Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2013, 5:56 pm

So I've been doing this job for almost two months now full time. I really like it but my schedule doesn't arrive until the evening before and can be changed on the day with very little notice. I get really stressed out by this, but am trying to cope. I am forcing myself to be adaptable, but it's difficult.
Any tips? I'm starting to get constant dis-orientation.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2013, 3:49 am

Ouch that stinks.

The only thing I can add is to keep on reminding yourself that you are very fortunate that you have a job and you like it. Or just look forward to the things you like there.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

managertina
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2013, 1:25 pm

Maybe you can pick out the things that you tend to do regularly as part of your job, and instead of expecting the time you will be doing them, appreciate that you know what you will be doing. Even if you don't know the exact time they will happen, just that they will happen. Then, at the beginning of your shift before you time in, review the exact 'what is happening' schedule of the day.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2013, 9:01 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Or just look forward to the things you like there.

managertina wrote:
Even if you don't know the exact time they will happen, just that they will happen.

This is what makes my job workable. It is stressful to not know my exact schedule until it practically happens, but when I'm doing the job I enjoy it and I think I'm okay at it. So this makes the stress worth it.

I didn't mention what I'm doing . . . dog walking/cat sitting. It's much more physical than I anticipated, but I absolutely love working with animals.