What is your job or what job would you like?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2011
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,735

30 Jun 2012, 2:08 pm

Just wondering what your job is... and if you don't have a job, what would you like it to be?
Personally I don't have a job but I do have an aspiration at the moment in working as a Radio Presenter/DJ.
I do know of someone with special needs who does so I know it could be possible as long as they don't just ignore my request.


_________________
www.wrongplanet.net/postp5013377.html&h ... t=#5013377

Sora: "My friends are my power."

Ventus: "I'm asking you as a friend. Just... put an end to me."


Sylph
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 22 Jun 2012
Gender: Female
Posts: 48
Location: US

30 Jun 2012, 2:27 pm

My dad made me work at his office as an manager assistant less than half a year ago to keep me away from my obsessions. I can't do much at work though, besides watching over my senile grandmother and playing computer games office work itself isn't for me. I have no organization, can't keep up with his orders, telephone calls, and the noise. Dad is a subcontractor, specifically a fabricator for stone slabs I can walk down the street and still hear his saws cutting through stone.



Sharkgirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 18 Aug 2011
Age: 45
Gender: Female
Posts: 335
Location: Under The Sea

30 Jun 2012, 2:33 pm

I am a marine animal keeper and tour guide at an aquarium so I get to talk about and play with sharks and other marine creatures all day. In my spare time I volunteer for a marine conservation group. I am surrounded by scientific people so I get along with my workmates. I love my job so much.


_________________
Never, Never, Never Give Up


Zinia
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 22 Sep 2011
Age: 37
Gender: Female
Posts: 344

30 Jun 2012, 2:51 pm

I work in a door to door job that is sort of like a salesman job.

My ideal job would be in wildlife biology, archeology, or paleontology.

However, I majored in English so I'm considering going back to get my Masters, to be a collage teacher.

You might wonder why I majored in English if I am attracted to those other fields, and that is because I was trying to finish school quickly and would have had to take extra math classes. I missed a lot of high-school math because I dropped out of high school to avoid bullies. I was put on ritalin, but of course, ritalin didn't really do anything--and it certainly didn't make the bullies disappear. I'm happily able to deal with *******s now, but it's a bit too late for high school. I've always been good at art and writing, so I figured I'd give English a try, and I'm glad I did because it's an excellent source of education. We had to read Darwin along with Shakespeare--and learn to think analytically.


I think my ideal job right now would be as a novel writer, because then I could still work alone, be free to do all the research I want for the stories. So I could write about biology and paleontology in fiction, without actually being a biologist.



Zinia
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 22 Sep 2011
Age: 37
Gender: Female
Posts: 344

30 Jun 2012, 2:55 pm

PastFixations wrote:
Just wondering what your job is... and if you don't have a job, what would you like it to be?
Personally I don't have a job but I do have an aspiration at the moment in working as a Radio Presenter/DJ.
I do know of someone with special needs who does so I know it could be possible as long as they don't just ignore my request.


We have really funny DJs here, for our college radio station. It specializes in experimental and undiscovered music. They're constantly going off on tangents, and they sound nothing like the top 40 Djs on other radio stations. Yesterday, one was going on about someone who lost his bunny, and how she would crack if anyone stole her bunny, and go around stabbing people and screaming "WHY????" I think there's room for fresh voices in radio.



hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Sep 2011
Age: 45
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,301

30 Jun 2012, 3:09 pm

My ideal job would be something I can do at home with little or no contact with other people. I'd like to make things and sell them but I haven't been able to figure out what I could make yet.



PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2011
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,735

30 Jun 2012, 3:22 pm

Sounds like my kind of crowd Zinia, lol.


_________________
www.wrongplanet.net/postp5013377.html&h ... t=#5013377

Sora: "My friends are my power."

Ventus: "I'm asking you as a friend. Just... put an end to me."


CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Jun 2008
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,171
Location: The Netherlands

30 Jun 2012, 3:24 pm

Zinia wrote:
I work in a door to door job that is sort of like a salesman job.

My ideal job would be in wildlife biology, archeology, or paleontology.

However, I majored in English so I'm considering going back to get my Masters, to be a collage teacher.

You might wonder why I majored in English if I am attracted to those other fields, and that is because I was trying to finish school quickly and would have had to take extra math classes. I missed a lot of high-school math because I dropped out of high school to avoid bullies. I was put on ritalin, but of course, ritalin didn't really do anything--and it certainly didn't make the bullies disappear. I'm happily able to deal with *******s now, but it's a bit too late for high school. I've always been good at art and writing, so I figured I'd give English a try, and I'm glad I did because it's an excellent source of education. We had to read Darwin along with Shakespeare--and learn to think analytically.


I think my ideal job right now would be as a novel writer, because then I could still work alone, be free to do all the research I want for the stories. So I could write about biology and paleontology in fiction, without actually being a biologist.


Wow, I hope that works out for you. I can relate, although I have not yet had the opportunity to go to university at all. Currently, I am a cleaner. I have struck the bad luck that I do not get along with my colleagues AT ALL. I'm not bad at my job, but not particularly good either.

I'm going to apply for other work, perhaps cashier in a small store (food or books). Eventually, I want to return to school, though.


