Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Tica
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Sep 2011, 6:12 pm

It gets very boring when i am out of work. I am looking forward to having a job again. When i work at least i have more spending money. The only scary thing is the new employees and getting used to the surroundings. Once i am more comfortable i tend to talk a bit but not much. Whenever someone asks what i do for a job i say unemployed. Anyone have employment problems?

Nick9075
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Sep 2011, 6:54 pm

Yes I posted here about it. Even though money per say isn't an issue (I have savings & unemployment at least for now) it is VERY BORING and there is this horrible stigma about being out of work when you have a college degree. I have had several job offers rescinded due to bad credit as well.

Electric_Kite
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2011, 7:21 pm

I am immune to boredom, but the impending homelessness is miserable. So is the constant rejection of job hunting. I escalated my search from one or two applications a week, for jobs that actually make use of my Master's degree, to one or two applications a day for anything at all. And nothing. Nothing at all.

Nick9075
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Sep 2011, 7:28 pm

I am sorry if I came off the wrong way :oops: . I hope you find something soon.

Electric_Kite
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2011, 10:34 pm

I have no idea what wrong way it might have come. So I guess it didn't?

I just hate being unemployed for different reasons than you. I kinda liked it when I was happily married and my spouse didn't mind supporting me. It wasn't boring.

If you're bored, you can do volunteer stuff. I've done some that's good, solitary work -- for museums and libraries, and also for wildlife rehab places.

Nick9075
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Sep 2011, 10:44 pm

I am looking to do a career change, possibly starting over which would be more productive than sending out Resumes, going on interviews (and not getting hired) and just sitting depressed

Is it possible to have a combination of Anxiety, Depression & Aspie symptoms?? Seems like I lack confidence once I am on the job and make too many small errors.

Electric_Kite
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2011, 11:13 pm

The way I understand it, anxiety is an Asperger's symptom, and depression is pretty likely for us, since. Well, we're largely unaccepted and underemployed and otherwise devalued.

How would you start over?

Nick9075
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Sep 2011, 11:23 pm

I don't know :(

I am fortunate enough to have the funds and not have any family responsibilities but I have to really start getting help... I got a Rx for Hydrocodone (pain killer with Codeine) after I had dental work and I felt very relaxed almost like I could connect with people. I know of course that isn't the answer (plus I don't think I can 'fake' more pain to get a third prescription).

Electric_Kite
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2011, 11:44 pm

I dunno. I can get Alprazolam (that's Xanax, if you get the brand-name kind, I get the generic) for panic attacks and it does that. Makes me relaxed and easy and able to cope with people. It's more for emergencies though, it's very addictive and it's not such a good med to take all the time. I take another anti-anxiety med (Citalopram. The brand name for that one is 'Celexa') every day. It helps a lot. Hugely. I used to be so anxious about dealing with people that I could barely bring myself to buy food. I'd panic and become non-verbal if I tried to order something at a counter, or answer a question at a check-out. So I'd skip meals, and I only ever went to the grocery store when I knew that the one check out clerk who never speaks was working. Now I'm pretty relaxed. It's weird, because I'm still anxious, it's just. I don't care that I'm anxious. Does that even make sense? I can just blow off the anxious feeling and do stuff, no problem. It's really been a huge difference for me.

I thought that the way the meds make me so much better at being verbal and dealing with people (and not freezing up when I get the eye-contact zaps) would make it easy for me to get a job now, but it's not turning out that way.

freebird1987
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Sep 2011, 11:22 am

I hate being underemployed.

gadge
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2011, 11:06 pm

I dislike being unemployed.
I hate being wrongfull terminated.
Im discusted how long it takes to be heard in court

going on 35mos.....

LostUndergrad9090
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2011, 11:18 pm

I don't know if its a problem but yes I'm unemployed.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2011, 11:43 pm

I love being unemployed. The free time for my hobbies, time i can spend meditating on simple pleasures, the amount of attention i can put into cooking a good meal. It's great.

I loathe job hunting.

Not having sufficient income is a real drag too.

AJ989
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Sep 2011, 2:58 am

The job market can be pretty hard, but honestly you would be surprised how effective just walking into a place with resume in hand and being bold about it can be, I know that may be extremely difficult for a lot of us here, but it can make a difference,its too easy for an employer just to ignore an online application or whatever it may be,but this puts them on the spot. or there is always things online too that sound quite good,although a little awkward.

Sirius
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Sep 2011, 10:13 pm

I hate being unemployed as well. Combined with ADD & Aspergers, I need a job for money of course but also to give myself something to do with all the energy I have. I am just too restless to be sitting still.

Hopefully, the several applications I have filled out with the State of California will pay off.

blackberryplum
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Oct 2011, 10:57 pm

I agree about the feeling of unemployment. I am not "unemployed". I have a job as a substitute teacher. I like the kids but I don't make very much and some of the rougher schools cause me tons of anxiety. I feel like I want to run at top speed, jump in my car and head homeward.

I am lucky that my husband works but I feel there should be a shared load in marriage. Not me at a job where I only make 40 bucks a week. I want to get up in the morning and sit in traffic looking important like the rest of the world.

When you don't pull in income you do loose some of life's choices. You can't even go buy an ice cream cone to feel better.

Try temping. Working 1 to 2 days a week while waiting for the big job might do your self esteem some good.

Good luck and you are not alone.