Not getting hired, or holding down a job is hard... but...

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

airbikecop
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Dec 2006, 12:05 am

I mean, there's not really any jobs in my area, and within the state that I can make a living!

I'm a human services major, and when I get my 2 year degree, I can't do s**t with it, and the places where I can get hired, the wages aren't even enough to live on. You can't live on $7-9 an hour. I know that rent in my area is $1000+ a month, because of the damn military base near by. And the landlords will take advantge of that housing allowence. f*****g BS....

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2006, 8:47 am

I used to live in Upstate New York (Buffalo NY) and I will tell you what most people have told anyone 20 - 35 living in that part of the state. "Get the f**k out of there". Look at places like Charlotte NC where many upstate New York residents have resettled.

You probably got the degree because due to all the taxes and business regulation climate, the only industry left with at least some staying power are the union backed public servant jobs. The problem with those is that it has gotten to be a "who you know" game to get those jobs rather than "what you know" and even with all of the disability quotas, an aspie does not stand a chance in that environment.

Trust me, you would not be the only one leaving upstate New York either. Since the 90s, the US census department estimates that upstate New York lost 33% of its population in the 20 - 35 year old age range.

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate