Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

LonelyLoner
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Jul 2013, 8:20 pm

I'm in college right now doing my general studies. So I'm trying to figure out what to do as a career. I don't have any work experience and I can never pass interviews...(due to not knowing how to answer questions)

I like computers, and I hear IT is good for aspies. Is this true? and does anyone work in IT here and can you tell me how it is?

LookTwice
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jul 2013, 9:02 pm

I think you'll get more useful answers if you do some research first - there are a lot of different jobs in IT, each with its own challenges. Being a systems or network admin is different from being a software developer or a business analyst. I'd recommend trying to do things and see if you like them (e.g. learn how to set up an apache web server, how to configure linux; try learning a programming language and write a simple program). Then you can go from there, figure out whether you'd be able to handle the typical work environment and interactions. IT can be good if you like logic and fixing problems, but it can also be frustrating or boring, and not everyone is made for it.

LonelyLoner

20 Jul 2013, 10:00 pm

Ok I will look into those.

thanks!

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2013, 10:39 pm

I'm pursuing an Associates in Cyber Security. I hear good things about that branch of IT.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2013, 10:47 pm

I got good at C++ and looked for a job in 2000,

and what I found is that these clowns in "human resources" focus overwhelmingly on years of CORPORATE experience.

Cilantro
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jul 2013, 10:57 pm

You'll still have to interact with people to some extent in IT jobs, and you'll probably need to keep up with what's current in your specific field.

pi_woman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jul 2013, 11:23 pm

After 28 years of working as the only nerd in a branch of a large corporation, I'd recommend IT because you'll be working with other nerds who are much more likely to understand and respect you than the NTs in other departments.

savvyidentity
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jul 2013, 12:38 am

LonelyLoner wrote:
I'm in college right now doing my general studies. So I'm trying to figure out what to do as a career. I don't have any work experience and I can never pass interviews...(due to not knowing how to answer questions)

I like computers, and I hear IT is good for aspies. Is this true? and does anyone work in IT here and can you tell me how it is?

I did a course in graphic design and really thought designing graphics would be a great job for me because it mixes practical IT skills and creativity together. There is a psychology factor.. and all other many amounts of factors that are probably very common aspie interests. I think that would be a great career if it mixes a lot of your interests but has the downside you might have to do some freelance or volunteer work to get noticed by anyone or build up a CV/Resume. But the depth of it all! Completely amazing. There's a lot to it and I really loved the course but something happened blah blah and I didn't stick to it sadly.

skcuf
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Jul 2013, 2:16 pm

I just graduated with a bachelors degree titled "Security and Risk Analysis" from Penn State. They have a fairly good program and I have a job. My job isn't in computer security though so it sucks...I'm looking for a new one but I have to stick at this garbage job to pay for my college debt. I'm not lucky enough to have rich parents or poor parents so neither my parents nor the government paid for me to go to school...bunch of crap if you ask me.