Page 3 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2012, 5:35 pm

thewhitrbbit wrote:
starkid wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
I never understood either why would someone not want to work because you make more money when you work than what SS gives you.

Some people are willing to live with less in exchange for their freedom from work or full-time work. Some people have no interest in expensive items (video games, TVs, eating out, etc.), so the lack of money for these things doesn't even bother them.

This is a disgusting and offensive statement.

You don't get to take public assistance because you don't want to work. Sickening.

I knew someone would read into my statement something that isn't there. On a forum for people who are known to express themselves literally, no less. I didn't condone using public assistance because one doesn't want to work. The person I quoted didn't know something, so I gave some examples. That doesn't imply that I condone anything.

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2012, 7:08 pm

thewhitrbbit wrote:
starkid wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
I never understood either why would someone not want to work because you make more money when you work than what SS gives you.

Some people are willing to live with less in exchange for their freedom from work or full-time work. Some people have no interest in expensive items (video games, TVs, eating out, etc.), so the lack of money for these things doesn't even bother them.

You don't get to take public assistance because you don't want to work. Sickening.
Yet we feed people in jail who commit crimes. So giving food to murders is okay but giving food to people who don't want to work is not okay? Or is wanting not to work worse than killing people?

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2012, 8:42 pm

ianorlin wrote:
thewhitrbbit wrote:
starkid wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Yet we feed people in jail who commit crimes. So giving food to murders is okay but giving food to people who don't want to work is not okay? Or is wanting not to work worse than killing people?

If I had my way, life in prison would be a lot harder than it is.

steviewonderau
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Nov 2012, 3:28 am

Between 5 to 10% of the working aged population are officially counted as unemployed and help keep both wages and inflation under control. IT is ironical that the people on welfare who barely survive are demonised by politicians, the media and the public.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 3:37 am

Most people on assistance are on it because they can't work. Few people want to live on barely anything just to get out of work. Everyone I've known on assistance lived in dire poverty and were just glad to have it to not be homeless and starving.