Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

DancingDanny
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Sep 2013, 7:20 am

Yes, it is. I find that I want a "job" because I'm envious of other peoples status.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2013, 1:03 pm

Sense of personal pride, accomplishment, and self sufficiency.

Granted, I haven't been fully self sufficient for a while and have relied on the financial assistance of friends and family for a place to live for a fe years now. I greatly prefer this to being financially dependant on the state. I've felt as if I sign onto some sort of welfare or disability system and collect a monthly cheque that it would sort of solidify my (past) mental state as permanent and be like giving up/throwing in the towel etc and I just could NOT do that or I'd have been even more depressed about my inability to provide for myself despite my relative intelligence. So, I never have collected any sort of welfare. In hindsight, I'd be a bit better off financially if I had collected some form of assistance over the last few years.. but I don't regret not doing so as it was better for my mental health not to, to just persevere and figure out a way to get better.

My health is much better now and I've been back to work for a bit and continue to get better and better and look forward to being financially self sufficient in the near future. It's a much much better feeling than feeling like you're mooching off of taxpayers paying your way through life while you do nothing to help yourself. Granted, if you're incapable of helping yourself, that's a different story and what government assistance is for until you're well enough to get back to work.

Tori0326
Toucan
Toucan

04 Oct 2013, 11:50 pm

I've just gone back to work after 10 years of not working (if you don't count the two horrible weeks I worked in 2004 before I was let go). I certainly understand that some people with AS are more capable of working than others. Most of my problems have stemmed from dealing with other people in the workplace. Unfortunately, I didn't figure it out until recently that I would have probably done better in jobs that focused on working on something inanimate rather than dealing with people. I was always falling into service or medical jobs that are very people intensive. I went back to school and focused on computers so now I'm a computer programmer and there's more leeway to be odd and not socially adept. The CEO came by the other day and said he's been hearing good things about me. That's never happened to me before. I'm used to getting a list of complaints which usually comes after I failed to pick up on things intuitively. It's still new but I'm hopeful this doesn't all crash and burn too. At least there's the option to find a position working from home or freelance if the people issues persist.

I do like being able to support myself once again and not always depending upon someone else. I was married until 4 years ago and then living with my parents and then I moved in with my gf who was working and supporting us. I didn't like living on the edge like that. Maybe we'd have a fight and break up and then what? I have a 5 year old and it's my responsibility to make sure he's cared for so I'm trying really hard to not give anyone bad impressions at work, even if I don't really know what that is all the time.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2013, 1:25 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Sense of personal pride, accomplishment, and self sufficiency.

Yeah. The stigma of being on social security is too great to deal with. It should be a last resort if possible. But then dealing with a childish work force that's blind to the struggles of people on the spectrum can be just horrible. So can see both sides.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2013, 7:16 pm

I don't even know why I even bother putting out resumes! I'm pissed as all hell right now because the applications I put out for a telecommute gig was rejected AGAIN. I AM SO SICK AND TIRED OF THE BULLS***! THERE'S NO FSCKING WAY I'M GOING BACK TO PIZZA DELIVERY!

DizzleJWizzle
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Oct 2013, 9:01 pm

why not kill ceo's of fortune 2000 corporations :evil:

DizzleJWizzle
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Oct 2013, 1:23 pm

i guess the corporations don't like progress... jobs today are ... break it... fix it... repeat that is your job... stupidity

Nick9075
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Oct 2013, 10:52 pm

I am pretty much unemployable. Whenever I manage to get a job (which is usually only temporary, it ends suddenly with no warning after a week or two for very vague and general reasons usually 'they didn't think you were the right fit' or 'you weren't 'ramping up' quickly enough and they weren't confident in your ability to do the work.. Never was any prior warning or hint.. Because of my terrible work history, at the age of 38 I am pretty much unemployable. I have a degree in Accounting & Finance and never had a career in the field and really now it is too late.
Its great hearing all these corporate 'professionals' in their late 20's with their advice when they know damn well they wouldn't hire someone with a poor work history and would probably just summarily reject that candidates Resume in the first five seconds

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2013, 2:58 am

DizzleJWizzle wrote:

Killing for them is far more lucrative.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2013, 3:49 am

EsotericResearch wrote:
Even if they "abused" you growing up it is still I don't know, just in my view something necessary.

Why have you put abused in quotes? You are sick in the head if you think people should live with and support their abusive relatives.

DizzleJWizzle
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Oct 2013, 12:41 pm

well i'm stuck here... with the odsp (welfare be so low) and no job(discrimination) .... i end up with no money....
combine that with copyright crap on the internet and bills...
i got minimum cash flow...

i get fired for completing the job.... it is BS.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2013, 5:48 pm

jay gould believed he could hire one-half of the working class to murder the other half. if there would be any justice in this world, the remaining one-half would tar and feather jay gould [back in the day].

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2013, 6:00 pm

Dox47 wrote:
DizzleJWizzle wrote:

But how do you get over the whole awfulness of killing? I was a pretty good shot when I was young (now my eyes are old) But this seems like the perfect job. High pay, work alone, no customer service skills necessary. But that pesky taking of a life . . .

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2013, 6:06 pm

Ann2011 wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
DizzleJWizzle wrote:

But how do you get over the whole awfulness of killing? I was a pretty good shot when I was young (now my eyes are old) But this seems like the perfect job. High pay, work alone, no customer service skills necessary. But that pesky taking of a life . . .

if god were standing next to me, I would be wary of saying I wanted to murder somebody.

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2013, 4:07 am

Why do I bother? Because I want to act, not be acted upon. I think the first real taste of what it means to work I got from my callcenter job on my first day on the floor. It was a realization that the system we log cases into is a production system, not a toy, not a test system, not something that deletes itself after the semester. I really made something more-or-less permanent, not something just for the sake of keeping me busy...

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!