Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

DamonLucas
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Apr 2012, 8:18 am

Hey everyone!

I just recently found out I have aspergers. I work for the government as an intelligence analyst. I was looking to move to Cali (live in DC) I am an artist on the side. I was wondering what kinds of options I have? I wanted to become a full time artist, I've been saving for sometime now. I also really want to work with fellow Aspies who are trying to figure out how to deal with finding out they are blessed with it. I feel asthough I am in a unique position where I spent my whole life knowing something was different with me, but could never find what it was. Finding out I have aspergers was the best thing I ever felt. At the same time it was the worst thing because I both realized I wasn’t AS unique as I thought (reading others stories is like reading my own) and the trouble id face trying to explain to people the weird way I am, being mean, being blunt is because of a misunderstanding going on in my head. So I find myself fighting a battle I cant win "dude its because I have aspergers I'm sorry" "yeah right, that’s just an excuse". So I've literally studied everything I can about the syndrome so I could help people both understand the beauty of it and understand me. I also did this for my family, my father and brother both have aspergers and are later to know as well. Them being older its hard for them to accept that their anger is really just them basically breaking down and being somewhat weak do to not understanding why things are happening. So I've tried to be able to link every fight and bitterness in their lives to this. Anyways, long story short.. I was wondering if anyone had advice for me? Finding a job or possibly starting a business. Is there any government funding? I'm not looking for money now because I have aspergers! I want to flip this around and find a way to bring light to it... Even I thought aspergers was something worse.. I want to show people how beautiful and blessed they are to have such a gift, either through painting.. or helping kids find their "thing" which could be art, music or anything!

Sorry for the rant... Hope to hear something from all of you.

Thank you,
Damon

Gita
Raven
Raven

27 Apr 2012, 11:35 am

This is funny. I just posted about being an artist as well. I have had the misfortune to be tagged as a lower class worker (factory jobs and so on) even with 7 years of university. I just do not have the spine to have a better job. Frankly, I am too old at this point to really try to start over. The last time I tried I got screwed. Anyway, I am going into work/art again-- even backing down from better paying jobs in order to pursue my real interest-- bronze sculpture.

What I know about becoming a full time artist... I was a full time artist from the age of 22 to the age of 30. I worked for and with another artist who was reasonably decent at getting contracts to create large sculpture. I am not that good with such things, but did take some grant writing and proposal type classes, and will be making an honest effort to get back into the swing of things.

Unless you have a large customer base, or have huge contracts (which will whoop your butt if you do everything by hand) you are not looking at enough to quit your job over.

Could it be a possibility that you might go part time or job share with someone equally skilled? That way, you will be bringing in cash to live off of and still free your time up.

Lets swap art picts. I'd love to see. My art blog is at www.crlarkinart.com

DamonLucas
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Apr 2012, 12:19 pm

Hey man! crazy haha.

I looked at your work... You are amazing! I've been wanting to get into sculpting so bad! What do you recommend for supplies? I really want to do a bust of Pale man from Pans labyrinth. What kind of clay should i use? Or is there something better? You can see on my blog a mask i made for my brother. I never tried anything like this before so it was all very new to me. The mask is literally just paper towel, liquid latex and some make up. We thought it would just fall apart if he took it off, it didn't so i made a full face mask. Think it turned out pretty well for my first time.

You can see some of my paintings on my blog. I'm going on roughly a year now of painting, i never knew i could paint and never really tried it! Now its my obsession haha. The quality of the pictures on this blog are horrible, so keep that in mind.

I'd love to keep in touch man! I can use some of your background for sure!

Cheers!

http://damonfarkas.blogspot.com/

Gita
Raven
Raven

27 Apr 2012, 5:25 pm

Your quite talented! Which ones were copies of favorite painter, and which were your own paintings?

I'm doing a series of swimming people now (just started it a few days ago).

For a bust you can use any kind of clay, but all depends on whether you plan on doing mold making to cast as well. I devote quite a lot of my blog to mold making, rather than sculpting.

I was taught sculpting and did an apprenticeship. Today, there are decent tutorials on how to sculpt. If you want to do figurative or animal, you need to know anatomy-- so books on bones and muscles are important. You actually have to study the anatomy as though you are going to nursing school till you get it down. Then comes the drawing.

The armature is the hardest part for me. It's the inner collection of wires, and "junk" that the clay sits on. It is hard because it needs to be posed exactly before the clay layer goes on.

Gosh! I could talk about this for hours. (Typical).

DamonLucas
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Apr 2012, 12:43 pm

Do you have a Kiln?

I want to work in clay but i don't have a Kiln and i don't know how reliable other alternatives are.

I've always had an obsession with the thought of working with carpentry... I think i might get in to carving but in a more artsy style.

I've been working with alot of water paintings! the effect you can give when mimicking liquid makes for more attention from people. My "liquid black" painting was a first in this area of fluid. It was also one of the easiest paintings i did haha.

For the most part my paintings are painted from photos.. I don't copy artist work unless i'm learning techniques. Everything i've learned has all been from watching speed paintings on youtube haha. I'm still learning, and i don't know if painting is my thing yet.. or maybe i just havent found my style. I just know i love working with my hands.. I feel like sculpting will be a very big thing to me... just haven't tried it yet.