Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2013, 6:43 am

I would love to have a permanent vacuuming job. Preferably at night. :D

Aperture
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2013, 9:08 am

Writer - probably fiction, but maybe also some non-fiction and poetry.

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2013, 3:19 pm

Fnord wrote:
Starship Captain

LOL omg that's hilarious! You made my day Fnord!
I hope you don't get me wrong and that you take offense at that. It's a dream afterall, and a damned cool one too.

Professor of some sort, dealing with either psychology or neuroscience. There's too much interesting stuff in those fields for me to pin down what exactly I'd want to study, but the most recent novel stuff I've heard love to get into (that requires a lot of mathematical background that I just don't have and that I suspect I'd struggle with) would be associating neuronal patterns of firing with cognition. I went to a talk by Emery Brown 5 or so years ago, and he'd done research where with a bunch of magic number-waving he quite successfully reproduced where a mouse moved by using a handful of electrodes inserted into the mouse's hippocampus. Real science fiction stuff. The ability to read the mind is absolutely necessary for true VR. Lemme be a part of making the Matrix!

And speaking of dreams, I would love to participate in this http://applicants.mars-one.com/. Be a space pioneer, colonize somewhere besides earth. Alas I have mental health issues, am too short, and have a physical deformity all of which exclude me before any other numerous reasons I wouldn't be accepted. Le sigh. Prolly won't happen anyways.

Poor motivation

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2013, 3:36 pm

But of course I'd hate dealing with funding and whiny students who would just be there to get a degree and not actually want to learn.

Sing in a choir professionally is another dream job, albeit I'm not sure anyone who does that makes enough money.

Poor motivation

Moviefan2k4
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2013, 10:45 pm

GoonSquad wrote:
^^^ Wow man, that's pretty scary. If you have never worked, you won't qualify for SSDI. You might qualify for SSI, but I don't think that would give you enough to live on.
I've been on SSI since 2004. I've heard of SSDI, but I'm not sure of the differences.

Quote:
If you cannot work, you should really look into SSI. As I said, it doesn't pay much, but it is better than nothing. I'd say look into some state programs too, but I'm sure you won't find much help in Texas. Sorry.
My current SSI amount is enough for me to pay about a third of my Mom's rent, tithe, my Internet, and my cell phone, plus about $200 left afterward.

AGhostWriter
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Oct 2013, 12:00 am

Dream jobs in order of impossibility.
Most impossible: Independently wealthy superhero
Fully Impossible: Actor and/or Voice Actor
Probably Impossible: In some important creative position at DC comics
Very, very Improbable: Best selling author and/or successful screenwriter
Nearly as Improbable: Comic book writer (for Marvel and/or DC) able to make enough to survive
Probably too late at this point/would not end well at all: Doctor
As it is I'm currently studying to be a high school English teacher, but I'm polishing a novel I've written and I'm weighing a decision to transfer schools to begin studying screenwriting, so maybe one of my dream jobs might* come to be.

*might in this case taken to mean: 'will almost certainly never, under any circumstances'

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2013, 7:56 am

Moviefan2k4 wrote:
GoonSquad wrote:
^^^ Wow man, that's pretty scary. If you have never worked, you won't qualify for SSDI. You might qualify for SSI, but I don't think that would give you enough to live on.
I've been on SSI since 2004. I've heard of SSDI, but I'm not sure of the differences.

Quote:
If you cannot work, you should really look into SSI. As I said, it doesn't pay much, but it is better than nothing. I'd say look into some state programs too, but I'm sure you won't find much help in Texas. Sorry.
My current SSI amount is enough for me to pay about a third of my Mom's rent, tithe, my Internet, and my cell phone, plus about $200 left afterward.

At a practical level there's not a whole lot of difference between SSI & SSDI.

Supplemental Security Income (SSI), is for disabled children and/or adults with limited income and resources. The Federal limit on benefits is around $700/month. Some states also contribute additional funds to recipients.

Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI), is specifically for workers who become disabled before retirement age. Benefits are based on what the worker paid into the system via social security payroll taxes. I think you have to work (and pay into the system) for something like 20 quarters to qualify for benefits.

The really important difference is that SSI is apt to be seen as 'welfare' by people of a certain political persuasion, and therefore more vulnerable to budget cuts...

Also, people who qualify for SSDI can get SSI as well if they can demonstrate need.

AceofKnaves
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Oct 2013, 1:48 pm

Writer; Writing is probably the only thing that keeps me alive and going. I feel soulless without writing.

I also want to get into

Environmental Conservation

My dream jobs I'll never get them

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2013, 4:15 pm

Getting paid to be a firefighter (not a volunteer) but not having to work when it's 100 degrees.

aerolight
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Nov 2013, 4:44 pm

Professor of marine biology at a prestigious university!
Whether or not this is possible for me remains to be seen.

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2013, 9:52 pm

None of these would seem like anyone elses dream jobs, but I feel that I have obtained most of mine. as a young girl I was horribly bullied, was unofficialy voted the "weirdest looking chick" and 'the girl I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole" I would fantasize what it would be like to be a girl that men were drawn to other than to ridicule. it was only a few months after the vote that I was working as a Playboy bunny at a playboy club [yes, it's been over 40 years, but I still remember the 'bunny dip"] Suddenly all sorts of celebrities were asking me out, Cher was "big-sistering" me and I hung out a little with Barbie Benton [Hefners gf at the time] The 3 and a half weeks I worked there did more for my self esteem than anything else ever did in my life. [the only thing I ever stole in all my life was my bunny suit. ]

I used to cook, bake and cater the food for weddings, funerals, family reunions, etc. and I lOVED it. it was like magic that I was able to build fantasies and get paid for it.

