will make an example or a scapegoat of you just because you don't have friends there who will care. It took me a really, really long time to realise this. For many years I thought that ability and hard work was all that mattered in a job. I was very wrong.

gadge
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2011, 6:47 pm

alessi wrote:
There is some truth in this. Lacking social connections makes it a lot harder. Also the truth is that when you get a job, no matter how hard you work and how good you are at it, if you don't have social connections and friends there, you will be targetted when people are looking for someone to blame for something. They will make an example or a scapegoat of you just because you don't have friends there who will care. It took me a really, really long time to realise this. For many years I thought that ability and hard work was all that mattered in a job. I was very wrong.

I have encoutered this as well, I was targeted for my disabilities. For being strange, weird, nervous, sick, unable, inable

I'm still fighting for my legal rights,(ADA) almost 3 yrs after wrongfull termination

Not one person involved did their job correctly or legally,...not one!!
(long story)

EmiliaL
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Sep 2011, 7:11 pm

StevieC wrote:
one thing i suppose you could do is go into a business partnership with someone (possibly an NT)
that way, the NT would do more of the accounting/finding customers side of things ("hey, we need to make x amount this month, buy this etc")
while you handle the more creative side of things thus playing to ur strengths ... just an idea.

It's a very practical idea. While I'm an NT, I come off as quite aloof as well, and if they had "team interviews" when I was working at big companies I wouldn't likely have gotten the jobs I had either. Getting through an interview with just a manager or two is bad enough.

I have a garden design business with a friend who is an extrovert. She does the phoning and the client contact part of the business. I do the accounting and the technical part of the design process. We work together when interviewing clients. I ask the detailed questions to get the info, but mostly my partner handles that work, because she's much better with people.

I have worked with someone with aspies before, as a programmer. Really, there is no reason why someone sitting in a cube can't be left the hell alone to do their job programming. And he was really good at it too. I didn't have any difficulties talking to him about work issues when there was something we working together on. And blessedly, unlike most of the NTs around me, he had as little use for gossip as I did.

I never got a job through social connections, but I also realize how unusual that is. My husband has gotten all of his jobs via people he knows, either as friends or guys he worked with before.

whitelightning777
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Oct 2011, 5:20 am

Its best to have jobs with clear goals, consistant work in a controlled environment, where productivity can be easily measured (numbers do the talking not you) Also, get something where stuff is in writing, for example log sheets for truck drivers or daily reports. We do good writing clearly.

My current boss in safety department loves how I do the log sheets. I actually fill them out the right way... everyday and actually do a pretrip inspection of my vehicle.

I've worked on assembly lines welding and in factories. Currently I'm an armed guard (bank truck) with a dedicated route, same place everyday.

Aside from 2 supervisors that I'm stuck with 4 out of 5 days, it is going well. I'm trying to get a regular laid back partner that is of equal rank to myself.

Heck, at my normal stop, one of the managers says that I'm TOO organized ! !

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2011, 5:49 am

StevieC wrote:
yeah, like on job applications for supermarkets etc: "we are looking for someone who is 100% honest and trustworthy to join our friendly team blah blah blah"

first question they ask is: why do you want the job?
my answer: because i need the money. (im being honest...)

they wanted someone who is "100% honest and trustworthy" yet expect the same person to bullsh*t their way thru an application... wtf?

Ha! This is so true!