Paying the price for past failures due to Aspergers

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

JohnConnor
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jun 2013, 1:16 pm

I just graduated this spring with a degree in History from the University of Cincinnati. Considering I had a lower middle class upbringing racked with failure, I am now thirty three years old and I was misunderstood by society in general up until the age of 26 I didn't do too bad. Final GPA was a 2.874. So at the end of my academic endeavours I figured out what I wanted to do with my life. I decided that I have no interest in moving up the ladder in retail or working in any type of sales position. I decided that I wanted to be a Government clerk. Why you may ask? Because that position will give me a steady ideal schedule: Monday through Friday 8-5 with weekends off. Of course I am strictly speaking in generalities. I am aware of the fact that not all government clerk jobs have those types of hours.

But now it seems that in order for me to lift myself out of the living hell that is retail I have some more skills I must acquire. I must figure out how to get my hands on general office automation hardware as well as experience with software. I got a start on that a couple of weeks ago by volunteering. Trying to get a government job in the United States is not an easy task. It takes most people six months to one year to even get accepted by the Federal Government, and even then it can take more time to get uploaded into the system. However I can use this time to my advantage as I am looking to aquire as much knowledge and experience with Office Automation hardware and software as possible.

Any suggestion on how else to obtain these skills is most welcome on this thread and of course greatly appreciated!

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2013, 1:39 pm

JohnConnor wrote:
I just graduated this spring with a degree in History from the University of Cincinnati. Considering I had a lower middle class upbringing racked with failure, I am now thirty three years old and I was misunderstood by society in general up until the age of 26 I didn't do too bad. Final GPA was a 2.874. So at the end of my academic endeavours I figured out what I wanted to do with my life. I decided that I have no interest in moving up the ladder in retail or working in any type of sales position. I decided that I wanted to be a Government clerk. Why you may ask? Because that position will give me a steady ideal schedule: Monday through Friday 8-5 with weekends off. Of course I am strictly speaking in generalities. I am aware of the fact that not all government clerk jobs have those types of hours.

But now it seems that in order for me to lift myself out of the living hell that is retail I have some more skills I must acquire. I must figure out how to get my hands on general office automation hardware as well as experience with software. I got a start on that a couple of weeks ago by volunteering. Trying to get a government job in the United States is not an easy task. It takes most people six months to one year to even get accepted by the Federal Government, and even then it can take more time to get uploaded into the system. However I can use this time to my advantage as I am looking to aquire as much knowledge and experience with Office Automation hardware and software as possible.

Any suggestion on how else to obtain these skills is most welcome on this thread and of course greatly appreciated!

I do have some further advice: I would also apply with state and local governments as well. They tend to hire more quickly, and the nonsense you have to put up with is less, though the pay can be lower too.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2013, 5:41 pm

JohnConnor wrote:
But now it seems that in order for me to lift myself out of the living hell that is retail I have some more skills I must acquire.

It is a living hell

As far as advancing your career, there seem to be endless hoops to jump through - just make sure you've got the right goal. One thing I regret is not sticking with things and making the best of them.

WestBender84
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jun 2013, 6:24 pm

A person needs applicable private sector experience to have a chance at a government job. The federal employment system is a morass of applications which never get read, and most state governments have a panel interview for every g*dd@mn3d position. Though illegal and nigh-impossible to document from outside, local governments don't consider anyone who's not the friend of the mayor or of a council member.

So basically, most Aspies are screwed out of government employment. I wouldn't be hard on yourself for failing to get a government job unless you're politically connected.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2013, 7:24 pm

WestBender84 wrote:
A person needs applicable private sector experience to have a chance at a government job. The federal employment system is a morass of applications which never get read, and most state governments have a panel interview for every g*dd@mn3d position. Though illegal and nigh-impossible to document from outside, local governments don't consider anyone who's not the friend of the mayor or of a council member.

So basically, most Aspies are screwed out of government employment. I wouldn't be hard on yourself for failing to get a government job unless you're politically connected.

You are right about getting on with the feds being an unbelievable paperwork morass. But I disagree strongly with your take on local governments. I worked for two of them, and work loosely connected with my local city and county governments right now. And I'm aspie, and knew none of these people when I was appointed. I also know a lot of city employees, and I would be very surprised if any of them have connections to the powers that be.

City, and even state employment are good for aspies, provided they can handle the petty regulations and rules, and the bosses who enforce them. It's steady work, and usually not overwhelmingly busy like you find sometimes in the private sector. especially in restaurant and retail.