Did my first job assessment today

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

BlueIris24
Raven
Raven

07 Feb 2019, 6:40 pm

I did my first job assessment as a dairy shelf stocker at Weis. How it works is my job coach will assess me as I'm doing the job and correct me when needed. She said I did good, but I can't help but feel like she's only saying that because it's my first job assessment ever and I did tell her I was nervous. I also can't help but feel embarrassed that I'm almost 19 and never had an actual job before, which I know is silly because I'm far from the only one but still.

She also tried to give me suggestions on what jobs I could pursue and asked me if I would like interacting with customers. This confused me a bit because I did make it clear with her our first meeting that I wouldn't want a job where dealing with customers would be a huge part of it.

Have any of you also had to do job assessments? How did they go? Did you like them? I'm doing them through my state's vocational rehabilitation agency.

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2019, 5:03 am

BlueIris24 wrote:
I also can't help but feel embarrassed that I'm almost 19 and never had an actual job before, which I know is silly because I'm far from the only one but still.

WTF. Screw that. You are nearly a kid. There is no reason to feel ashamed for not yet having a job before. As long as you are trying to get one anything is fine.

BlueIris24 wrote:
She said I did good, but I can't help but feel like she's only saying that because it's my first job assessment ever and I did tell her I was nervous.

She reminds herself. Nobody is perfect at the beginning. Everybody has to learn a lot in first step.

BlueIris24 wrote:
She also tried to give me suggestions on what jobs I could pursue and asked me if I would like interacting with customers. This confused me a bit because I did make it clear with her our first meeting that I wouldn't want a job where dealing with customers would be a huge part of it.

What kind of interaction would it be? What is your biggest fear with that? Interacting with customers isn't always easy. But it's also a chance and makes you more important for your company once you are not as bad at it. It's always easier to find and replace unskilled labourers and people who don't interact with customers then the one who is the 'face of the company' towards the customers.

BlueIris24 wrote:
Have any of you also had to do job assessments? How did they go? Did you like them? I'm doing them through my state's vocational rehabilitation agency.

Long long ago. Nobody really likes them. They are easier if you are able to read your opposite. But as lower your self-esteem is as less you get paid afterwards.

BlueIris24
Raven
Raven

08 Feb 2019, 5:11 pm

quite an extreme wrote:
BlueIris24 wrote:
I also can't help but feel embarrassed that I'm almost 19 and never had an actual job before, which I know is silly because I'm far from the only one but still.

WTF. Screw that. You are nearly a kid. There is no reason to feel ashamed for not yet having a job before. As long as you are trying to get one anything is fine.

BlueIris24 wrote:
She said I did good, but I can't help but feel like she's only saying that because it's my first job assessment ever and I did tell her I was nervous.

She reminds herself. Nobody is perfect at the beginning. Everybody has to learn a lot in first step.

BlueIris24 wrote:

What kind of interaction would it be? What is your biggest fear with that? Interacting with customers isn't always easy. But it's also a chance and makes you more important for your company once you are not as bad at it. It's always easier to find and replace unskilled labourers and people who don't interact with customers then the one who is the 'face of the company' towards the customers.

BlueIris24 wrote:

Long long ago. Nobody really likes them. They are easier if you are able to read your opposite. But as lower your self-esteem is as less you get paid afterwards.

I wouldn't mind a job where I'd have to talk to a couple customers, but I think I would hate a job that's revolved around customer service. Talking to a ton people is draining, and when I'm drained I get super irritated and anxious. I wouldn't do good in a job like that. Not to mention that customers can be entitled asshats.

I would prefer if my first job was something that didn't require a great deal of interaction, like stocking shelves or cleaning. I know that it's impossible to find a job that requires no socialization, but I want to find a happy medium. I don't think doing jobs that require me to be a social butterfly would be good.

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2019, 7:23 pm

BlueIris24 wrote:
I wouldn't mind a job where I'd have to talk to a couple customers, but I think I would hate a job that's revolved around customer service. Talking to a ton people is draining, and when I'm drained I get super irritated and anxious.

Sounds not really good. In this case I do understand that you refuse a lot of customer interaction.

BlueIris24 wrote:
Not to mention that customers can be entitled asshats.

That's right. Also NTs have trouble with this kind of people.