Applying for a job in the Mental Health field...........

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Geekonychus
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2013, 9:12 am

There are some openings at our local state-run mental health organization, particularly in helping Adults with neurological disorders (low functioning autism, Schizophrenia, bipolar, etc) function in society. I have a degree with a minor in Pshychology and solid work experience that makes me more than qualified to be a counselor for "high risk" adults.

I also feel that being an Aspie will give me the ability to connect with and help these people more than most but I'm also worried it could be a liability to get it. Should I be concerned about this, especially if they find out about my condition? Do you think they would let someone on the spectrum do this kind of job if they found out?

MountainLaurel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2013, 1:19 pm

Quote:
Do you think they would let someone on the spectrum do this kind of job if they found out?

Do you live in the US? I ask because HPAA (the health privacy laws) are strict. There is very little that can be asked on job applications; they can ask whether you have a medical condition that will restrict your performing the job in question. Once they have offered a job they can ask what meds you take and whether you have been treated for a mental illness (but I have never been asked that).
http://www.ehow.com/info_7917051_health ... n-ask.html

Geek, go ahead and apply. You seem to be pretty well grounded and helpful, going by your posts here. You may make a difference to some in need.

ObserverGirl_4
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Apr 2013, 3:50 pm

Yeah, based on what MountainLaurel said, and the link, they can't do anything as long as you do your job well, and I'm guessing by the fact that you have solid work experience, that you've been able to handle a similar job before. I hope you're able to get the job, and that you enjoy it :)

Out of curiosity, what was that work you did like? Any advice?