Would a summer camp be a good job for someone with Aspergers

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

i_hate_aspergers
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Aug 2012, 11:41 pm

i have aspergers, i want to work at Kamp Kanakuk next summer. i went to kanakuk before and i really loved it. it does require leadership and interpersonal skills to actually work there though.

here is a video of it, to get an idea of what goes on at kanakuk.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhwTN08L ... ure=fvwrel

although the video showed mostly athletic stuff going on the camp, kanakuk is a religious based camp (christian).
im just concerned i may not have the social skills to be a good leader there.

Cherry_Blossom
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Aug 2012, 3:12 pm

I'm sorry, I just can't get past the name. Do you really hate Asperger's? That's a sad philosophy.

I think a Christian camp should embrace you as you are, Asperger's and all.

deltafunction
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2012, 3:56 pm

I have worked at summer camp before, though not as a counselor. I think I would be just as able to be a counselor, though, but I am also as a person comfortable being outgoing and taking on a leadership role. The worst part is that sometimes I didn't fit in socially with the rest of the counselors, but as long as I am doing my job and being polite, it will not affect my performance. It is more important how you interact with the children than with your peers.

So my short answer would be, yes, people with Asperger's can work at a camp, but it all depends on your personality. Some NTs as well as aspies would hate being in a leadership role, but if you feel comfortable in that kind of position, then go for it.

OverEducated
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Oct 2012, 11:45 pm

I worked at a summer camp as a junior counselor for three summers, it went well. I was 16, 17, and 18 years old. The kids liked me, and I took direction from adults who supervised me. One summer I had a little problem getting along (reading other people, getting along) but it didn't escalate or cost me my job. I was hired as a senior counselor last summer (I'm now 37) and it was terrible. The teens who worked under me were not easy to work with and I was given an age group I specifically asked to not get. I got fired for responding inappropriately to people. So, be careful. You need to be working in the right environment with the right people, or it could be a mess.

ictus75
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Oct 2012, 11:51 am

Maybe as a groundskeeper

mljt
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Oct 2012, 3:33 pm

I'm working at one next year.

Obviously the ideal counsellor will have various skills, but look at the things you can offer, if interpersonal skills aren't your strong point. I've focussed on my passion for teaching my chosen sport. My experience with children (I was told by the interviewer) also shines through.

It will be really, really difficult for me but I think it's going to be a life changing experience.

When are you thinking of going? 2013?

steviewonderau
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Oct 2012, 11:28 pm

Working at a summer camp is hard enough for being without a disability like Aspergers. Working with children and teenagers is high risk for Aspergers because they may be set up or accused of inappropriate behavior.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2012, 9:24 am

I hate it too.

It's really a crap shoot on rather or not it would be a success. There's def a lot of interpersonal interaction and socializing your responsible for, but your also in a leadership position so people have to listen to you, but you also have to know how to lead.

MusicMama
Raven
Raven

15 Oct 2012, 10:12 am

I worked at a Christian conference center for a summer when I was in college. It didn't turn out very well... I was a cook, not a counselor, but I still had to deal with people a lot and I had no idea that I had AS at that point either so I'd be going along my merry way and things would just go wrong... I don't know what happened to muck up the social situations half the time, even looking back, but maybe knowing that I was different would have helped and I probably would've been fine.

Sorry, my response doesn't sound very helpful to me now that I'm reading back over it since you *are* more aware of your limitations and the situations aren't extremely comparable, but maybe it'll be helpful somehow.

Best wishes to you.

blawdgharm
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Feb 2013, 8:10 pm

I would have to say to steer clear of summer camps. I went to a camp as a kid and tried working there as an adult. I worked there for two months and they ended up firing me, banning me from ever going back (and if I do They will call the police) and not paying me for the two months I worked. this camp was meant for kids with AS. So I do not recommend it

awesomeautist
Raven
Raven

28 Feb 2013, 9:09 am

blawdgharm wrote:
I would have to say to steer clear of summer camps. I went to a camp as a kid and tried working there as an adult. I worked there for two months and they ended up firing me, banning me from ever going back (and if I do They will call the police) and not paying me for the two months I worked. this camp was meant for kids with AS. So I do not recommend it

What did you do wrong?

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

28 Feb 2013, 5:52 pm

i_hate_aspergers wrote:
i have aspergers, i want to work at Kamp Kanakuk next summer. i went to kanakuk before and i really loved it. it does require leadership and interpersonal skills to actually work there though.

here is a video of it, to get an idea of what goes on at kanakuk.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhwTN08L ... ure=fvwrel

although the video showed mostly athletic stuff going on the camp, kanakuk is a religious based camp (christian).
im just concerned i may not have the social skills to be a good leader there.

I was a counselor at a camp when I was 18, and I nearly starved to death (couldn't eat) and my health fell apart because of anxiety. I was 6'2 and 145 pounds at one point. On the bright side, I did somehow get invited back. But no way I'd do it again.

And no, it didn't build "confidence" or make me NT. I was in just as bad a shape, functionally, when I finished as when I started.

Quote:
deltafunction wrote:
The worst part is that sometimes I didn't fit in socially with the rest of the counselors, but as long as I am doing my job and being polite, it will not affect my performance. It is more important how you interact with the children than with your peers.

This was me as well -- and likely why I got invited back. I am about as appropriate, clean, and trustworthy as one can be with kids, even if my interactions with everyone typically sucked back then and now (to a lesser extent). Basically, my face shines innocence, and this is why I usually get off easy when I screw up. Not sure how transferable this is.

blawdgharm
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Mar 2013, 7:53 pm

awesomeautist wrote

Quote:
What did you do wrong?

They never told me what I did wrong, if I had been told I would have tried to change to a better direction.

the reason I can't go back is a policy they have for those who quit or are fired They are worried that they will try and vandalize the property. This policy was put in place because this has happened in the past.
I have yet to find out why I wasnt paid though.

managertina
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2013, 1:19 am

I worked in a small summer camp style setting. I had an awesome supervisor. I had no knowledge of AS at the time, so I could always ask her.... ' why is the child crying? What do I say to make her feel better? Why is he acting out?' and she answered every single question.

Not every summer camp is the same. See if any of your family or if people in your class have worked there before.

WrongWay
Toucan
Toucan

20 Mar 2013, 12:50 am

Normally people will say no if social skills aren't up to par, but it really depends on the person. Even with AS it's possible to become reasonably good with interpersonal skills with enough practice and be suitable for such roles. I think visualise yourself working in the camp and asking yourself how well you think you'll fit in. If you're not sure think about any other similar situations where you're dealt with people in the past. Otherwise it seems you're interested and basing on that you might want to give it a try, if things don't work out well at least you'll have learnt from the experience.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2013, 6:18 pm

My son worked at a day camp last summer and really liked it. He did just fine. Little kids aren't turned off by how different he is, and find his ability to talk endlessly about fantasy and role playing games interesting.

One thing, though, is that he had tested out his skills with younger children by volunteering off and on at daycare, so he knew what he was in for, and that he could handle it.

I strongly recommend doing some volunteer work with kids to see if it would work for you. It will help with your job application, as well, to be able to show some experience.