I did daycare for creatively wired kids. I PASSIONATELY loved it. My old daycare kids are CONSTANTLY looking for me and telling me how much my daycare meant to them.

For awhile I was writing fiction for young adults, but the first side effect from my chemo seems to have been the annialation of all but 3 or so of my brain cells, but I loved doing that.

Now I create jewelry , which I lOVE, sell avon [determined to earn a cruise within 3 years] and when I am feeling a little more energy I want to start teaching bellydance to senior citizens in a senior center.

If my dream jobs included computers, or brain surgery, or being a rocket scientist, I would've been in a world full of hurt and dissapointment.luckily for me, that was never the case.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2013, 3:11 pm

vickygleitz wrote:
None of these would seem like anyone elses dream jobs, but I feel that I have obtained most of mine. as a young girl I was horribly bullied, was unofficialy voted the "weirdest looking chick" and 'the girl I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole" I would fantasize what it would be like to be a girl that men were drawn to other than to ridicule. it was only a few months after the vote that I was working as a Playboy bunny at a playboy club [yes, it's been over 40 years, but I still remember the 'bunny dip"] Suddenly all sorts of celebrities were asking me out, Cher was "big-sistering" me and I hung out a little with Barbie Benton [Hefners gf at the time] The 3 and a half weeks I worked there did more for my self esteem than anything else ever did in my life. [the only thing I ever stole in all my life was my bunny suit. ]

I used to cook, bake and cater the food for weddings, funerals, family reunions, etc. and I lOVED it. it was like magic that I was able to build fantasies and get paid for it.

I did daycare for creatively wired kids. I PASSIONATELY loved it. My old daycare kids are CONSTANTLY looking for me and telling me how much my daycare meant to them.

For awhile I was writing fiction for young adults, but the first side effect from my chemo seems to have been the annialation of all but 3 or so of my brain cells, but I loved doing that.

Now I create jewelry , which I lOVE, sell avon [determined to earn a cruise within 3 years] and when I am feeling a little more energy I want to start teaching bellydance to senior citizens in a senior center.

If my dream jobs included computers, or brain surgery, or being a rocket scientist, I would've been in a world full of hurt and dissapointment.luckily for me, that was never the case.

That is quite an interesting history

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

carthago
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Nov 2013, 6:57 pm

Ludicrous:
Dictator of North Korea

Unobtainable:
Investment banker

Improbable:
Corporate attorney
M&A consultant

Possible:
Financial regulator
IRS agent
University professor

Fallbacks:
Staff accountant
Corporate financial analyst

DizzleJWizzle
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Nov 2013, 4:29 am

my dream job would be to actually get away from my sheeple family

i guess acting...

saving up for the equipment needed

i good at acting like a nt in front of a camera..
and it's a whole lot harder for the boss to fire me!

youtube + videocamera
youtube + ps3
youtube + xbox
they all have something to do with actually leaving both my houses
they're both hell holes in my opinion!! !

dad's
- food locked down (drinks and fluids)
- freezer food isn't locked down.
- doesn't shop often (for food)
- i don't mind the boxes and mess (mostly clutter of boxes, movies and furniture)
- i sleep in the living room(lazy father won't paint room)
- i can get cheaper internet, then i can get at my mom's. later i can upgrade to start communications(25/10 mbits or 35/10mbits) or teksavvy (current isp is vmedia)
(unfinished bedroom, can be used as a greenscreen(chromakey) studio) - privacy

mom's
-computer restrictions
-step dad is a workaholic and doesn't think about his actions against me!
- not a total mess, but still disorganized in my opinion
- i have a bedroom
- i don't live here anymore because of the fact that i can't produce youtube videos...
- also my mother has slow internet (25/2 mbit connection from rogers) and i require atleast 10mbits of upload
- one reason for leaving was in the past i had data caps at that house!! !

all i can tell is that my location is canada... not my address
another fact is that the label of autism and aspergers gets you nowhere in this world... stuck on odsp (welfare money)... but planning to save cash to make the switch to actual reliable income from the internet.. it will take time... as usual.
:x :idea: :!: :twisted: :!: :evil:

my brothers seem to be flip-flops at each home!!

having a separated family is a b**** and you got to choose the side your on!
but hey i can get out of difficult times very easy...
but the main problem is money
and they both want me out quick... but i can't do that right now!!
see i understand expenses and income
and odsp is my only income... 100% right now
and i will move to youtube later... and that will be my future income
i'm not renting a place to live.
i got a loud sound system for my ps3 and it will create problems in a multi unit apartment...
a basement would be a good idea...

i get they call me sick but they work at least 10 hours to pay the damn bills.. (dad, mom and stepdad) (step dad and mom - one house / other house - dad)
and keep me up at night (dad) - television is the next room in front of me...

slickbacksteve
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Nov 2013, 9:25 am

my dream job? a musician. whats not to love about touring the world and doing what you love to do and playing in front of a ton of people that look up to you?

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2013, 4:07 pm

Any of the following:

-Journalism

-Film industry as a screenwriter and/or voice actor

-Novelist

-Photographer

-Graphic novelist

-Magazine columnist