So what's office life like for you adults?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

JoeDaBro
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Jan 2014, 11:32 am

Title says it all.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2014, 11:46 am

Heavenly depends on the office and the people. I worked two times in an office with mostly rather geeky, very silent people, that liked to work focused and everything was very organized, and there was a system for everything. That was, really, really nice.

While I worked as well with rather extroverted people, that did yelling chatting during working day, and where everyone was allowed to have his own kind of organization or non-organization.

That was simply horrible. One of those was the only job I ever quitted. After 6 months I simply was totally burnt out and exhausted, and came home crying, without being able to explain to my partner why. So there were no particular bad things happening that day, but simply the amount of all that chaos and s**t and noise was too much for me.

JoeDaBro
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Jan 2014, 3:18 pm

Schneekugel wrote:
Heavenly depends on the office and the people. I worked two times in an office with mostly rather geeky, very silent people, that liked to work focused and everything was very organized, and there was a system for everything. That was, really, really nice.

While I worked as well with rather extroverted people, that did yelling chatting during working day, and where everyone was allowed to have his own kind of organization or non-organization.

That was simply horrible. One of those was the only job I ever quitted. After 6 months I simply was totally burnt out and exhausted, and came home crying, without being able to explain to my partner why. So there were no particular bad things happening that day, but simply the amount of all that chaos and sh** and noise was too much for me.

I see... Salvage any stolen paperclips?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2014, 3:29 pm

JoeDaBro wrote:

Same as high school; complete with bullies, "It Girls", slackers, stoners, nerds, high-achievers, suck-ups, and a false sense of adequacy that is easily crushed by the arrival of a "new kid" who makes everyone else look like clumsy, brain-damaged Neanderthals.

Although no one has had a "swirly" in recent memory ...

b_edward
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Jan 2014, 4:14 pm

I struggle with a few things at the office like:

* People give me an initial answer on something, and when I try to clarify(because they answered the wrong question) they will think I'm trying to push my luck, or push the envelope, or what have you, and they will do everything they can to shut me up.

* I'm the one who doesn't get the key to the storage room, doesn't get the password to the server, etc. I think it is because they don't trust me due to what they see as shiftiness, overly-hesitant behavior (they think if you hesitate before doing and saying things, you are trying to hide something)

* I get lectured a lot on "worrying too much" or told "we'll cross that bridge when we come to it" (even if my original concern is still perfectly valid at this juncture) and other such cliches.

* People discount what I say, and then later they blame me later for "not having communicated it to them"

* Many of the more strong-minded NT engineer types are poised and ready, to say "Wait I have no idea what you are talking about" as soon as I open my mouth. Example -- Me: "Hey Todd, you know that defect we talked about yester..." -- The other guy: "Wait! Hold on! You're not making any sense! I have no idea what you're talking about!"

This stuff is a lot less intense where I'm at right now, for which I'm grateful. It was really bad in my last job.

JoeDaBro
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Jan 2014, 11:16 am

Fnord wrote:
JoeDaBro wrote:

Same as high school; complete with bullies, "It Girls", slackers, stoners, nerds, high-achievers, suck-ups, and a false sense of adequacy that is easily crushed by the arrival of a "new kid" who makes everyone else look like clumsy, brain-damaged Neanderthals.

Although no one has had a "swirly" in recent memory ...

I thought all neurotypicals were clumsy and br-Oh wait, I have to count backwards from 100 now. 94, 76, 77, 79, 406, 2, :lol: , Bob Bobert, and 3. I do good?

corvuscorax
Toucan
Toucan

27 Jan 2014, 7:45 am

It's not too bad. Much better than customer service. My biggest struggle is not feeling nervous around people being friendly. But the people there seem nice. Its hard to tell who is genuinely nice and who is a "wolf in sheep's clothing", so I'm cautious.

"Don't be That One Aspie..."

JoeDaBro
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 May 2014, 2:14 pm

corvuscorax wrote:
It's not too bad. Much better than customer service. My biggest struggle is not feeling nervous around people being friendly. But the people there seem nice. Its hard to tell who is genuinely nice and who is a "wolf in sheep's clothing", so I'm cautious.

Ok.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2014, 4:13 pm

I've been in a few different offices over time. The worst one was a great big open plan office attached to a factory. There was this awful them and us separation between the factory workers and the office workers. There were just too many people and it was such a horrible cold, corporate space. Thankfully i was only there on a temping contract. I was offered 3 more weeks of work and turned it down because I hated that place so much.

Best office I've worked in is my current one. We are all quirky and I feel like my need for solitude is respected. I am given a task and left alone to work on it and that just works for us. There are no social niceties, no birthday card, anniversary, new baby cards that go around for anyone to sign. No office parties of any kind. Others might find it an impersonal office, but we really do all get along well and we don't need to fake it with adhering to pointless social customs to prove that we like each other. We just get on with our jobs and collaborate when we need to. It's a very aspie friendly office.

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2014, 4:27 pm

hurtloam wrote:
Best office I've worked in is my current one. We are all quirky and I feel like my need for solitude is respected. I am given a task and left alone to work on it and that just works for us. There are no social niceties, no birthday card, anniversary, new baby cards that go around for anyone to sign. No office parties of any kind. Others might find it an impersonal office, but we really do all get along well and we don't need to fake it with adhering to pointless social customs to prove that we like each other. We just get on with our jobs and collaborate when we need to. It's a very aspie friendly office.
:lol: Haha, that sounds like my last office! I still keep in contact via text or email with my old coworkers.

New office is a bit more of that, cards and parties, etc. We've always got these theme days at work too and casual fridays... I don't 'get' why people like them so much, but, as my VP also oversees the team that schedules these days, I feel like our whole group is kind of obligated to participate.

Aside from wearing an Oilers jersey on hockey appreciation day or whatever when everyone else was wearing the Blues, I think I've done okay.