Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Mirror
Toucan
Toucan

18 Jan 2007, 10:53 am

Do you think that aspies would make good comic book creators? Or would the lack of body language understandance hamper it? Or would that aspect really mater?

I ask because I'm creating a mini-comic* and so far it is all going well. The only trouble I'm running into are the facial expresions. I can never seem to quite capture the expression. And because of that I seem to have a minimal range of emotions going on.

But other then that it's readable and understandable. You get the flow of the story...kinda. (There's not much of a story,but more of a random day at school.) I'm just seeing where the comic is going because I don't have it planed at all!! :o

But,
If your the type of person who thinks about drawing all the time and have a story to tell,
I think that creating a comic is a pretty good job for you!! :D

*A self-published comic.

Sophrosyne
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Jan 2007, 8:10 pm

Mirror wrote:
Do you think that aspies would make good comic book creators? Or would the lack of body language understandance hamper it? Or would that aspect really mater?

I ask because I'm creating a mini-comic* and so far it is all going well. The only trouble I'm running into are the facial expresions. I can never seem to quite capture the expression. And because of that I seem to have a minimal range of emotions going on.

But other then that it's readable and understandable. You get the flow of the story...kinda. (There's not much of a story,but more of a random day at school.) I'm just seeing where the comic is going because I don't have it planed at all!! :o

But,
If your the type of person who thinks about drawing all the time and have a story to tell,
I think that creating a comic is a pretty good job for you!! :D

*A self-published comic.

If it's not possible to manage the intuitive way, there are always books that teach in a more analytical fashion the art of depicting facial expressions and body language. Maybe an aspie would have a more difficult time in placing the right emotion in the right situation, as such has been my own problem when writing stories.

markaudette
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2007, 8:22 pm

I tried creating a few small press comics. And I was inker on a professionally released comic book called "The Prince."

Eventually I gave up on doing comics because I ended having such a hard time drawing people's facial expressions. A very long time ago, when I was still doing small press comic books, a fellow artist mentioned that he thought it was interesting that I avoided showing people's facial expressions. At that point in my life, I didn't even have a clue about Asperger's. And I wasn't even aware I was advoiding drawing people's expressions.

And it was really tough, drawing expressions. Because in a way I didn't even want to look at my character's expressions.

I used to draw a small press comic called "Molly." And eventually it became do difficult to draw people that I gave the book up. I know that if I started the book up again, I could probably make it a success. But there's just no way I have enough energy to draw people's expressions in this day and age.

Eventually I took up drawing superhero comics. And I found a way to circumnavigate drawing facial expressions by giving as many charatcers as possible face shields and masks. Eventually I created a character called "The American Patriot" that emobied all the concepts I'd like to write about. And best of all he has a vaguely eagle-shaped mask.

markaudette
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2007, 10:07 pm

Maybe if you take the approach that you want to market the book as being the work of an Aspie, you could garner enough buzz to get your foot into some door somewhere.

But my advice to you is to have a well-sized body of work before you go public with your projects. Editors like to see a good sized cache of your work to make a decision upon.

:idea:

NateSean
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jan 2007, 9:31 am

Ah, so you're a tracer, eh? hehe.

I've been looking for an artist to collaborate on with a special project. If anyone is interested in helping me out drop me a line.

markaudette wrote:
I tried creating a few small press comics. And I was inker on a professionally released comic book called "The Prince."

karasu
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Feb 2007, 5:23 am

Mirror wrote:

Facial expressions come down to two main things: mouth and eyebrows. Basically, get a stack of comics, and use the context of what's happening in the images to deduce what the emotion being depicted is, and observe how the eyebrows and mouth are positioned. This is something I think most people have to learn, and can't do intuitively, so I wouldn't get too discouraged. ;) Luck!