Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

soulburner
Raven
Raven

08 Dec 2013, 8:49 pm

im looking for a job and no luck so far. im 20 and i still live at home. im not in school because i cant drive and i have noone to take me. im looking for jobs online and everyone is still making me feel bad about being home all day and doing. please dont bash me on this. i already feel horrible enough. dont need anyone else to kick me down.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 10:07 pm

online is a great place to look for jobs. what type of work are you looking for?

soulburner
Raven
Raven

08 Dec 2013, 10:17 pm

retail work like stock shelves or pushing carts back into their stations. also jobs where i just sweep and clean

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 10:22 pm

Are you looking for jobs online or looking for online jobs?

It sounds like your looking for jobs you can do from home.

soulburner
Raven
Raven

08 Dec 2013, 10:25 pm

im searching for jobs but im using a computer to do it

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 10:41 pm

Ok cool. We can def help you with that.

What are your interests?

What are you good at?

What are you "hell the f' no" at?

soulburner
Raven
Raven

08 Dec 2013, 10:46 pm

well this is embarrassing but my interests are video games, writing, music and computers.

well i dont know truly what my strengths and weakness are until i find a job to find out

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 10:59 pm

I bet you will find a job soon. and keep writing. ray Bradbury drove cab to make a living while writing great stuff.

soulburner
Raven
Raven

08 Dec 2013, 11:02 pm

thanks. i hope its real soon so i stop feeling bad

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2013, 1:08 am

When you say you can't drive, do you mean you actually can't, or just that you don't have your licence yet? If it's the latter, getting driving lessons if you could would really help matters.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

VAGraduateStudent
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Dec 2013, 12:31 pm

Electronic stores like Best Buy are great starter jobs if you'd like to get into the computer industry. I can also tell you from personal experience that anything having to do with computers is very aspie-friendly.

If you can't get a job, you could try to get an unpaid internship to build experience. Lots of smaller computer service stores will do this because they can't afford to hire. It's MUCH easier to get a job if you've had an internship.

You should try hard to either learn to drive or get used to taking a bus. It can be disasterous for aspies to get stuck at home. A lot of people delay driving. It's hard to get used to what seems to be an unpredictable and dangerous environment. But you get used to it.

You could also start looking at community colleges or part time college to study something involving computers or gaming. It's harder to get into a gaming career, but if you know the basics (networking, programming, etc) you'd be qualified for both gaming and regular computer jobs.

Good luck!

soulburner
Raven
Raven

09 Dec 2013, 1:48 pm

well i do not know how to drive. there is no busses or train in my town. best buy is not in my town. there's meier's and walmart. the community college is in the next town

VAGraduateStudent
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Dec 2013, 1:53 pm

Time to learn how to drive then. You don't want to be stuck. And trust me, you'll feel better if you have independence.

Any store where you can get into the electronics/computer section would be good. You need to try as hard as you can to get a job within your interest areas, otherwise you'll be miserable. Employment success for aspies depends largely on being able to use your natural talents and interests.

There are a few employment for aspies books that might help. Temple Grandin wrote one but there are lots others.

soulburner
Raven
Raven

09 Dec 2013, 1:57 pm

i would but i cant. there's a driving school in my town but you have to pay for it and i dont have the money for it. i dont have anyone in my family to show it

Niko_Oeyes
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Dec 2013, 4:39 am

I know how you feel. I'm 23 with no license or job. I've had a couple jobs since high school, but was miserable and I had meltdowns a lot. I did complete half a major for biology and a year for art, but financial reasons made me quit. I'm in a real predicament because I have no money to get my license now or even to go to a doctor to get help with my mental issues. I think I'm an Apsie and a therapist suggested ADHD but no one seems to take me seriously. My home life has never been stable and I'm technically homeless right now. Be glad your not me.

superluminary
Toucan
Toucan

13 Dec 2013, 9:48 am

If you like computers have you ever tried programming? All you need is a machine, an internet connection, a text editor and a quiet place to work. It's richly fulfilling and lucrative to boot.

I could point you at some resources if you like :)