Best job for ASD/AS tech degree in U.S. is a patent examiner

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2013, 4:00 am

I am telling my fellow AD/AS friends here....

If you live in the U.S., then consider working at the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office as a patent examiner. I have worked there 9.5 years now.

Once you establish you can work independently, then you can work from home 24/7 never going into work. You are allowed to flex your schedule, so you work when you want to work. You work on your computer, and rarely speak or interact with anyone. You can live anywhere in the U.S.

The pay starts at about 70-80k and after 3-4 years is about 80-100k, after 5-8 years 120-140k. That does not count bonuses. You work overtime which I found easy to hit the 140k mark after about four years.

They are presently only hiring computer science/engineers, mechanical engineers, electrical engineer grads now, see link below, however, they do hire for other degrees like medical/chemical engineering/business grads/physics/photography and perhaps mathematics.

You have to be a U.S. citizen, and have a degree in the technical area.

If you are interested in this kind of work then call their HR department, and speak with someone. You can speak with a unit hiring manager and find out when they will have career events or the hiring process. They can probably tell you when a particular unit will be hiring.

I am only telling you all this cause you just don't know how great this job can be for an ASD/AS person.

I was fired or quit due to stress like nine jobs I think before I got this job. This job was made for us.

Here is their present job listings ...

https://www.usajobs.gov/Search?Keyword= ... cted=False

I will answer any questions.

Kernel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Dec 2013, 5:39 am

Brilliant.

Esther
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2013, 9:16 am

Sounds ideal.

Am curious, what does a patent examiner do?

Am glad it's worked out for you.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2013, 11:45 am

Esther wrote:
Sounds ideal.

The process goes like this ...

1. Patent application is received
2. Patent examiner reviews application
3. Patent examiner performs a patent search for prior existing invention using technical databases
4. Patent examiner makes a determination if patent should be granted
5. Patent examiner fills-in pre-formatted legal documents to send to the inventor
that either grants the invention as a patent, or rejects it

The big components of the job are the "patent search", "filling in the pre-formatted documents", and making all the proper legal
determinations. Their is constant legal training so examiners are kept up to date on what they need to do.

The job is boring for sure, however, since they give us a lot of time, I find it to be manageable.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2013, 11:46 am

Esther wrote:
Sounds ideal.

The process goes like this ...

1. Patent application is received
2. Patent examiner reviews application
3. Patent examiner performs a patent search for prior existing invention using technical databases on a computer search from home
4. Patent examiner makes a determination if patent should be granted
5. Patent examiner fills-in pre-formatted legal documents to send to the inventor
that either grants the invention as a patent, or rejects it

The big components of the job are the patent search, filling in the pre-formatted documents, and making all the proper legal
determinations. We have constant legal training so examiners are kept up to date on what they need to do.

The job can be boring at times, however, since they give us a lot of time, I find it to be manageable.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2013, 12:11 pm

It sounds ideal.

koloa
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Jan 2014, 12:56 pm

Hi LoveNoHate,
I was wondering if you could offer some advice to a new examiner. Although I am meeting production using techniques I've learned over the few months in my art unit (computer software/electrical), I am sure there are better ways in examining new cases and answering amendments. How do you plan and schedule your work throughout the bi-week? Do you first write the non-finals and then once you meet production, do you start answering amendments? Are amendments more difficult than writing first action non-finals?

Thanks for any help!