Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Ashuahhe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 1:46 am

I have a problem with a co-worker. I'll call her Jane

(Background: I am not sure what her role is in within the company, it is very unclear. According to my co-workers she is my supervisors assistant, I talked with my boss today too. The boss says she is all-rounder manager and supposed to help the workflow. I work at factory that makes bulletproof armour, I make some parts of the armour itself. She has a reputation of being bossy)

Jane seems to think she is the boss of the company. Thanks to a confrontation today, I am now her target. This past month she has been behind my back watching every move I make and criticizing my work. Nothing seems to please her. Today I decided to stand up for myself and politely tell her to stop her micromanaging me. Afterwards she went to the boss and had a talk about me. At the end of the day I talked with my boss about the confrontation, apparently she has a right to micromanage me because that's what she does. To make sure I wasn't going crazy I had a talk too with my supervisor about the problem, according to him she doesn't have a right to do that.

Overall, no one in the company really likes her because of her behavior. I've looked up some ways to deal with bad co-workers but unsure of how to approach this situation.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 8:42 am

I'd need to know more about where you work (nation), how long you've worked there, and what options you might have internally.

While not specified in the USA as a actionable offense (tort), threatening to file a complaint with the authorities because a co-worker is creating a "hostile work environment" sometimes gets results, but you have to cover your butt so you aren't the one acted against.

Even if your co-worker's job IS to supervise your work, to nitpick insignificant flaws is harassment. Her actions should be met with formal complaints to the proper person in the company and outside authorities, but you have to do it correctly so you don't get bitten for defending yourself.

Her need to micromanage is a character flaw with HER, and management should deal with that rather than tolerate it.

Ashuahhe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 1:53 pm

I work in Australia. This is good, solid advice, I'll see what I can do. I have a disability case worker that takes care of my work, I've already sent her an email about the co worker. Yes, it is harassment and everyone else knows that besides the co worker and boss

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2014, 5:00 pm

The way I would handle it is if she wants to micromanage me, then she's gonna micromanage me. I would go to her with every tiny question about every tiny thing. I'd sound so sincere too - "Jane, I'm unsure if I'm doing this right and I'd like you to come tell me if I am" then when she criticizes it, go back in 30 minutes and ask her to come check again to see if it's better. When you have mastered that skill to her satisfaction, pick another one. Keep this up until she tells you to stop it. Every time she comes back and tries to micromanage you, start it up again.

That is honestly how I would do it. Don't do it in a sarcastic way, do it in a sincere sounding way and do your work well so they can't accuse you of causing trouble. If asked, just tell them that she's found so much wrong with everything you do, that you want to make sure you are doing it right.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com