_________________
clarity of thought before rashness of action


Zinia
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 22 Sep 2011
Age: 37
Gender: Female
Posts: 344

30 Jun 2012, 3:51 pm

CyclopsSummers wrote:
Zinia wrote:
I work in a door to door job that is sort of like a salesman job.

My ideal job would be in wildlife biology, archeology, or paleontology.

However, I majored in English so I'm considering going back to get my Masters, to be a collage teacher.

You might wonder why I majored in English if I am attracted to those other fields, and that is because I was trying to finish school quickly and would have had to take extra math classes. I missed a lot of high-school math because I dropped out of high school to avoid bullies. I was put on ritalin, but of course, ritalin didn't really do anything--and it certainly didn't make the bullies disappear. I'm happily able to deal with *******s now, but it's a bit too late for high school. I've always been good at art and writing, so I figured I'd give English a try, and I'm glad I did because it's an excellent source of education. We had to read Darwin along with Shakespeare--and learn to think analytically.


I think my ideal job right now would be as a novel writer, because then I could still work alone, be free to do all the research I want for the stories. So I could write about biology and paleontology in fiction, without actually being a biologist.


Wow, I hope that works out for you. I can relate, although I have not yet had the opportunity to go to university at all. Currently, I am a cleaner. I have struck the bad luck that I do not get along with my colleagues AT ALL. I'm not bad at my job, but not particularly good either.

I'm going to apply for other work, perhaps cashier in a small store (food or books). Eventually, I want to return to school, though.


Thanks. If you want to return to school, then I think you will be able to. I went back after dropping out of school (and I had started that in 8th grade--sitting in the bathroom, alone, during classes, to avoid the bullies in that class.) So I actually missed a lot of education.

Also, my friend did really poorly in school, but then he decided to go back to college, and the college found out he had a learning disability for short term memory or something--so he was able to get help succeeding on college.

And then, when I was at the university, one of my friends was a disabled single mother who had to use a wheel chair. Her disability affected her ability to speak and pay attention. And she's going to be graduating this year.

I've also been tutored by a deaf girl who was attending the college (having to use a translator and another person to take her notes).

So, I really feel like if anyone wants to go to college, they should. Because it can be challenging, but it's also very rewarding and possible.



Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 May 2007
Age: 58
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,441
Location: Hiding in plain sight

30 Jun 2012, 4:53 pm

I am an engineer and love it. I dream up things and watch other people bring my dreams to life, People rarely care that I am a little strange because my ideas make the clients happy and gives paychecks to the workers. My workers usually pick a translator / handler to talk to me, but they all like me.


_________________
When I lose an obsession, I feel lost until I find another.
Aspie score: 155 of 200
NT score: 49 of 200


Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 May 2010
Age: 56
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,495
Location: PA

30 Jun 2012, 5:06 pm

I work fixing electronics and it is what I wanted and love to do.


_________________
No Pain.-No Pain!! !!


PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2011
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,735

30 Jun 2012, 6:07 pm

Radiofixr wrote:
I work fixing electronics and it is what I wanted and love to do.

As your profile says you work in radio. I take it you are an engineer or technician who works on a radio station?


_________________
www.wrongplanet.net/postp5013377.html&h ... t=#5013377

Sora: "My friends are my power."

Ventus: "I'm asking you as a friend. Just... put an end to me."


VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2008
Age: 44
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,691

30 Jun 2012, 6:14 pm

Right now I'm an unemployed college student in a computer course.

However, I was really close to trying a technical school for robotics. I think I would still find that interesting as a job.



Scottinoz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 25 Jun 2012
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 249
Location: Australia

30 Jun 2012, 9:26 pm

I want to contol drones but don't know where to sign up for the testing.



351Boss
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2011
Age: 46
Gender: Female
Posts: 78

30 Jun 2012, 9:55 pm

I thank my lucky stars every day ... I'm self employed and work from home, playing with horses all day. When I'm not doing that practice being an Author.



DannyDarkHorse
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jun 2012
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 3

01 Jul 2012, 9:32 am

I'm currently working for a Taxi Company, fixing the radios and equipment, as well as showing new drivers how to use the system.

This involves a lot of talking to people, which is my Achilles Heel. I sometimes blame my communication problems on the fact that most drivers are foreign, and therefore I have some trouble understanding their accents.

To make up for my conversational shortcomings, I go above and beyond my job role to make sure the Managers know that I am a worthy asset to the company. For example, I have taken initiative and produced a booklet to hand to new drivers, explaining how to use the sytem, the rules and regulations etc. and also suggested/designed a new Uniform which would make the company look more proffessional. Both ideas were lapped up and put into effect straightaway, and my Bosses were very happy with my work, giving me more responsibilities within the company.

The downside to this is that, due to what I can only imagine is jealousy from my peers, I am now even more excluded from the working group.

All in all, I like my job - I just hope I can learn to fit in socially with my peers. Also, I will soon be tasked with taking regular customer calls, which I am dreading to be honest.

Hopefully one day I will have my lucky break and become a major film director! Maybe I could make a film/documentary to raise awareness about Aspergers? Hmm.. watch this space ;)