Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

XxAsPiEMaSt3RxX
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Oct 2011, 2:36 am

A lot of Aspies are good with computers, Gary Mckinnon for example.
So do you think Aspies like me who know A LOT of stuff about computer programming and I.T would succeed in the Information Technology business?

whatamess
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 8:31 am

yes...and in addition nobody complains if it guys are odd :D

I work in IT but since i am a woman, i am not allowed to be odd 8O

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 5:13 pm

XxAsPiEMaSt3RxX wrote:
So do you think Aspies like me who know A LOT of stuff about computer programming and I.T would succeed in the Information Technology business?

Definitely, we're great at systematizing, attention to detail and memorizing which helps us good at that type of job, employers know this and that's why you need to state it on your CV. Typically, odd and quirky traits are also more accepted in the Information technology industry so you'll find it an easier industry to get into.

On that note, this forum has lots of information about IT training and employment in the UK.
http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 6:29 pm

whatamess wrote:
yes...and in addition nobody complains if it guys are odd :D

I work in IT but since i am a woman, i am not allowed to be odd 8O

I am a woman, in IT and VERY odd but fortunately, my workplace accepts me that way :)

I personally think it depends on the aspie, but in general, it might be a good idea. Computers work predictably, very unlike humans...

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

sliqua-jcooter
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 11:55 pm

XxAsPiEMaSt3RxX wrote:

Adrian Lamo is another one who comes to mind in the category of hackers with AS.

I run a web hosting business, and I've had a lot of people work for me, both with and without AS. Honestly, most of the better employees were diagnosed.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2011, 2:34 am

XxAsPiEMaSt3RxX wrote:

Yes. In fact some people joke about the IT-industry being full of Aspies.

There are some roles in IT which requires social interaction (being an ass-kissing consultant for a large corporation in which there are many people who want you to follow protocol strictly). But then there are also some employers who want people who actually KNOW how to do stuff, and not just be an clown in a suit who don't know how to run setup.exe

What are you good at - and - want to do?

Writing software?
Configuring networks?
Listening to people and helping them with their problems?
Analysing data?
Conceptualising and documenting systems?
Testing and validating?

If you are uncertain, you should speak to a counsellor about potential IT-jobs.

jayessebee
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

31 Oct 2011, 10:12 am

I've been in IT for 12 years now- started out computers were my special interest so it was pretty easy, these days I'm not interested at all but I'm ensconced in a good job so I keep up enough to get by

kahlua
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Oct 2011, 7:46 pm

Im a female in IT - stemming from an obsession with them when I was younger...However since working in IT for 10 years, I've lost interest in playing games, building my own computers etc.

The worst part about working in IT is dealing with the people and their "fitting in" expectations. Fortunately IT people have a reputation for being a bit weird and socially inept, so there seems to be a bit more of an allowance there.

IkeSiCwan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Nov 2011, 5:55 pm

I am an electrotechnician as a skilled worker, but I worked in the IT since 2005, have been a certified multimedia producer since 2003 and worked with computers since 1998.

So, I have veen working as a IT-Systemelectrotechnician and as a IT Administrator and IT-Supporter, as well as a IT-Consultant and IT-Salesmann running my own business between 2005 and 2007.

Right now I am working as a Production Management IT Coordinator, just strated this job today in the same company I had been working as a 1.&2.Level Supporter for 2 month befor.

So, I got the diffecult part, coordinating and manageing Calls from the production departments in german, translating them into english and writing the calls to the different IT-Departments in the UK. It's a large company and the have globalized the IT. The issue is that the servicedesk in UK does not know about the production operations here in Germany and our staff does not know how to word their issues technical right and in a different language. So, I got the job doing this for them. I do speak both languages, know about IT and I am learning how the special production software and hardware is running and what issues can happen and how it should run. I have to keep an eye on the SLAs and step on some toes when some urgent calls and tickets are not getting solved in time.

I hate doing this communication stuff, but it's part of the job. But because I am almost deaf to the social part of the communications, I am good at the more technicial and facts part of it. When I understand how it should work and what is not working, I can better frase and word the call to the It departments.

Is it fun? Only when I get problems and tasks solved. I love when they have not been easy to solve, have been complex and needed a lot of brain work to get to it.

But as well, I have good up-to-date equipment running at home. I hate when it does not do as supposed fail or brake or whatever. A computer has to work and function perfect. If I do not get money for fixing or configuring it, I do not like to pimp and tune it. I know how to assemble a very well running computer. I know how to configure and setup a Server 2008R2 and configure a AD and infrastructure. So, I hate finding structures at work where it could run better but being without the rights to make a difference, to optimize it. But that is the normal world. I am an consulting coordinator and not an administrator. I am glad having a IT job at all being paid fair.

- Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 57 of 200
I am an IT and Aviation Nerd!
- Asperger diagnosis / Autism spectrum diagnosis official 04/2016
- self diagnosis 2008

SoftlyStepping
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Nov 2011, 1:13 am

XxAsPiEMaSt3RxX wrote:

Your average competitor will be a normal type who doesn't like to read, got a passing grade on all their exams, has a few typos on their resume, and has been out of work for a while.

You likely have good chances. The resume gets you the interview. The interview gets you the job. Polish both and you're golden.

MacDragard
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2011, 6:23 pm

This is good to know. I'm hoping to do IT when I join the Air Force. I interned for NASA's IT Security department at Kennedy Space Center in high school.